Author Topic: The Ashes 2006/07  (Read 2164 times)

Diesel1

• Getbig V
The Ashes 2006/07
« on: November 21, 2006, 06:44:35 AM »
Welcome to the Ashes thread. The place to be for the next couple of months to discuss all things Ashes related.

Well it's here at long last. Englands defence of the Ashes and our first chance since the 86/87 series to retain the urn on Aussie soil.

I tell ya! beating the Aussies on their own patch is gonna be so fucking sweet. They're such sore losers... even their Prime Minister has been known to throw a tantrum when an Australian team loses to the English.  

Seriously though, if the series is half as good as the 2005 series (England 2 Australia 1  ;D) then we'll all be in for a treat. Bring it on...

My prediction, England to retain the Ashes 2-1

Fixtures
1st Test - Brisbane
23-27 Nov

2nd Test - Adelaide
1-5 Dec

3rd Test - Perth
14-18 Dec

4th Test - Melbourne
26-30 Dec

5th Test - Sydney
2-6 Jan

Diesel1

• Getbig V
Re: The Ashes 2006/07
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 09:11:17 AM »
Ponting: We're back to our best
RICKY PONTING is never short of a word or two - especially when the Ashes are on the agenda.

The Australia captain has views on everything from who would make England's best skipper to Aussie tactics - as well as the reasons for their 2005 downfall.

Typically Ponting, 31, feigned surprise at the appointment of Andrew Flintoff as England captain, keeping in with the Australian tradition of attempting to undermine the opposition before they have stepped off the plane.

And he has thrown down the gauntlet to emerging left-arm spinner Monty Panesar by claiming Australia’s top order will attack him.

Untypically, though, for an Aussie captain, Ponting is having to broach the subject of avenging defeat to England.

“It’s a huge series for the team,” Ponting said.

“To be the first one to hand over the Ashes in 18 years was something the players were embarrassed and ashamed about.

“England will face a better Australian team than they did last time.”

Australia have since won 11 of their 12 Tests, which Ponting feels is evidence of their improvement since the 2-1 defeat.

“We’ve worked really hard on our games and performances,” added Ponting.

“Everything is heading in the right direction and everything isn’t smooth sailing for England. I’m confident we’ll play well - we’ve brought our games on a long way since the end of the Ashes.”

Not that the run has been without hiccups, however, with Bangladesh close to a shock success at Fatullah earlier this year prior to a fightback and modest three-wicket win.

Three of the other victories were at home to West Indies, whose travel sickness is well-renowned, and although South Africa played hard cricket they are not the force they were a handful of years ago.

So Ponting and Co can expect a much tougher proposition even though injury-hit England will be missing Michael Vaughan and Simon Jones, two of the leading protagonists in the 2005 epic.

“We know it will be a big challenge again and if they have a 90 per cent fully-fit team they will be very competitive,” Ponting said.

“But in our conditions, with our crowds, and with us being a better team now than we certainly were then, I’d like to think the result will be a bit different this time.”

Although Ashley Giles is the veteran of the English touring party at the age of 33, Ponting expects Panesar to be the spin threat, and a serious one at that.

“He’s got this cult figure behind him, but more importantly for them, he’s actually doing the job for them on the field,” Ponting said.

“A lot of the Englishmen over the years have been a bit guilty of just firing the ball in a bit too fast, and you can see with him he uses the air a lot more.

“He’s got good, subtle changes of pace and a really good arm ball as well.

“Giles did what the team required of him, but it looks like this guy can actually do both - keep it reasonably tight if needed and when it starts to turn a bit more, he can bowl some pretty handy deliveries as well.

“His fielding and batting might need a little bit of work and I’m sure the Australian crowds will let him know about that when they’re out here, I watched him under a high ball in India and he actually turned his back and ran away.

“But overall he looks a pretty good player.”

Ponting revealed that the Australian openers, Matthew Hayden and Justin Langer, would adopt an aggressive approach to negate Panesar.

“The left-handers especially, Justin and Matty, the way they generally play spin is to be fairly aggressive,” Ponting said.

“We’ll try to make some sort of impact on him early on - hopefully a positive one - and we don’t let him get on top of us.”

Seasoned Ashes campaigner Glenn McGrath is nearing full fitness and is expected to pose the biggest new-ball threat at the age of 36, although Ponting is increasingly enthused by Mitchell Johnson, who is able to get the ball through at 90-miles-per-hour.

