Author Topic: Casein Protein  (Read 12714 times)

GET_BIGGER

• Getbig IV
  • Peace and good genes be to you
Casein Protein
« on: November 25, 2006, 01:59:16 PM »
I think a lot of us really underestimate how important it is for our body to have nourishment throughout the night.  I recently stalked up on casein protein once again and forgot how awesome that s**t is.  It is amazing waking up after 7-8 hours of sleep and not having my stomach growl. 

If you are not currently using casein protein......geez, try it.  If your on a plateau and your not using it, this would be a really good idea to start some new growth.

younggunz

• Getbig II
Re: Casein Protein
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 09:50:29 PM »
what brand are u using and do u have to buy it online. No one around where i live carries it and most of these idiots dont even kno what it is. ::)

GET_BIGGER

• Getbig IV
  • Peace and good genes be to you
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 07:13:14 AM »
what brand are u using and do u have to buy it online. No one around where i live carries it and most of these idiots dont even kno what it is. ::)

http://www.a1supplements.com/100-Casein-Protein-2-lbs.-p-2414.html

I cant get it anywhere except online either. I would by everything online though, you save so much money.

cauthon

• Getbig II
  • Craig Killed for you Bitches
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 05:48:24 PM »

Better then that you can buy it at any grocery store, only they call it cottage cheese.

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 06:40:45 PM »

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 12:32:10 PM »
Casein protein is a good night time protein source.  I also consume two installments of 15 dessicated liver tabs during the night.

Flex 215

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006, 09:55:39 PM »
      Optimum Nutrition also makes a product called Pro Complex PM. It's a blend of casein, whey, and I think egg. I used both the chocolate and vanilla, and neither were too bad. I mixed them with skim milk. I figured the all casein stuff would be too clumpy.

I now usually use Labrada's ProV60, which is a blend of whey concentrate, egg, casein, and whey isolate.

Also, Iron Tek makes a blend with casein, and the Cookies and cream is actually really good. If I see the 5 pound jug of it on sale for $30 or less I get it. The Labrada is at The Vitamin Store this month for $28 for 3.5 lbs. It has 20 servings of 60 grams of protein. But I mix one scoop to get 40 servings, with 2 cups of skim milk , so each shake is about 45 grams.

I might try ordering Nitrean, from At Large.

I still use ON whey for post-workout, and sometimes in the morning or pre-workout.

But once during the day, and at night I take some of a blend, with skim milk.

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
  • There's no Kayfabe in the business anymore.
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2006, 06:02:53 PM »
I got some and it's the best tasting protein I have ever had.

Casey Butt

• Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2006, 10:43:41 AM »
All cheeses are almost pure casein. Overnight, you're better off with cheese than protein powder because it takes longer for solid food to be digested and leave the stomach, and the fat in cheese slows down digestion further. Plus the cholesterol is good for hormone production.

The combination with desiccated liver is a good idea. Desiccated liver is high in P450scc, which is the rate-limiting enzyme responsible for setting off the production of all sex hormones. Protein stimulates glucagon, glucagon promotes cAMP, cAMP promotes P450scc activity. P450scc begins the production of testosterone from cholesterol. Testosterone promotes protein synthesis. Desiccated liver provides P450scc, cheese provides the protein, cholesterol and raises glucagon. The combination of cholesterol, P450 enzymes and protein is a perfect before-bed meal.

Unfortunately, for some reason, certain brands of desiccated liver ruin my sleep. It's probably all the B-12 or something ...just a guess.

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2006, 04:20:28 PM »
All cheeses are almost pure casein. Overnight, you're better off with cheese than protein powder because it takes longer for solid food to be digested and leave the stomach, and the fat in cheese slows down digestion further. Plus the cholesterol is good for hormone production.

The combination with desiccated liver is a good idea. Desiccated liver is high in P450scc, which is the rate-limiting enzyme responsible for setting off the production of all sex hormones. Protein stimulates glucagon, glucagon promotes cAMP, cAMP promotes P450scc activity. P450scc begins the production of testosterone from cholesterol. Testosterone promotes protein synthesis. Desiccated liver provides P450scc, cheese provides the protein, cholesterol and raises glucagon. The combination of cholesterol, P450 enzymes and protein is a perfect before-bed meal.

Unfortunately, for some reason, certain brands of desiccated liver ruin my sleep. It's probably all the B-12 or something ...just a guess.

Dessicted liver- Yes

Cheese- NO

Consuming a big portion of fat  right before your metabolism goes to Zero?  No thanks, enjoy you extra inch of fat around your midsection, Merry X-Mass!!!!!

Casey Butt

• Getbig II
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2006, 04:50:53 PM »
No thanks, enjoy you extra inch of fat around your midsection, Merry X-Mass!!!!!

That depends more largely on what you do during the rest of the day. I'm losing weight now, but I still don't hesitate to eat the cheese before bed ...at this stage it's important to hold onto as much muscle as possible. I'm losing 1-2 lbs a week until I hit probably 6-8% bf. A small amount of saturated fat before bed helps, not hurts. On the other hand, if getting absolutely shredded, at the possible cost of lost muscle, is your priority then go for the non-fat alternatives.

You don't find the liver disturbs your sleep? What brand do you take?

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2006, 07:44:55 AM »
That depends more largely on what you do during the rest of the day. I'm losing weight now, but I still don't hesitate to eat the cheese before bed ...at this stage it's important to hold onto as much muscle as possible. I'm losing 1-2 lbs a week until I hit probably 6-8% bf. A small amount of saturated fat before bed helps, not hurts. On the other hand, if getting absolutely shredded, at the possible cost of lost muscle, is your priority then go for the non-fat alternatives.

You don't find the liver disturbs your sleep? What brand do you take?

Vitamin Shoppe's store brand.  How does liver disturb your sleep?

Casey Butt

• Getbig II
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2006, 01:09:06 PM »
I have no problem getting to sleep, but I can't stay asleep. I'm using Beverly Internationals Ultra-40. They add extra vitamin B12 (1250% of the RDA in each tablet). I think maybe that's the problem, it never happened with other brands.

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2006, 01:57:13 PM »
Definitely agree! For a while I was using Met Rx's protein plus and most recently use 1 scoop of muscle milk...

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2006, 05:52:57 PM »
I think a lot of us really underestimate how important it is for our body to have nourishment throughout the night.  I recently stalked up on casein protein once again and forgot how awesome that s**t is.  It is amazing waking up after 7-8 hours of sleep and not having my stomach growl. 

If you are not currently using casein protein......geez, try it.  If your on a plateau and your not using it, this would be a really good idea to start some new growth.

I think the stomach-growling thing has more to do with how much you consume before bed.

When I was younger, I consumed a homemade shake, comprised of 6 eggs, 16 oz. milk, and a scoop of milk-and-egg protein powder. I'd go to bed feeling bloated; but, my stomach would growl as if I hadn't eaten in days. It got to the point where I didn't even need my alarm clock. My stomach would wake me up, at virtually the same time every morning.

so_vain

• Getbig I
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2007, 09:44:24 PM »
I have no problem getting to sleep, but I can't stay asleep. I'm using Beverly Internationals Ultra-40. They add extra vitamin B12 (1250% of the RDA in each tablet). I think maybe that's the problem, it never happened with other brands.

Try 12mg of melatonin 1hr before bed if you havent already.

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2007, 07:33:25 AM »
Try 12mg of melatonin 1hr before bed if you havent already.

Don't you mean 1-2 mg of Melatonin? 12 MG is off the charts.....