Author Topic: need some parenting advice  (Read 9798 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
need some parenting advice
« on: November 26, 2006, 06:42:47 PM »
okay, as some of you may know, i became a dad this year.  He is now 7 weeks old.  Starting tomorrow I will be with baby, all day everyday, 7 til 4, 5 days a week while mama works.

I build websites for a living, and used to work all night.  I'm quickly adjusting to getting up every 2 hours to feed him, plus getting up early for baby.  I have a few q's tho.

1. List some activities to do with a 7-week old child all day (so far, it's stroller, read, tv, tummy time, um...)

2. List ideas to do when they're fussy and crying.  (I usually walk him around, but that doesn't always work. Any tricks from the wise people here?)

3. list ideas to make him a smart and healthy baby (lots of fresh air, baby einstein, classical music... ?)

thanks!
Rob

proschic

• Getbig III
  • like a midget in a urinal.....
Re: need some parenting advice
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2006, 09:32:34 PM »
I don't know that there is really anything "interesting" to do with a 7 week old.   I would assume that when he is awake...just play with him.  You know...the whole making faces at him, holding him, maybe some toy play.  Walks around the neighborhood sound nice too, the fresh air has to help psychologically.

I'm not so sure that the baby einstein, and classical music will work just yet.  I would wait til he is around 6 mos or older to put him in front of the tv.  I think it is more about the physical and emotional bonding right now. 

I worry about the same things, I mean what do you do with this little person ALL DAY?  I know it may sound corny...but I have signed me and Milania up for a mommy and me yoga class at gymboree.  Its an hour of yoga 3 times a week.  Why don't you look into something like that...just on a more masculine "dad" level.

az

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2006, 10:57:15 PM »
Well first of congratulations!!!!

Not much activity to do with a 7 week old infant. Outside air could be a little too cold depending on where you live, make sure the baby is bundled (but not mummified), most of the time will be spent feeding, changing, burping, napping, changing and on it goes. playtime? I'm sure you have one of those dangling things that goes over the baby when they are in their table chair (that's what I call it, don't know what they call it now, my kid is 15) it has a couple of shapes, a mirror, maybe something that that makes a pleasant sound. NO TV!!!(there are studies showing a link to ADD and television, specifically commercials) music is cool and reading stories is even better. When all else fails take a short ride in the car, it's always good for a nap.

I'm sure you will do just fine, enjoy the time now, it goes sooo fast.

AVBG

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 01:48:25 AM »
okay, as some of you may know, i became a dad this year.  He is now 7 weeks old.  Starting tomorrow I will be with baby, all day everyday, 7 til 4, 5 days a week while mama works.

I build websites for a living, and used to work all night.  I'm quickly adjusting to getting up every 2 hours to feed him, plus getting up early for baby.  I have a few q's tho.

1. List some activities to do with a 7-week old child all day (so far, it's stroller, read, tv, tummy time, um...)

2. List ideas to do when they're fussy and crying.  (I usually walk him around, but that doesn't always work. Any tricks from the wise people here?)

3. list ideas to make him a smart and healthy baby (lots of fresh air, baby einstein, classical music... ?)

thanks!
Rob

Hey Rob,

For 7 weeks old you cannot do anymore than you have listed. Make sure you have a clean pacifier (for you when you meltdown)... Babies like music so have some handy.

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 02:17:43 AM »

thanks!
Rob

Breastfeed him?

muscleforlife

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 04:52:55 AM »
Congrats on becoming a daddy.

At this age, babies still like to be close enough to hear your beating heart(when he was in the womb).
I found lying down with baby on my chest usually calmed her down when she was extremely fussy.

Pacifiers come in handy also. 
at this age it is all about him eating, sleeping and pooping. 

Sandra

Rearden Metal

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Honey Badger cuz he don't Care.
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2006, 10:58:42 AM »
Congrats Rob!

I have no insight, lol.

