Author Topic: Interpretations?  (Read 957 times)

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
Interpretations?
« on: November 26, 2006, 09:54:42 PM »
click to enlarge.

JasonH

• Getbig V
Re: Interpretations?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2006, 11:49:10 PM »
I dunno - some white dude buying balloons from chinks?

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 12:02:36 AM »
I think he's the one selling balloons... There is some symbolism in the balloons.  The blue balloon has the American Flag, maybe blue for freedom? the red balloons have the eagle on them.  The gold balloon has the golden dragon.  The excitement seems to be in awe of the two balloons rising.  red is kind of symbolic of communism maybe?  The eagle holding down communism... But are the golden dragon and America rising together or is the golden dragon raising above America?

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 02:15:51 AM »
Yes, I see what you mean now. The red/gold balloon is higher up implying that Communism is on the rise. However, the boy in the photo appears to be gazing in wonder at the blue balloon - maybe contemplating a way of life that is foreign to him but one that he wishes he was part of nonetheless.

All the children are listening intently to the white man's story, as if he is offering them a greater alternative. The mother of the children is counting her money - symbolising buying into the way of life that is America.

Good picture Beserker.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 02:31:50 AM »
Yes, I see what you mean now. The red/gold balloon is higher up implying that Communism is on the rise. However, the boy in the photo appears to be gazing in wonder at the blue balloon - maybe contemplating a way of life that is foreign to him but one that he wishes he was part of nonetheless.

All the children are listening intently to the white man's story, as if he is offering them a greater alternative. The mother of the children is counting her money - symbolising buying into the way of life that is America.

Good picture Beserker.
Thanks, I like finding things like this where there is some greater point to the image/work than just a random capture.

Bigger Business

• Getbig V
  • FKN Gym Wear
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 02:54:19 AM »
someone just wolf whistled and the guy in the hat thought it was at him

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
  • Hesitation doesn't come easily in this blood...
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2006, 03:16:37 AM »
Berserker, are these pretentious threads an attempt to make people believe you have some breeding, class and love of the arts?
الاسلام هو شيطانية

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2006, 03:47:22 AM »
Here, so your opinion of me isn't changed ;D

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2006, 04:05:03 AM »
Is that last picture real?

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
  • Hesitation doesn't come easily in this blood...
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2006, 04:18:12 AM »
Berserker is a crazed liberal lunatic :-*

Truly a molested mind.

I hear most murderers/pyschopaths have ideas of grandure brother, wine tasting and "interpreting" works of art. Those images confirm it.
الاسلام هو شيطانية

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2006, 05:25:58 AM »
Is that last picture real?
Despite Nordic's panic attack, all these pictures are special effects from movies. ;D

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2006, 05:28:21 AM »
quote author=Nordic Superman link=topic=109104.msg1574329#msg1574329 date=1164629892
Berserker is a crazed liberal lunatic :-*

Truly a molested mind.

I hear most murderers/pyschopaths have ideas of grandure brother, wine tasting and "interpreting" works of art. Those images confirm it.
[/quote]

At least skinny 142lbs isn't in that description

Deedee

• Getbig V
  • They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm.
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2006, 06:33:20 PM »
The mother appears to be buying into the American dream the balloon man is selling, and the older children do seem in awe... guess the painting is supposed to represent a moment in time around the gold rush when San Fran had those prohibitive immigration laws in effect, disallowing the Chinese from owning property (or something along those lines?) so the dream for them is essentially a lie? The little kid is eye level with the red balloons symbolizing communism, which has yet to rise... as that small child grows older and disillusioned? Mian Situ lived in Canada after getting out of China, so the ignoramuses at least have the condensed cole's notes version of his work. 

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2006, 07:01:33 PM »
The mother appears to be buying into the American dream the balloon man is selling, and the older children do seem in awe... guess the painting is supposed to represent a moment in time around the gold rush when San Fran had those prohibitive immigration laws in effect, disallowing the Chinese from owning property (or something along those lines?) so the dream for them is essentially a lie? The little kid is eye level with the red balloons symbolizing communism, which has yet to rise... as that small child grows older and disillusioned? Mian Situ lived in Canada after getting out of China, so the ignoramuses at least have the condensed cole's notes version of his work. 
Sweet.... Very interesting.... Why is the eagle on the red balloon?  Could the eagle represent America's battle to hold communism down?  Is America and the Golden Dragon rising together or is the Golden Dragon, which is rising above the American Balloon and is a larger balloon meant to mean something more?

Something that may have potential meaning here being one of our biggest fights against communism was in vietnam... but if not is still an interesting vision:
In 1009 Ly Cong Uan (974–1028) was proclaimed emperor and founded the Ly dynasty (1010–1225). The following year he decided to move the capital from Hoa Lu to the site of the Dai La citadel, about 70 kilometers to the north. En route, the emperor had a vision in which he saw a golden dragon rising from the Red River.

Deedee

• Getbig V
  • They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm.
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2006, 10:42:08 AM »
You could very well be right. It would interesting to know when exactly he painted this piece, i.e. what political climate. I did a fast google but couldn't find anything, but more than likely it was after Viet Nam.

What you're surmising could be right, although it seems to me that the balloons are almost identical in size and I would say, are rising together. The slight tipping of the gold/imperialism balloon higher than the other might easily be for composition's sake.  The eagle on the communism balloons could signify America's attempt to hold back communism... but you could also say, the eagles seem to be stamped onto the balloon, like a slogan. Considering the climate of the time (China in economic shambles, US refusing immigration, etc...) maybe the artist was saying that America in some ways allowed Communism to flourish? 

Other interesting aspects of the painting... the other imperialism/golden dragon balloon with festive blue ribbon mixed with the communism balloons...???... and, the fact that the naive family is all dressed in light clothing. In fact, the light focusses around the mother and up the pillar behind her. Contrasting that is the dark clad, slightly "snake oilish"  balloon seller on the other side... along with another child, also dressed in very dark clothes, denoting that he somehow belongs to/with the balloon seller?

PS. The hiney pics you post are a lot easier to look at than eyes being gouged out.  :-X

sandycoosworth

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2006, 11:00:03 AM »
The first interpretion I got was "Berserker is a homo" ;D

After that wore off, the ballons with the flag and (eagle?) are light colored and higer up than the ballons without. They are at eye level with the white man and the chinese kids are looking up to them with a hopeful look on their faces. The red ballons with the dragon and (hawk?) are much lower down, and the kid with the more traditional haircut and the caveman looking grill is staring into them hopelessly.

Cant figure out why the white doodes underage sex worker friend has a sword sticking into his back, but maybe its a metaphore for what that cracker pervert is about to do to him ;D