Author Topic: pit bulls are sick  (Read 44675 times)

body88

Re: pit bulls are sick
« Reply #200 on: December 09, 2006, 10:30:58 PM »
Why? They could be great friends. If you rasie him or her from a pup they will be ok! I say get one!

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #201 on: December 09, 2006, 10:46:49 PM »
Why? They could be great friends. If you rasie him or her from a pup they will be ok! I say get one!

hahaha I took my little kitten to my parents house a few weeks before they had their dog put down. Like I said before he was old and blind,but his nose worked.I had to laugh when he was investigating the strange creature I brought over...and got his nose swatted by the cat.  ;D  He was like "woooof wooof woof wooof !!!"  in all directions  hahaha he didn't know what got him but he was gona whoop it's ass....If and when he found it. He was a Lhasa Apso so he was not a big dog...but he sure THOUGHT he was.

Euro-monster

• Getbig V
  • Team Dutchie style!!
« Reply #202 on: December 10, 2006, 03:26:02 AM »
Euro that white dog is unreal.  What a stud

Yeah i know...i took those pictures from a breeder's website....you don't come a cross much better examples of a great AB then that white one...
?

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #203 on: December 11, 2006, 02:05:53 AM »
;)

11 months old!

Wow, he is looking great.  I am not a real fan of the large Johnson dogs.  They are great to look at, but sacrafice functional ability for all that mass.  Much like the Ronnie Coleman of the molosers. 

carvedoutofwood

• Getbig III
  • the flame of the west
« Reply #204 on: December 13, 2006, 07:35:22 PM »
question: females vs males.. are advantages to dis. ad. to either?... wat do u guys have and why?

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #205 on: December 13, 2006, 07:39:34 PM »
female urine will kill your lawn, and they can be a bit more territorial from what i have noticed... but dogs are dogs and take on your traits more than that of a certain sex, especially if they are fixed/spayed.  Males seem to have more energy and need more exercise. 

body88

« Reply #206 on: December 13, 2006, 07:39:57 PM »
Males can be a bit more aggressive. They are also a more dominant.  These things will not be a problem with proper socialization and training. Go with whatever you like better.

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #207 on: December 13, 2006, 07:44:08 PM »
Males can be a bit more aggressive. They are also a more dominant.  

I guess its opinion, but i've found the females at the SPCA harder to train than the males, and usually a bit more pushy, but i guess its a case by case scenario.

body88

« Reply #208 on: December 13, 2006, 07:47:59 PM »
I guess its opinion, but i've found the females at the SPCA harder to train than the males, and usually a bit more pushy, but i guess its a case by case scenario.

I dunno? I have found/read typically the most aggressive dogs are untrained, intact, dominant  males.

I am going by literature mostly. I have been in contact with both. But, you ob have been in contact with many more working at the SPCA.

With the testosterone a young male produces I do not know how a female could be more aggressive if both where unsocialized and aggressive.

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #209 on: December 13, 2006, 07:51:12 PM »
I dunno? I have found/read typically the most aggressive dogs are untrained, intact, dominant  males.

I am going by literature mostly. I have been in contact with both. But, you ob have been in cotact with many more working at the SPCA.

i just help there occasionaly, its the woman who works there ;).  I guess, yes, "intact" males is another story, but usually the ones i get to play with are definetely not intact 8)

body88

« Reply #210 on: December 13, 2006, 07:52:56 PM »
i just help there occasionaly, its the woman who works there ;).  I guess, yes, "intact" males is another story, but usually the ones i get to play with are definetely not intact 8)

Gotcha. In that case I can defiantly see what you mean. That is cool you help out down there. I hope things pan out for you. You would make a great officer!

carvedoutofwood

• Getbig III
  • the flame of the west
« Reply #211 on: December 13, 2006, 07:55:54 PM »
Go with whatever you like better.

ok but what have you guys had... i mean its a dog so whats their to "like" one way or the other... i mean the "idea" of having a male friend seems like a tighter relationship.... but its not a human, hes not your "boy"... hes your animal...