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2006, 01:18:26 PM »

thanks!
Rob
Awwwwwwwww, you two look so cute!   Rob...don't worry, at 7 weeks all you can do is hold him and love him.  He'll be happy with that, a clean diaper, a feeding when hungry and a burping when finished.  :)
:D Weee

msbarbelle

• Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2006, 01:46:20 PM »
congrats dad!

nothing's as strong as gentleness, nothing's as gentle as strength.  :)

YoMamaBeenLurking

• Getbig IV
  • The Black Knight
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2006, 01:49:07 PM »
Rob, for what it's worth, I saw you mentioned the baby einstein vids.  Good stuff.  Feed that to him early and often.  There is nothing wrong with music, colors, stuffed animals etc. to stimulate that brain.

My son is almost 6 now.  By 2 he was already light years ahead of the rest of the toddlers in daycare.  By the time all of them were talking, his vocabulary had the teachers there scratching their heads...Multi syllable words etc. no problem at all. 

Now he practically sounds like an adult with his word choices when speaking and is into learning guitar and the drums on top of doing excellent so far in kindergarden.

Great investment!

:)
BKS - Guardian of Truth

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2006, 05:00:57 PM »
New borns are stupid Rob all they do is drool on themselves and poop their pants all day. Just look in on the little tyke once in a while. ;D
X

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2006, 07:00:00 PM »
Thanks for all the advice!

New borns are stupid Rob all they do is drool on themselves and poop their pants all day. Just look in on the little tyke once in a while. ;D

LMAO!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2006, 07:01:17 PM »
today was cool. tiring as hell tho.  9 hours of baby talk, a stroller walk, lots of formula, and me sneaking to check my email everytime he fell asleep

YoMamaBeenLurking

• Getbig IV
  • The Black Knight
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2006, 07:40:36 AM »
So if you are doing the day shift, does that mean that wifey is doing the night shift and letting you get some sleep?
BKS - Guardian of Truth

Faust

• Getbig IV
  • It's a league game, Smokey
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2006, 11:17:15 AM »
I read that if you keep them close to your body at all time, they cry less and make less trouble.
African women wrap them on their back with some clothing for this. Not sure this is an option for you, lol.

I saw this method to get them to fall asleep. Keep your hand like 2 cm from their eyes. That way they don't see anything, and there is no visual stimulus anymore. Pretty soon they fall asleep.
$

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2006, 12:09:52 PM »
give him a name and stop refering to him as "baby"
Z

GET_BIGGER

• Getbig IV
  • Peace and good genes be to you
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2006, 12:22:48 PM »
Don't run out of wetwipes or diapers.....that will consume half your day.  Feeding him will be the other half.  You will have time to pee when he sleeps.

Play some classical music to him while he sleeps.......

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2006, 01:01:28 PM »
should be listening to classical music for an hour / day

will grow up smart

<whoops..getbigger beat me 2 it...>

carpe` vaginum!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2006, 10:01:58 PM »
So if you are doing the day shift, does that mean that wifey is doing the night shift and letting you get some sleep?

sorta.  she has him from 5 til 9 or 10.  then i kinda do night duty too.  me sleepy.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2006, 06:04:41 AM »
He LOVES the fisher price glider

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2006, 08:56:17 AM »
I'm not a dad lol but I think you should exercise him a little, you know....  Just like move his feet around slowly and lightly and his arms and what not.  I bet he would like that.  My grandmother use to do my legs like a bicycle.  Now I can squat 100000000000000000 Pounds. LOL

You dwarf the little guy by the way. :D

Oh, also.... Get him hooked on only good foods, I wish I had never even tasted stuff like McDonalds.

OK, thats all the 18 year old childless wisdom I can give out for now.  ;D
S

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2006, 10:13:02 AM »
You dwarf the little guy by the way. :D

I pwn him.  Yes,

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2006, 03:18:27 PM »
Let's start him early  :D

Faust

• Getbig IV
  • It's a league game, Smokey
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2006, 02:21:08 AM »
I challenge you not to laugh when you see this:

ps: baby's have no sense of humor
$

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2006, 03:09:20 AM »
I challenge you not to laugh when you see this:

ps: baby's have no sense of humor
omg   that was the cutest thing ever!!!!!