“A left-armer who can bowl that sort of pace and can swing the ball is an exciting prospect for anyone,” he said.

“With age on his side as well, as captain of the national side you do lick your lips at those sorts of prospects.”

Johnson, who will be 25 when the Ashes begins at his home ground of Brisbane on November 23, was tipped for the top as a teenager by none other than fast-bowling great Dennis Lillee but a catalogue of injuries disrupted his progress.

He got his chance in one-day internationals earlier this year and has been tipped to feature against Flintoff’s men.

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
  • Hesitation doesn't come easily in this blood...
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 10:13:18 AM »
As a Englishman with a realistic nature, I would like to say now that we're going to get eating alive. :'(
الاسلام هو شيطانية

Diesel1

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 10:52:02 AM »
As a Englishman with a realistic nature, I would like to say now that we're going to get eating alive. :'(

Have some faith my son  :)

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2006, 10:58:50 AM »
Have some faith my son  :)

Have you seen the results from our recent games? :'(
الاسلام هو شيطانية

Diesel1

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2006, 10:59:45 AM »
A brief history of the Ashes

England v Australia is the oldest continuous international cricket fixture, dating back to the first meeting at Melbourne in March 1877. Australia won then by 45 runs and, going into this winter's series, they now hold an advantage of 125 wins to England's 95, with the other 86 of the 301 matches drawn.

The early years – England won the first home encounter at the Oval in 1880, but at the same ground on the next Australian tour in August 1882 they suffered their first home defeat, which prompted the famous obituary notice for English cricket in the Sporting Times. It led a group of Australian ladies the following winter to present the touring English captain, the Hon Ivo Bligh, with a small urn containing the ashes of a bail (or it may be a ball or even a veil).

Since the series of three matches played in that 1882-83 season Test matches between England and Australia have been deemed a contest for the Ashes, with the palm changing hands only when one side gains an outright series victory. Bligh's widow presented the urn to MCC after his death in 1927 and, apart from special exhibitions, it never leaves Lord's, although a replica has been presented to the victorious captain in some recent series.

England, captained by such giants as W.G. Grace, Arthur Shrewsbury and A.E. Stoddart, were dominant in this early period and Australia held the Ashes only once during the 12 series played between 1883 and 1896.

1900s – hard as A.C. MacLaren tried, he ended up on the losing side in four series against Australia but between times first Pelham Warner, Down Under in 1903-04, and then the Hon F.S. Jackson, at home in 1905, ensured that England had their moments of triumph too.

1910s – a period cut short by the First World War but dominated by England. Johnny Douglas's side lost the first match at Sydney but remarkably won the next four. C.B. Fry captained England to a 1-0 win in the three-match series of 1912 that formed part of the Triangular Tournament with South Africa.

1920s – Australia's dominance at the start of this period, under Warwick Armstrong and Herbie Collins, was almost as great as in the recent period: three series played, 12 wins to Australia, one to England. But Percy Chapman, in his first Test as captain, led an England side that included Wilfred Rhodes, recalled at the age of 48, to a famous win at the Oval in 1926 to seize back the Ashes and he followed that with a magnificent 4-1 success Down Under in 1928-29 when Wally Hammond, with 905 runs in the series, outshone the debutant Don Bradman and England never looked back after winning the inaugural Test at Brisbane by a gargantuan 675 runs.

1930s – the Bradman era and the decade that produced the most notorious of all Anglo-Australian clashes, the Bodyline series of 1932-33, in which the strategy of England's captain, Douglas Jardine – short-pitched, leg-side bowling by Harold Larwood, Bill Voce and Bill Bowes to a packed field – provoked unprecedented acrimony and even threatened relations between the two countries; but it achieved its aim of curbing Bradman's runmaking: the master batsman averaged a mere 56.57 runs in each innings as opposed to his career mark of 99.94. England won the series 4-1, but it was their only success of the period as Bradman, and a pretty useful supporting cast, carried all before him in a series of narrow series wins. England came closest under Gubby Allen – who had refused to bowl Bodyline on the Jardine tour – went down 3-2 in 1936-37 and then Hammond's side drew 1-1 in 1938, when Len Hutton scored a then world Test record score of 364 at the Oval in the last Ashes match before the Second World War.

