Author Topic: Sports Stars and their bench numbers  (Read 3849 times)

Scimowser

• Getbig V
  • Make them remember you
Sports Stars and their bench numbers
« on: November 30, 2006, 11:25:15 AM »
interesting article listing alot of sports stars and what they can bench, from Larry Allens 700lber to Tiger woods' 190lber

http://www.criticalbench.com/pro-athletes-bench-press.htm
Scouser on Tour

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
Re: Sports Stars and their bench numbers
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 02:11:15 PM »
Good find. Im not too suprised that there is an endless number of 400-500lb benchers in professional sports. They do nothing but train and eat so what can you expect?

Funny story about athletes. I was invited to "try out" for a minor league football team (NAFL). The guys they had there were rediculous! There was a test to see how many times you could bench 225lbs and no one got more than 16. Is this common? Most people who lift cant bench 225 for at least 20 reps???

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 02:43:51 PM »
hahahaha, there were so many lies in that article it's hard to know where to start, it said that Pride fighters Mark Kerr and Mark Coleman did more than 600 which is bullshit, there is no way that Shaq benched 455, Tony Twist never benched 455, and never in a million years did Superfly Snuka bench 525.

Scimowser

• Getbig V
  • Make them remember you
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 03:11:21 PM »
Snuka was notoriously strong, but 565 is a hell of alot for him to shift. He was big as fuck though and juiced to the gills. I cant see Shaq doing that especially since his arms are so long
Scouser on Tour

rccs

• Getbig IV
  • Alma Matter!
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 04:25:00 AM »
Good find. Im not too suprised that there is an endless number of 400-500lb benchers in professional sports. They do nothing but train and eat so what can you expect?

Funny story about athletes. I was invited to "try out" for a minor league football team (NAFL). The guys they had there were rediculous! There was a test to see how many times you could bench 225lbs and no one got more than 16. Is this common? Most people who lift cant bench 225 for at least 20 reps???
Most athletes don't have what it takes... Most of us have it, but never get a real chance...
S

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2006, 11:40:29 AM »
Most athletes don't have what it takes... Most of us have it, but never get a real chance...

I agree. I believe the ones who would do best in certain sports either "never get a chance" or have no interest in it for one reason or another. Im included in the latter due to my utter lack of enthusiasm for football. I am definately built for the line but prefer the Strongman a thousand times over. Anyone else like this? Do you BB though you were born to PL? Or the other way around?

Some of these guys at try outs were completely delusional. What do you think about peoples reasoning for trying out? Do you think they truly love the sport? Are they just thinking of the $$$ others have made? Or do they actually think they are "equipped" to compete for a top spot?

rccs

• Getbig IV
  • Alma Matter!
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2006, 02:12:18 AM »
I agree. I believe the ones who would do best in certain sports either "never get a chance" or have no interest in it for one reason or another. Im included in the latter due to my utter lack of enthusiasm for football. I am definately built for the line but prefer the Strongman a thousand times over. Anyone else like this? Do you BB though you were born to PL? Or the other way around?

Some of these guys at try outs were completely delusional. What do you think about peoples reasoning for trying out? Do you think they truly love the sport? Are they just thinking of the $$$ others have made? Or do they actually think they are "equipped" to compete for a top spot?

I think that most professional athletes have goog managers that "build" their careers. I will talk about my personal experience. I was a natural for soccer, I played in youth divisions from 13 to 18 years old. Everyone said that I could get a good future on it. One day a trial was proposed to me... a trial of one entire week training at the youth facilities of FC PORTO, major club in Portugal and very well respected club in Europe. I went there and fulfilled the trial with success, but... there's always a but... the coach had to choose between me and some guy that had a manager already, well choise is easy, that sloppy player got the chance and I didn't. At the age of 18 started to bbing, trained 7 years natural, put a lot of hardwork in it (now I juice once a year since 2003), but never got the chance to compete real deal, bacause i would have to pay it for myself ( preparation would be around 3000 Eur), but didn't have enough money to get my first show, so it was impossible to get any kind of sponsorship. Things just starterd to change when I met "some people" when I started to do some work at night clubs, I started doing PL and trainning some kick and judo with the guys I met... Well I already entered in 2 PL competitions, to get to know the rules and learn how to train properly... I would still like to do something, but only time can tell.
I don't really respect 85% of professional athletes, bacause they don't really effort, it's about the money and not about the conquest. Soccer and other multimillion sports are a joke. I really respect, strongmen athletes, MMA figthers, 2 or 3 bbers and not much more.
S

