Author Topic: Remember this Stud RB?  (Read 2546 times)

HERACLES

• Getbig IV
Remember this Stud RB?
« on: November 22, 2006, 08:29:15 AM »
 8)

Man i use to watch the lions all the time just bc of him..he was so exciting to watch...Ive never seen someone run with so much body control, and leg strength..

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
Re: Remember this Stud RB?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006, 08:30:33 AM »
brutal shortness.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2006, 08:30:43 AM »
I thought you were going to show a clip of Billy Simms. Great moves & more physical. Too bad about the premature retirement.

HERACLES

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2006, 08:32:47 AM »

This one is a little better...more NFL...

James MUngro of the colts went to the neighbouring highschool by me..he always reminded me of Barry, he was super strong in the gym- leg strength insane, huge legs, strong lowerbody, thats why he ran over people in HS and broke PA records...and well, then Syracuse, then the Colts! Sometimes im like whoa, I use to train once in a while with a now NFL player..but hes hurt this year and it would of been his big year..he would of dont better tham Rhodes for sure..but now he has Addai to worry about..

Anyhow..props to the monster 5'8" RBs!

HERACLES

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2006, 08:36:24 AM »

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2006, 08:39:40 AM »
Addai's the shit; for winning playoff games he's an upgrade over James.

HERACLES

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2006, 08:44:47 AM »
Addai's the shit; for winning playoff games he's an upgrade over James.

Yeah the Colts are lucky they snatched him up after Edge left, look at the $$ they saved too!!

But it would of been nice to see James get his big shot this year, remember how well he did with the chances he had?

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2006, 08:49:38 AM »
Yeah the Colts are lucky they snatched him up after Edge left, look at the $$ they saved too!!

But it would of been nice to see James get his big shot this year, remember how well he did with the chances he had?

James has been averaging under 3 yards a carry most of the year; they probably knew he was on the downside when they didn't resign him. They've gained a better younger back & saved cap money.

body88

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2006, 08:59:18 AM »
I think the pats got a huge back in Maroney. He is a beast. Not to mention a sick kickoff  returner. Will extend Corey's carreer also.

Addai was a upgrade over James def.

The jags have a back who is about 5'7. He is a little monster.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2006, 09:03:53 AM »
Should be a good game at Dallas tomorrow. Anyone notice that Barber's a better back? He should be starting over Jones. Not just on the goal line either. He doesn't get as many carries.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2006, 09:41:11 AM »
Hands down the best RB in the history of the NFL IMO.  Just an awesome football player.  Class act too (except for the way he retired).  His college stats are unreal.  Playstation numbers: 

"In his junior year, Sanders went on to lead the nation in rushing yards (2,628; 2,850 if you include the bowl game), total yards (3,250), touchdowns (39; 44 if you include the bowl game) and scoring (234 points, 264 if you include the bowl game) en route to winning the 1988 Heisman Trophy."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Sanders

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2006, 09:42:48 AM »
LT, bitches!  8)

body88

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2006, 09:47:14 AM »
LT, bitches!  8)

Certified beast. They should hand out beast cards to people who are plain old monsters. LT, Maroney and Gore etc etc... They would all get a beast card. They could use it to get discounts on guns, explosives,food and diesel fuel to name a few things.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2006, 09:53:47 AM »

Certified beast. They should hand out beast cards to people who are plain old monsters. LT, Maroney and Gore etc etc... They would all get a beast card. They could use it to get discounts on guns, explosives,food and diesel fuel to name a few things.

Yes, yes, I agree.  I'm a lifelong Chargers fan (from the Fouts days) and I couldn't be happier with the current roster.  May not win it all, but I'm a huge fan of so many players they have now.  LT, Rivers, Gates, Merriman, etc...  It's been a long drought.

body88

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2006, 09:58:25 AM »
Yes, yes, I agree.  I'm a lifelong Chargers fan (from the Fouts days) and I couldn't be happier with the current roster.  May not win it all, but I'm a huge fan of so many players they have now.  LT, Rivers, Gates, Merriman, etc...  It's been a long drought.

They are a great team. When Meriman comes back they have the tools to make a bid. I was watching LT run the other night. Such poise. Just waits... waits.... waits..... sees a hole open up and explods through it. Almost like a slasher and pounder in one. The complete package really.

The story told itself the other night against Denver when they had to physically pick him up and carry him out of bounds. He scorched them for like 10 yards after he was hit at the line.

Makes it look so easy.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2006, 10:02:02 AM »

They are a great team. When Meriman comes back they have the tools to make a bid. I was watching LT run the other night. Such poise. Just waits... waits.... waits..... sees a hole open up and explods through it. Almost like a slasher and pounder in one. The complete package really.

The story told itself the other night against Denver when they had to physically pick him up and carry him out of bounds. He scorched them for like 10 yards after he was hit at the line.

Makes it look so easy.

What is sad, is that I wasn't really sold on him out of college.  Guess I'll never be a pro scout.  Yeah, when the Def gets Merriman back and some others healthy is will be perfect timing for a playoff run.  And you know Merriman is going to be rested and pissed off.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2006, 10:15:29 AM »
Hands down the best RB in the history of the NFL IMO.  Just an awesome football player.  Class act too (except for the way he retired).  His college stats are unreal.

Lots of people had problems with Saunders. Sure he was a yardage machine, comparable but not better than other great backs, but he also was missing some key intangibles he never proved he had.

