Author Topic: Happy Birthday Joe Weider!  (Read 7126 times)

Steve Blechman

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Happy Birthday Joe Weider!
« on: November 30, 2006, 09:47:46 AM »
Dear Joe,

Happy 86th birthday!

Joe did what no body else has done and in doing so brought bodybuilding - his true love - to the world. I love success stories and Joe Weider is a classic! I have tremendous respect for Joe and all his accomplishments in life. He contributed so much to so many in the bodybuilding world and whole heartedly deserves our gratitude.

Live Longer & Prosper Joe.

Sincerely:

Steve Blechman
Publisher/Editor-in-Chief
Muscular Development Magazine

Blockhead

• Toms
  • Getbig V
Re: Happy Birthday Joe!
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 09:49:33 AM »

The 'prosper' part I can see...but the 'live long' part probably doesn't apply anymore.

?

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 09:51:02 AM »
Dear Joe,

Happy 44th birthday!

Joe did what no body else has done and in doing so brought bodybuilding - his true love - to the world. I love success stories and Joe Weider is a classic! I have tremendous respect for Joe and all his accomplishments in life. He contributed so much to so many in the bodybuilding world and whole heartedly deserves our gratitude.

Live Long & Prosper Joe.

Sincerely:

Steve Blechman

Thank you, but your a little late, my birthday was in August ;D!!

anvil

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 10:07:19 AM »
 ;D

HUGEPECS

• Getbig V
  • School of Hard knocks Gym
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 10:32:00 AM »
Happy birthday, Papa Joe
Get Big, or Die Trying

Mr Gethin

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2006, 10:49:17 AM »
Happy birthday Joe!

I have just finished reading his book which along the way inspired so many decisions concerning the contruction of my own publication - making it personal!

Joe really struggled during his early years (as I am now) but his belief and un-wavering focus conqured all before him and eventually made a path for all of us in all areas to make a positive influence on bodybuilding - thats if we want it bad enough!

Many happy returns.

kris@kagedmuscle.com
Deputy Editor

nycbull

• Getbig V
  • Team Jay Should Have Won
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2006, 11:21:13 AM »
What bothers me is that although it is not his responsiblilty to take care of his athletes that have fallen on bad times, why not do it out of the goodness of his heart. To hear stories like Mike Menter and Rod Koonts, down on their luck with drug problems or homeless. Its like send out a car, pick these guys up and help em out. Jeez, whats so hard about helping the guys that helped you. Yea he doesn't owe them anything but what about just doing it because its the right thing to do.  So maybe he has grudges against some of theses athletes because they posed for another magazine or tried to make money on their own. Big deal, get over it. These guys are kids to him and he should be more like a dad and be forgiving and help them out. How can he live with himself knowing so many of these guys in his mags ended up with nothing?

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2006, 12:40:01 PM »
Joe really struggled during his early years

Joe's been a successful publisher since 1940.  hardly call that struggling

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2006, 03:00:20 PM »
Joe's been a successful publisher since 1940.  hardly call that struggling

He struggled enough to leave the East Coast cause he ended up owing every publisher there money.  When his resources ran out he moved to the West Coast.  I guess you can call that a good business move.

AVBG

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2006, 04:17:41 PM »
Dear Joe,

Happy 86th birthday!

Sincerely:

Steve Blechman

I dont know  :-\ . Does anyone believe that Joe goes to getbig.com? He seems more of a mayhem or flex type of guy.. Thats if he even knows how to use a computer?

If by chance he is online, Happy B'day Geezer!

venom gang.bronze

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2006, 04:46:06 PM »
What bothers me about Joe, is one, I don't respect anyone that lives in the closet and marrys a beard. But thats another thread.