Luolamies

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2006, 06:09:02 AM »
Yuo are correct SOCCER is and allways has been and allways will be a JOKE. Thereīs one thing that really pisses me off, i live in Finland and sports like soccer get a shitload of goverment support (money) even though we suck at soccer BIG TIME! Wrestling for example doesnīt get any serious money even though there have been a MEDAL-Flow from "the oldendays".

Strongman, donīt even get me started on that one, we have literally 1000īs of years of tradition and exceptional accomplishments, but it doesnīt get ANY support and even if a finnish guy would win a big championship it doesnīt even get couple of seconds in sport news.

The biggest problems we athletes face here is that even if you have some kind of sponshorship you still have to have "a regular" job. How can you train/eat/give 100% if you have to lift boxes or do something bs. for 10 hours a day? Goverment here spends millions and millions to build retarded opera houses and shit like that and nobody even uses them...

Go figure...
TEST+DECA+DBOL=BIG

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2006, 04:37:43 PM »
Yuo are correct SOCCER is and allways has been and allways will be a JOKE. Thereīs one thing that really pisses me off, i live in Finland and sports like soccer get a shitload of goverment support (money) even though we suck at soccer BIG TIME! Wrestling for example doesnīt get any serious money even though there have been a MEDAL-Flow from "the oldendays".

Strongman, donīt even get me started on that one, we have literally 1000īs of years of tradition and exceptional accomplishments, but it doesnīt get ANY support and even if a finnish guy would win a big championship it doesnīt even get couple of seconds in sport news.

The biggest problems we athletes face here is that even if you have some kind of sponshorship you still have to have "a regular" job. How can you train/eat/give 100% if you have to lift boxes or do something bs. for 10 hours a day? Goverment here spends millions and millions to build retarded opera houses and shit like that and nobody even uses them...

Go figure...

Will probably change for the better with Lehto, Smulter and Sandvik having success at high levels. Lehto being the best powerlifter in the world, even.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

Mr.Totality

• Getbig II
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2006, 05:13:52 PM »
I would agree that basketball players benching a serious amount of weight is doubtful based on arm length, but Snuka wouldnt surprise me

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2006, 08:21:38 PM »
this is the dumbest sentence i've ever read: "For example, top notch fighter in the NHL and Defense men Tony Twist can bench 405 with 25lbs plates added to the 405lbs barbell.."

why the hell wouldn't you just write "he benches 455"? bullshit all around. props to tiger woods for being honest though.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2006, 07:44:49 AM »
this is the dumbest sentence i've ever read: "For example, top notch fighter in the NHL and Defense men Tony Twist can bench 405 with 25lbs plates added to the 405lbs barbell.."

why the hell wouldn't you just write "he benches 455"? bullshit all around. props to tiger woods for being honest though.
exactly, Tony Twist played for the team where i live, the St. Louis Blues and i've seen him in person many times and he's a good sized guy maybe 6'1" 225-230lbs. but THERE IS NO WAY IN HELL looking at his build that he benched 455.

Buzz363

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2007, 10:00:44 AM »
I would be amazed if one NHL player could bench 400. A player is huge if he's over 220 lbs. I'm sure they could put up some decent numbers in the squat or olympic lifts but I'm unsure if the bench is even really used in training. I know the game focuses on core strength and lateral movement now.

That being said hockey fans and beer league players are completely delusional when it comes to hero worship. These guys are mostly fat, slow and out of shape yet  think that playing 2 nights a week and skating 20 second shifts keeps them healthy. ::)