1940s – Ashes cricket resumed in the winter of 1946-47 with Hammond and Bradman again leading their countries and Bradman again victorious, 3-0. Norman Yardley had taken over when Bradman, on his last tour, brought the 1948 "Invincibles" to England for a mighty 4-0 victory.

1950s – a memorable decade for England, although they started and ended it with crushing defeats; it was also the first period in which The Times sent its own Cricket Correspondent to cover overseas tours. Freddie Brown's side went down 4-1 in 1950-51 as Australia asserted their authority, but a single victory under Len Hutton at the Oval in 1953 brought the crowds swarming on to the ground as Denis Compton made the winning hit that brought the Ashes back to England for the first time in 20 years. The fast bowling of Frank Tyson helped Hutton to follow up with a mighty 3-1 triumph Down Under in 1954-55 and then Jim Laker, 19 wickets at Old Trafford and 46 in the series, bowled England to a 2-1 success in 1956. England returned to Australia in 1958-59 with an apparently strong side and high hopes of success but Richie Benaud's men scuppered them 4-0.

1960s – Australia held the Ashes throughout this decade of fairly unexciting cricket, first under Richie Benaud and then under the leadership of their opening batsmen, Bob Simpson and Bill Lawry opposed to sides led by Peter May, Ted Dexter, Mike Smith and Colin Cowdrey. There was never much in it, however: it was 2-1 in 1961, 1-0 in 1964, and the other three series all ended 1-1.

1970s – a decade that began and ended well for England. Ray Illingworth's side gained a 2-0 victory Down Under in 1970-71 and held on to the Ashes with a 2-2 draw at home in 1972. However, Australia launched Dennis Lillee and Jeff Thomson on the England batsmen in 1974-75 and Mike Denness's side was crushed 4-1. Ian Chappell was victorious the following summer in England, but the margin was only 1-0. With Kerry Packer's World Series Cricket taking many of Australia's top players at the end of the 1970s Mike Brearley reclaimed the Ashes for England with a 3-0 triumph at home in 1977 and then a crushing 5-1 win over Graeme Yallop's "lambs" in Australia in 1978-79.

1980s – the last time England held the Ashes and could hold their heads high against Australia; this decade included 1981, the immortal summer of Ian Botham, whose all-round deeds after he had handed over the captaincy to Mike Brearley brought England a 3-1 triumph amid national rejoicing: 50, 149 and 6-95 at Headingley, 5-11 at Edgbaston, 118 and five more wickets at Old Trafford, and ten wickets in the match at the Oval. Although Bob Willis's side lost 2-1 Down Under in 1982-83, David Gower (1985) and then Mike Gatting (1986-87) were both victorious, only for Gower to cede the Ashes again, 4-0, to Allan Border in 1989 at the start of Australia's period of modern domination.

1990s – a period of total Australian ascendancy: five series won out of five, and of 27 matches played, Australia won 16, England only five. Shane Warne, the Waugh twins, Glenn McGrath under the captaincy of Border, Mark Taylor and Steve Waugh have seen off a succession of England sides led by Graham Gooch, Michael Atherton, Alec Stewart and Nasser Hussain.

2000s - the first decade of the new millennium began in the same way as its predecessor with Australian supremacy: a series in England and a series in Australia were each won 4-1 by the Australians under the captaincy of Steve Waugh. Although Nasser Hussain, England's leader in both series, in conjunction with the coach Duncan Fletcher, introduced a new steel into their side's play against other countries, they were still a distant second to the old enemy.

The 2005 series has been acknowledged as the best ever contested between the two old rivals. The closeness of the matches - apart from the first at England's least happy hunting ground, Lord's, which resulted in a thumping victory for Australia - and the excellent spirit in which they were played gripped the attention of the media and the country as never before.

After the dreadful start England fought back to win the second Test at Edgbaston by two runs and, after the Australians had hung on by the skin of their teeth to draw the third at Old Trafford, England claimed the fourth at Trent Bridge by three wickets. Amid an extraordinary outpouring of emotion at the Oval the final Test was drawn to secure the Ashes for England for the first time since 1987.

Michael Vaughan, the captain, and his men - notably the mighty all-rounder Andrew "Freddie" Flintoff - became national heroes and were feted with an open-top bus parade in London as well as visits to Downing Street and Buckingham Palace. For the losers Shane Warne, the master leg spinner, secured his place among the game's immortals by bowling as cunningly as ever to keep his team in the hunt.