i always wanted a male for this reason...

body88

« Reply #212 on: December 13, 2006, 08:02:28 PM »
He will be much more than an animal. Pitbulls are like humans. If you want a larger dog go with the male. If you want a more streamlined softer look go with the female.

carvedoutofwood

• Getbig III
  • the flame of the west
« Reply #213 on: December 13, 2006, 08:34:38 PM »
well in terms of athletic ability... like humans are the males superior in capability?

body88

« Reply #214 on: December 13, 2006, 08:36:18 PM »
For the most part. Males are bigger and more muscular. There are big females also. They are just as agile and all that. Generally the males are bigger. If you want a super athletic dog, go with a 50 - 70 lb male.

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #215 on: December 13, 2006, 11:28:54 PM »
For the most part. Males are bigger and more muscular. There are big females also. They are just as agile and all that. Generally the males are bigger. If you want a super athletic dog, go with a 50 - 70 lb male.

Keep in mind though that 50-70 lbs of pit bull is a lot to handle regardless of the sex.

body88

« Reply #216 on: December 14, 2006, 04:38:27 AM »
Traps speaks the truth carved. Again, if you go with a pit that big make sure you have the time to bring him/her up correctly.

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #217 on: December 15, 2006, 02:21:59 AM »
well in terms of athletic ability... like humans are the males superior in capability?

Billy Hines used females almost excluxively on boar hunts.  They tended to be smaller, more agile, and instinctively knew when to break off a boars ear if the going got rough.  Males would hang in there, even if it meant risking critical injury.  I find females easier to train.  Males are constantly testing, even when they are fixed.  So if you get a good, game male prepare to step up. 

body88

« Reply #218 on: December 15, 2006, 06:31:44 AM »
Billy Hines used females almost excluxively on boar hunts.  They tended to be smaller, more agile, and instinctively knew when to break off a boars ear if the going got rough.  Males would hang in there, even if it meant risking critical injury.  I find females easier to train.  Males are constantly testing, even when they are fixed.  So if you get a good, game male prepare to step up. 

Good post. I agree that females are easier to train/handle. I find my AB is constantly testing me. For example he knows he is not supposed to go into the trash and pull things out. Remember my pup has been through alot of training. He is obedient and knows who the boss is. But, I still catch him testing me.

He recently was caught in the trash trying to steal the cardboard tube that papertowel comes wrapped on. I normally say "leave it" in a stern voice and when he drops the item I crate him for a few min to let him know he has been bad.

Well, this time he decided he would role onto his back and make a cute face at me. This one time I walked over, took the tube and did not crate him. Remember this is one time I did not crate him out of about a hundred times. I corrected him but did not punish him with separation from my girlfriend and I in his crate.

Now anytime I reprimand him he is on his back making cute faces. He found a weakness and is trying to exploit it. Ob it does not work and he is back to the drawing board. But, it is amazing how intelligent dominant breeds are. They will test you, Even if they are trained.

My guy is always testing me. Trying to run infront of me when we walk outside. Pushing me out of the way if he wants his bone. Things like that. Testing to see if I am still the alpha I know what he is doing so it is easy for me to correct the behavior. But, a person who is a novice dog owner does not understand a lot of the time what there pup is doing when he is testing them. That is how the dog becomes the alpha and starts to run you!

Carved you seem to be into doing research. You also seem to understand you will need a lot of time to socialize and train your pup. But, like American said. If you get a real, pure bred, game pit. Get ready to step your game up.

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #219 on: December 15, 2006, 02:54:26 PM »
Good post. I agree that females are easier to train/handle. I find my AB is constantly testing me. For example he knows he is not supposed to go into the trash and pull things out. Remember my pup has been through alot of training. He is obedient and knows who the boss is. But, I still catch him testing me.

He recently was caught in the trash trying to steal the cardboard tube that papertowel comes wrapped on. I normally say "leave it" in a stern voice and when he drops the item I crate him for a few min to let him know he has been bad.