What bothers me is that although it is not his responsiblilty to take care of his athletes that have fallen on bad times, why not do it out of the goodness of his heart. To hear stories like Mike Menter and Rod Koonts, down on their luck with drug problems or homeless. Its like send out a car, pick these guys up and help em out. Jeez, whats so hard about helping the guys that helped you. Yea he doesn't owe them anything but what about just doing it because its the right thing to do.  So maybe he has grudges against some of theses athletes because they posed for another magazine or tried to make money on their own. Big deal, get over it. These guys are kids to him and he should be more like a dad and be forgiving and help them out. How can he live with himself knowing so many of these guys in his mags ended up with nothing?
..totally agree with that. whether his boys need med insurance/health care, or to be rescued from dire straits, joe doesn't do shit for them.
...but, he sure made a ton of money off of their images!  man, that isn't right!
joe gave these guys "opportunities," so to speak, but without these guys, he wouldn't have had his empire.
what about flex, or matarazzo? do you think joe wired them the funds to take care of their health needs?
these are the "superstars" that kept him rich! why couldn't he help them out?
...i guess if you're to ill to do a reach around he wants no part of ya'!

phyxsius

• Getbig V
  • Mini Getbigger
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2006, 04:48:19 PM »
Could this be his last year to celebrate his birthday?
I am a mini beast

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2006, 04:49:09 PM »

that could be said about everyone

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Happy Birthday Joe Weider!
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2006, 05:33:47 PM »

Wishing Joe a very happy birthday. Whether you agree with his philosophies, or the way business was handled, the truth is that Joe Weider helped build the bodybuilding scene for all of us to prosper in, especially the supplement industry. His accomplishments and his help was incredible.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2006, 05:37:09 PM »
Uncle Joe putting you in your place Steve !!  ;)

boonasty

• Getbig IV
  • are you a famous getbigger? click on the globe!
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2006, 05:56:18 PM »
Wishing Joe a very happy birthday. Whether you agree with his philosophies, or the way business was handled, the truth is that Joe Weider helped build the bodybuilding scene for all of us to prosper in, especially the supplement industry. His accomplishments and his help was incredible.

word

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2006, 06:31:13 PM »

Yep, soon we will be celebrating the anniversary of his death.  Like Elvis

MikeThaMachine

• Getbig V
  • WTF Happened, BBing Is Dead. I Didn't Miss A Thing
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2006, 03:41:22 AM »
Well it seems no matter what the subject someone finds a way to make something negative out of it, the man has done more for bodybuilding (along w/ Ben) then anyone in history and we would probably not be on Getbig.com everyday talking about it if not for him, give hime a break. Anyway I hope he has a fun filled birthday and hopefully he doesn't soil himself from all the excitement. ;D HAHAHAHAHA ;D

Happy Birthday Grandpa Joe!
I

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2006, 03:56:22 AM »
Well it seems no matter what the subject someone finds a way to make something negative out of it, the man has done more for bodybuilding (along w/ Ben) then anyone in history and we would probably not be on Getbig.com everyday talking about it if not for him, give hime a break. Anyway I hope he has a fun filled birthday and hopefully he doesn't soil himself from all the excitement. ;D HAHAHAHAHA ;D

Happy Birthday Grandpa Joe!

Happy Birthday Joe you big gay!!  ;D

Nah just kidding - Joe loves the sport and I know I would never have heard of it if I hadn't picked up a copy of Muscle and Fitness back in October 1991 and read about the amazing way you can change your body with weights. I was 14 back then.

I'm now 29, have been training all this time, and I'm a paranoid, depressed, insecure, gear-injecting obsessive.

Yay!!!  ;D

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
  • "look, it's the drunk piano player."
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2006, 04:01:57 AM »
Once again..half the posts that were on this thread were deleted..Monster censorship.
footloose and fancy free

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2006, 04:02:31 AM »
Happy B'day Joe! Thanks for keeping the dream alive!

rocket

• Getbig V
  • Not a champion
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2006, 04:28:47 AM »
Joe doesn't read getbig does he?  Who are you talking to?

Slick Vic

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2006, 04:47:38 AM »
Trying to get in Joe's good graces, Steve?

LLES

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2006, 04:58:03 AM »
Dear Joe,

Happy 86th birthday!

Sincerely:

Steve Blechman

Is everyone at MD a complete suck-*ss ?? Jeez, I wouldn't wipe my ass with MD

LASTREP72

• Getbig III
  • STANZO-20 stayin crisp, tight, and strong!!!
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2006, 04:59:57 AM »
Joe doesn't read getbig does he?  Who are you talking to?
Same fucking thing I was thinking - Steve knows the dude personally - why come on here and say "Happy Birthday" as if big Joe is sitting behind a keyboard reading 240's lastest post and keeping up with the TA and DA bitch fighting contest ???
I'm Rick James BITCH!!!