He had some obvious flaws. One, he wasn't physical, which is huge in the playoffs. Emmitt did it on the regular, Saunders didn't, and that's only comparing him to his peers of that era, not even getting to other great backs. Without that physicality it's hard to come through with tough yards in the playoffs. He never had that. Second, his wasn't consistent, and most knew it-50 yard runs + 7 plays for no gain doesn't move the chains. ;D

In other words, he made some great highlight films involving long runs, that he could watch over and over again while missing the playoffs. Never proved he was a big-time playoff back, didn't have those tools, wasn't tough and was of no value in short yardage.

body88

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2006, 10:15:37 AM »
What is sad, is that I wasn't really sold on him out of college.  Guess I'll never be a pro scout.  Yeah, when the Def gets Merriman back and some others healthy is will be perfect timing for a playoff run.  And you know Merriman is going to be rested and pissed off.

I am a hardcore pats fan. But I watch alot of other teams also. The  chargers being one of them. The Chargers are the real deal and a serious threat. Merriman will feel he has something to prove when he gets back. You know players play there best ball when they are pissed off. Rivers was the better choice over Breeze imo.

Good things are on the way for Chargers fans, thats for sure.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2006, 10:23:30 AM »
NO. He was a yardage machine on par with other great backs who were bigger, as fast and more physical.

He had some obvious flaws. One, he wasn't physical, which is huge in the playoffs. Emmitt did it on the regular, Saunders didn't, and that only comparing him to his peers of that era. Second, in limited big-time games he didn't come through, period. Third, his wasn't consistent, and most knew it-80 yard runs + 7 plays for no gain doesn't move the chains. ;D

That's your opinion.  I think what he did was remarkable, given his very poor offensive line for most of his career and playing in a run and shoot offense with no TE and no FB for much his career.  He averaged 5 yards a carry for his career, which has to be one of the all time best averages.  He also rushed for 99 TDs, which is 7th best all time.  I have not seen a RB as dangerous as Barry, who caused so many problems for defenses, and forced teams to put 8 men in the box. 

I like Emmitt, but he was a huge beneficiary of one of the best O-lines in NFL history, a stud FB in Moose, a stud TE in Novacek, and a terrific set of skill position players in Aikman, Irvin, and Harper.  Half the time all he had to do was fall down and he'd gain 5 yards.   

Yuck.  Cowboy compliments.  I'm going to go take a shower . . . .   

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2006, 10:25:41 AM »
That's your opinion.
If you're going to make an outrageous claim that he's better than all the other great backs, shouldn't you have said same?

What i've said about Saunders was widely known. He was not considered a great team player let alone a back to win championships with.

For anyone easily impressed by highlight clips of long runs, OJ and Dickerson did exact same, with more size and power.

As far as doing it on a poor team, there are pros and cons. Some backs have benefitted from being a poor teams that have little else to rely on offensively and hand the ball off over and over again-there's no balance to the offense so the back actually gets more touches.

Peyton had some ok o-lines during the years and did just as well. Terrell Davis did it ALL, is only forgotten sometimes because of injuries. Did everything Saunders did PLUS did it in the playoffs, with physicality. Moved the chains.

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2006, 06:11:43 PM »
Hands down the best RB in the history of the NFL IMO.  Just an awesome football player.  Class act too (except for the way he retired).  His college stats are unreal.  Playstation numbers: 

"In his junior year, Sanders went on to lead the nation in rushing yards (2,628; 2,850 if you include the bowl game), total yards (3,250), touchdowns (39; 44 if you include the bowl game) and scoring (234 points, 264 if you include the bowl game) en route to winning the 1988 Heisman Trophy."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Sanders

Hey Beach, wouldn't you have gotten tired of playing for the Lion's? I would have quit like Sanders too.
The House that Ruth built

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2006, 06:14:59 PM »

This one is a little better...more NFL...

James MUngro of the colts went to the neighbouring highschool by me..he always reminded me of Barry, he was super strong in the gym- leg strength insane, huge legs, strong lowerbody, thats why he ran over people in HS and broke PA records...and well, then Syracuse, then the Colts! Sometimes im like whoa, I use to train once in a while with a now NFL player..but hes hurt this year and it would of been his big year..he would of dont better tham Rhodes for sure..but now he has Addai to worry about..

Anyhow..props to the monster 5'8" RBs!

cool man. edgerrin james, and deion sanders went to school in my town.  so did jevon kearse, i sat next to him in american history class.

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2006, 06:17:14 PM »
cool man. edgerrin james, and deion sanders went to school in my town.  so did jevon kearse, i sat next to him in american history class.

Jevon Kearse, the freak! too bad he can't stay healthy.
The House that Ruth built

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2006, 06:21:37 PM »
Hey Beach, wouldn't you have gotten tired of playing for the Lion's? I would have quit like Sanders too.

Oh absolutely.  Except I would have asked for a trade.  At a minimum, I would have given them enough notice to find a replacement before I retired.  He abruptly retired, after the draft, at the start of training camp.  That was not cool. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2006, 06:48:40 PM »
Jevon Kearse, the freak! too bad he can't stay healthy.

yep. he used to look like 98 ronnie coleman compared to everyone else in the school.  played both offense and defence (tight end i think on O) in high school.  Was very loud and obnoxious, full of himself.  his brother joseph used to always get into trouble and give jevon's name.  he was incredible on the field.  just dominated every play and outlept everyone. he won the local athletic combine - IN FLIP FLOPS lol... vertical leapt 46.  Got banned from UF for taking cash from some agent named Tank.  Seems to be doing okay these days tho!