Now the whole of Australia awaits the chance to take its hold on the urn again.

ozman

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2006, 11:09:19 AM »
It's ours this time mate ;D

Diesel1

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2006, 11:15:04 AM »
Have you seen the results from our recent games? :'(

One dayers don't count mate. Be bleedin' positive Norris, there might be Aussies reading this  ;)

Diesel1

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2006, 11:21:02 AM »
It's ours this time mate ;D

Famous last words

Your MAAAAaaaa

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • GETBIGS MINISTER OF SEXUAL HEALTH
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2006, 11:28:15 AM »
We have as much chance as Dennis Wise has of not falling out Ken Master Bates.

We travel poorly and we were lucky McGrath was injured over here.

I am rooting for us but cried when Jones was put back into the team, he is so shit at batting and we need all the batting we can fucking get!

ta ta
Pm me for STI advice @ NO COST

davidpaul

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2006, 01:32:59 PM »
come on monty!!!!

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2006, 05:36:25 PM »
much as i liked watching the english win...i feel so sorry for em sometimes...it aint gonna be a repeat folks...

prediction...

the aussies kick em past a month of sundays...
carpe` vaginum!

Diesel1

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2006, 10:49:17 AM »
Only 4 1/2 hours to go. Good news, Ian Bell has been passed fit to play in the first test  :)

It's gonna be a tough opening game, the Aussies haven't lost a home Ashes opener for 20 years. Time to set that record straight... come on England  8)

1st Test venue The 'Gabba'  42,000 capacity

the shadow

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • THE FLAG OF THE ZAPATISTA ARMY OF LIBERATION
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2006, 10:54:53 AM »
I HATE CRICKET..ITS THE GAME FOR THE PUSSIES
RATM RULZ THE WORLD

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2006, 12:02:17 PM »
Being of Scottish heritage (Glaswegian but now living near Birmingham) I care not for cricket. I barely know the rules.

But I hope England do well as I consider myself British more than anything and we're all one island after all.

My prediction - a draw.

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2006, 01:46:28 PM »
Being of Scottish heritage (Glaswegian but now living near Birmingham) I care not for cricket. I barely know the rules.

But I hope England do well as I consider myself British more than anything and we're all one island after all.

My prediction - a draw.

Q: When the England footy team play, do you, like most Scots hope England lose?
الاسلام هو شيطانية

Diesel1

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2006, 06:38:57 PM »
Australia won the toss and batted, they're at 109 for 1 at lunch. The Aussies seem to be going after Steve Harmison, a tatic that seems to be working. Freddie 18 for 1  8)

We need a quick wicket after lunch

Fuck this I'm off to bed

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2006, 01:38:33 AM »
Q: When the England footy team play, do you, like most Scots hope England lose?

Only when they're playing Scotland (whether it be football, rugby, or any other sport) - the rest of the time I don't mind.

In that respect I'm not like most Scots - some of them are overly patriotic and I can understand why but like I say, we're all one island and we don't choose where we're born. I've lived in England for fourteen years (nearly half my life) and I've seen the best of both worlds.

I don't agree with all this devolution crap and they'll only end up alienating themselves - same goes for Wales and Ireland too. But that's another story....

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2006, 03:18:32 PM »
http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/ausveng/engine/current/match/249222.html

So England's batsmen are gonna have to average ~80+ EACH? Hmm... this one goes to the Aussies... :-\
الاسلام هو شيطانية

ozman

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2006, 12:12:33 AM »

Bigger Business

• Getbig V
  • FKN Gym Wear
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2006, 12:52:07 AM »
We travel poorly and we were lucky McGrath was injured over here.

McGrath pwned England

the radio commentator here said it looked like Australia was playing 12 year old girls  :D

davidpaul

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2006, 05:45:15 AM »
McGrath pwned England

the radio commentator here said it looked like Australia was playing 12 year old girls  :D

Ricky Ponting being the best aussie batsman since Bradders is a fair statement in my opinion. Hes a better than Greg Chappell was, and will overtake Stevo Wuagh's and Borders overall batting total.

I actually went to uni with Monty Panesar, believe it ro not, the fact  they have left him out for Gilo is a fucking joke. ::)

The Poms will get a good thrashing this series, WE JUST CANT  win at anything consistently, look at what happened to our rugger team after we on the world cup.

Diesel1

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2006, 12:51:16 PM »
I want this first test to quickly go away  :'(

ozman

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2006, 12:55:34 PM »