Author Topic: Christianity is based on several ancient religions.  (Read 3314 times)

Debussey

• Getbig IV
  • The shadow braggs about hitting women
Christianity is based on several ancient religions.
« on: November 26, 2006, 08:35:02 AM »
Christianity is synthesized from older religions. Most of the shit in the bible is borrowed from ancient religions, thus, it is not new nor original.

Those who go to church performs rituals that were performed thousands of years before Christianity became an organized religion. The christians just stole the old rituals and claimed to have invented them.

Islam is the same thing. It is just concepts found on many other religions + some new shit, synthesized into a new name "Islam".

BWHAHAHAHAHA.

Those who buys into their religion should know that the stuff they believe in is a collection of shit found here and there. Brutal lack of knowledge about religious history.

Faith in something beyond ourselves is good.

Believing blindly in a religious doctrine is pure and utter stupidity.
Support DEBUSSEYWORLD!

Purge_WTF

Re: Christianity is based on several ancient religions.
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2006, 10:50:13 AM »
  You have entirely too much time on your hands.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2006, 01:10:38 PM »
According to many religous scholars this is very true.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2006, 01:33:30 PM »
Christianity is synthesized from older religions. Most of the shit in the bible is borrowed from ancient religions, thus, it is not new nor original.

Those who go to church performs rituals that were performed thousands of years before Christianity became an organized religion. The christians just stole the old rituals and claimed to have invented them.

Islam is the same thing. It is just concepts found on many other religions + some new shit, synthesized into a new name "Islam".

BWHAHAHAHAHA.

Those who buys into their religion should know that the stuff they believe in is a collection of shit found here and there. Brutal lack of knowledge about religious history.

Dude, Christianity and Catholicism are two different things.  Leave Christianity out of this one.

Debussey

• Getbig IV
  • The shadow braggs about hitting women
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2006, 02:24:22 PM »
Dude, Christianity and Catholicism are two different things.  Leave Christianity out of this one.

Most of this stuff is also practiced in non - catholic churches.
Support DEBUSSEYWORLD!

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2006, 07:29:14 PM »
Most of this stuff is also practiced in non - catholic churches.

Like what?  What practice are you talking about and what ancient religion does it come from, and where do you get this information?

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2006, 07:47:49 PM »
Like what?  What practice are you talking about and what ancient religion does it come from, and where do you get this information?

Some of the OT roots can be found in babylonian history/religeon.  Such as moses law.

http://www.wcg.org/lit/bible/law/steal10.htm

http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=1062-0516(191704)33%3A3%3C254%3ATLOBAO%3E2.0.CO%3B2-6

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/07125a.htm

http://www.yale.edu/lawweb/avalon/medieval/hammpre.htm

http://www.infidels.org/library/historical/joseph_mccabe/religious_controversy/chapter_08.html

I didn't read every word of every link but they all talk about the same thing:  A relationship of the 2 and the time line they were written

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2006, 12:36:34 PM »
Some of the OT roots can be found in babylonian history/religeon.  Such as moses law.

I didn't read every word of every link but they all talk about the same thing:  A relationship of the 2 and the time line they were written

OzmO,
These contradict what you are saying.  They say that Babylonian law is based in part on Moses law, but that Moses law is better:

When the Semitic tribes settled in the cities of Babylonia, their tribal custom passed over into city law.

"The similarity between these and a few other statutes left the way open for some critical scholars to postulate that the Mosaic law in the Bible was derived from the Code of Hammurabi. Most scholars, however, have abandoned this theory, since further research has shown that, in ancient times, there were codes of law in various countries. Some of these were even older than Hammurabi's stele.

Furthermore, Mosaic law moved beyond the Code of Hammurabi, or any of the ancient law codes, because it is grounded in the worship of one God. The ethical principles in the law of Moses spring from love toward the one true God. Such love demands that one also love fellow human beings, whom God made in his image. Moses thus talks about human sin and our responsibility to God in resisting sin. Hammurabi and other ancient law-givers, however, do not address this issue.

Hammurabi's law code is exclusively civil and criminal. Moses' law code, on the other hand, begins with spiritual principles -- love toward God and humans -- from which the civil and criminal laws are derived. From its stress on the motive of love, the law of Moses demanded more humane treatment for slaves, gave higher regard for womanhood, and placed greater value upon human life in general. The priority given to such spiritual values made the Mosaic law unique among all the ancient law codes.

Jeff Miller

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2006, 06:22:12 AM »
OzmO,
These contradict what you are saying.  They say that Babylonian law is based in part on Moses law, but that Moses law is better:

When the Semitic tribes settled in the cities of Babylonia, their tribal custom passed over into city law.

"The similarity between these and a few other statutes left the way open for some critical scholars to postulate that the Mosaic law in the Bible was derived from the Code of Hammurabi. Most scholars, however, have abandoned this theory, since further research has shown that, in ancient times, there were codes of law in various countries. Some of these were even older than Hammurabi's stele.