Well, this time he decided he would role onto his back and make a cute face at me. This one time I walked over, took the tube and did not crate him. Remember this is one time I did not crate him out of about a hundred times. I corrected him but did not punish him with separation from my girlfriend and I in his crate.

Now anytime I reprimand him he is on his back making cute faces. He found a weakness and is trying to exploit it. Ob it does not work and he is back to the drawing board. But, it is amazing how intelligent dominant breeds are. They will test you, Even if they are trained.

My guy is always testing me. Trying to run infront of me when we walk outside. Pushing me out of the way if he wants his bone. Things like that. Testing to see if I am still the alpha I know what he is doing so it is easy for me to correct the behavior. But, a person who is a novice dog owner does not understand a lot of the time what there pup is doing when he is testing them. That is how the dog becomes the alpha and starts to run you!

Carved you seem to be into doing research. You also seem to understand you will need a lot of time to socialize and train your pup. But, like American said. If you get a real, pure bred, game pit. Get ready to step your game up.

You'd also better make sure everyone in the household is not squeamish to do the same.  My wife makes sure she is the first person down the stairs, first out the door.  She is not above standing over our 9 month bitch, (even though that dog is 90 lbs of muscle and bone).  If you get a bull breed, be prepared to be consistent, and firm.  I caught our pup trying to mount my 2 year old.  She got the beating of her life.  Also the pinch collar and "neck breakers" have become our pup's intimate friend.  Some people think it is cruelty, trust me, it doesn't hurt them. 

body88

« Reply #220 on: December 15, 2006, 03:06:45 PM »
Beating?

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #221 on: December 15, 2006, 05:08:06 PM »
You'd also better make sure everyone in the household is not squeamish to do the same.  My wife makes sure she is the first person down the stairs, first out the door.  She is not above standing over our 9 month bitch, (even though that dog is 90 lbs of muscle and bone).  If you get a bull breed, be prepared to be consistent, and firm.  I caught our pup trying to mount my 2 year old.  She got the beating of her life.  Also the pinch collar and "neck breakers" have become our pup's intimate friend.  Some people think it is cruelty, trust me, it doesn't hurt them. 

I'd watch yourself if you are literally "beating" your dog.  You're going to end up creating a vicious animal, getting someone hurt or landing yourself in jail.  The terminology you've referenced also does not indicate you are well versed in proper training or proper maturity levels of owning a bull breed.  The more you use terminology like this, the more you are perpetuating the stereotype that you're using your dog to look tough etc etc etc.  The proper term is not "neck breaker" its a "pop-correction."  If you use the word "correction" after popping the collar hard enough to make them yelp a little (yes, it does hurt them) it is effective and they respond to you not out of fear of pain or repriesal, but because they feel they have let you down.  train properly or you will end up with a lawsuit.

body88

« Reply #222 on: December 15, 2006, 05:09:32 PM »
I'd watch yourself if you are literally "beating" your dog.  You're going to end up creating a vicious animal, getting someone hurt or landing yourself in jail.  The terminology you've referenced also does not indicate you are well versed in proper training or proper maturity levels of owning a bull breed.  The more you use terminology like this, the more you are perpetuating the stereotype that you're using your dog to look tough etc etc etc.  The proper term is not "neck breaker" its a "pop-correction."  If you use the word "correction" after popping the collar hard enough to make them yelp a little (yes, it does hurt them) it is effective and they respond to you not out of fear of pain or repriesal, but because they feel they have let you down.  train properly or you will end up with a lawsuit.

Word!

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #223 on: December 15, 2006, 06:03:21 PM »

Beating=sharp correction with me standing over her.  Neck breakers is a term Mike Harlow used to describe the "pop correction."  I have a couple of his videos.  I have already put down dogs that show (not encouraged) aggression (one bit a child), and by golly, no animal will ever attempt to show dominance over my two year old.  So for all the extremely, politically correct people, I make a correction.  (Not a neck breaker)

body88

« Reply #224 on: December 15, 2006, 06:22:17 PM »
Thanks for clearing that up. We deal with alot of people throwing things out there that are not true about pits and american bulls. Did not mean to offend you. Just making sure.