Furthermore, Mosaic law moved beyond the Code of Hammurabi, or any of the ancient law codes, because it is grounded in the worship of one God. The ethical principles in the law of Moses spring from love toward the one true God. Such love demands that one also love fellow human beings, whom God made in his image. Moses thus talks about human sin and our responsibility to God in resisting sin. Hammurabi and other ancient law-givers, however, do not address this issue.

Hammurabi's law code is exclusively civil and criminal. Moses' law code, on the other hand, begins with spiritual principles -- love toward God and humans -- from which the civil and criminal laws are derived. From its stress on the motive of love, the law of Moses demanded more humane treatment for slaves, gave higher regard for womanhood, and placed greater value upon human life in general. The priority given to such spiritual values made the Mosaic law unique among all the ancient law codes.

Heathens = pwned
ChuckNorrisFearsMe

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2006, 04:34:01 PM »
Sorry been very busy lately with x-mas and all.

The first in bold supports my point

The 2nd paragraph only talks about the differences.  You and I both know that spritual laws in other religions aren't exclusive to the Jewish religion.

Mr.Totality

• Getbig II
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2006, 06:20:22 PM »

BWHAHAHAHAHA.

you are correct, in fact many of the rules and laws from both the OT and NT were taken from earlier "Pagan" stories.  Hell, the Exodus story of Moses and a Syrian precursor whose name was Mises for Christs sakes

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2006, 04:58:41 PM »
Also based on the experiences and struggles of Middle Eastern people. Kind of weird, considering the fact that most christians now are of european descent.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2007, 05:50:50 AM »
The first in bold supports my point

No, it says that the tribal customs of the Semitic tribes passed over into city law of Babylonia.

The 2nd paragraph only talks about the differences. 

No, it says that Moses' law code is superior and unique.

You and I both know that spritual laws in other religions aren't exclusive to the Jewish religion.

This still does not support the bold statement of this thread, that "Christianity is based on several ancient religions."

I still have not gotten an answer to my question.  What non-Roman Catholic, Christian practices are based on ancient religions other than Judaism? What pagan ancient religion(s) does it come from, and where do you get this information?

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2007, 05:54:56 AM »
you are correct, in fact many of the rules and laws from both the OT and NT were taken from earlier "Pagan" stories.  Hell, the Exodus story of Moses and a Syrian precursor whose name was Mises for Christs sakes

Mr.Totality,
Exactly what rules and laws in the OT and NT are you talking about?  What "Pagan" stories are you talking about?  Can you post the name of the books you read or a link to this information?  That's a very bold statement you are making.  Is this something you have studied yourself or did you hear it from somebody else?  Thank you!

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2007, 07:26:50 AM »
The 2nd paragraph only talks about the differences.  You and I both know that spritual laws in other religions aren't exclusive to the Jewish religion.

Looks like all your links are about the Law Code of King Hammurabi.  How much do you know about this?  This is what one of your links says:

"The discovery of the stele was particularly important to Bible scholars. First, it supported the authenticity of the law of Moses. Some Bible critics had held that the art of writing and the science of law were unknown in that early period of history. But here was specific evidence that both were well known."

This one is from another source:
http://www.allaboutarchaeology.org/hammurabi-code-of-law-faq.htm

"The Code of Hammurabi is of special interest to biblical archaeologists because of the similarities between it and the Mosaic Law. Instances of correspondence include the famous "eye for an eye" principle. This has led some scholars to speculate that Moses, who lived around three centuries after Hammurabi, borrowed his law from the Babylonian monarch. This view has been discredited however. The similarities are limited and often superficial. For example, in the Mosaic Law, the "eye for an eye" principle is universal. In the Hammurabi Law the "eye for an eye" principle only applies if both parties are of equal status (i.e. lower class, middle class, upper class, clerical, nobility, etc.)."

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2007, 09:33:14 AM »
You know loco you are probably right....  Or maybe there is some research i can do that might say otherwise.  I just don't have the time.  I'm putting most of my energies lately towards 9/11 CT'ers.

But i will tell you that my stance has changed slightly in my view of some christians mainly due to Stella and yourself.  I just don't believe it's right ot condem, judge or push one's faith on another unless you walk the walk at least 99% which is something most christians seem not to do.

I believe in what ever the truth will end up being.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2007, 10:13:51 AM »
You know loco you are probably right....  Or maybe there is some research i can do that might say otherwise.  I just don't have the time.  I'm putting most of my energies lately towards 9/11 CT'ers.

But i will tell you that my stance has changed slightly in my view of some christians mainly due to Stella and yourself.  I just don't believe it's right ot condem, judge or push one's faith on another unless you walk the walk at least 99% which is something most christians seem not to do.

I believe in what ever the truth will end up being.

Thanks OzmO!  I've been reading some of the posts on 9/11 CT'ers.  I have nothing to contribute to that, but it's interesting to read.