Author Topic: Courts Ponder Value of Man's Best Friend  (Read 3862 times)

knny187

• Getbig V
Courts Ponder Value of Man's Best Friend
« on: December 04, 2006, 11:09:22 AM »
I personally think this is a good idea.  I don't believe the guy should be up for a death sentence....but I do believe pets are considered family members & not just property.

Courts Ponder Value of Man's Best Friend
By DAVID GRAM, AP

NORTHFIELD, Vt. (Dec. 4) -- When Denis and Sarah Scheele's dog was fatally shot after wandering onto a man's property, they sued - and not just for damages. The couple also wanted compensation for their emotional distress and loss of companionship.

Their case is one of a growing number around the country that asks courts to recognize what dog owners already do: that man's best friend is worth more than its retail price.

"When you lose something like that, the loss is immeasurable," said Sarah Scheele, 47. "You can't just go to a pet store and buy another animal. It doesn't replace the family member that was lost."

Unable to have children, the Scheeles got two dogs instead. They fed them human food, brushed their teeth and put coats on them when it rained.

The Scheeles say the death of Shadow, a shepherd-chow-spaniel mix they called their "little boy," entitles them to damages beyond the direct expenses typically awarded in such cases.

Historically, courts have allowed people suing over the death of an animal to collect such expenses as its purchase price and veterinary bills.

"Courts look at market value, and I don't think that reflects society's values," said the couple's attorney, Heidi Groff.

The Scheeles' case began in July 2003, when they drove from their home in Annapolis, Md., to Vermont to watch his aunt and uncle renew their wedding vows. They planned to leave the dogs in their truck during the service.

They got to the church early, so they let the dogs loose, a violation of the leash law in Northfield, which is 10 miles south of Montpelier.

The dogs wandered into Lewis Dustin's yard. Dustin, 70, who had been squirrel hunting that day, had a combination BB and pellet gun at the ready.

According to the Scheeles, Shadow didn't menace Dustin. But Dustin fired a pellet at Shadow in hopes of scaring him off.

Instead, the shot penetrated the dog's chest and severed an aorta. Shadow died en route to a veterinarian's office.

Dustin later pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge of animal cruelty. He was given a year of probation and ordered to perform 100 hours of community service and pay $4,000 in restitution.

A judge ruled in the Scheeles' civil suit that there is no provision in Vermont law that would allow them to recover damages for the loss of Shadow's companionship or for emotional distress.

The couple plan to appeal to the state Supreme Court.

"What we're trying to do is expand the law to recognize that the companionship between a dog and its owner is such that the owner is entitled to compensation" when that relationship is destroyed, said David Putter, an attorney hired to help with the appeal.

Though the attorneys acknowledge it's a novel legal theory, noting that people can't sue for loss of companionship in the deaths of best friends or domestic partners, they want an exception for four-legged friends.

In recent years, trial courts in Florida, New York, Illinois, California, Oregon and Washington have carved out a category for pets that is somewhere between property and people.

An appeals court in Washington state last May created a new tort called "malicious injury to a pet," which allows someone to collect emotional distress damages. The case involved three teenagers who doused a cat with gasoline and lit it on fire. The cat was euthanized.

Animal law expert Geordie Duckler said appellate courts have lagged society at large in recognizing the relationship between a pet and its owner.

"As soon as some good appellate panel (of judges) recognizes this special relationship that people have had for a long time with their pets, I think it will be like the flip of a light switch," and the law nationwide will change, said Duckler, a Portland, Ore., lawyer.

For his part, Dustin believes the issue has been overblown.

"These people think that this dog is a human being," he said. "It's not a human being. And that dog was trespassing."

Dustin, 74, said he can't afford a lawyer and would take whatever comes as the litigation continues.

"If they want to put me in jail, that's what they can do," he said. "I'm not going to pay them anything because I don't owe them anything. All I'm going to do is go to court and go through the motions."

Sarah Scheele said she and her husband are pursing the case to honor Shadow.

"We're not in it for the money," she said. "We want to get national legislation that will recognize pets as companions and not just property."

body88

Re: Courts Ponder Value of Man's Best Friend
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 11:26:24 AM »
There needs to be tougher laws against animal abuse. Dog fighters and irresponsible abusive assholes need to pay. There needs to be legit punishment. Not this fine and slap on the wrist shit.

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 11:29:54 AM »
Agreed.  I don't think an exact value can be put on a dog, but its certainly greater than what most courts would award.  Why he decided to scare the dog off with a pellet gun is beyond me.  He can't throw a rock in its direction or walk inside if he's scared????  Sounds to me like the guy wanted to intentionaly be cruel. 

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 11:52:26 AM »
If a dog walks into someone's property then it's fair game.

I can understand if the guy was out to kill the dog, but the dog wandered into his property.

buffbodz

• Getbig V
  • It's only a board
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 11:53:46 AM »
Agreed.  I don't think an exact value can be put on a dog, but its certainly greater than what most courts would award.  Why he decided to scare the dog off with a pellet gun is beyond me.  He can't throw a rock in its direction or walk inside if he's scared????  Sounds to me like the guy wanted to intentionaly be cruel. 
Agreed.  The kids are gone, so the dogs are our family.  Some would get others wouldn't.  That guy was so wrong that he needs punishment for killing what was obviously their pet and not a wild animal in the woods.  Shooters must be held accountable for what they shoot.  It's not a shoot first ask questions next society we live in.  Give the guy a year to think know what separation  from a loved one, even a dog, or cat in Knny's case is like.
6 meals lift heavy and 1/2 hr cardio

body88

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 12:00:25 PM »

I can understand if the guy was out to kill the dog, but the dog wandered into his property.

This is a good point. You guys know how much of a dog lover I am. But the owners need to be more responsible with there animals. While this is a sad situation you cannot expect criminal action with this particular case. The owners should be mad at themselves for letting the dog roam. The shooter is ob an asshole.But in this case severe criminal action is not called for. Guy is still a dick tho.

I am talking about people who harm and abuse animals. Dog fighters. People who torture animals. Etc etc.

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
  • Hesitation doesn't come easily in this blood...
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006, 12:00:51 PM »

I agree. Death sentance for killing a dog? Get real you fucking looneys. What next? Legalized marriage with pets? ::)
الاسلام هو شيطانية

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2006, 12:12:31 PM »
I think the issue I am bringing up is; how hard would it have been for this guy to have pickedup the phone and called animal control or the owners?  Even if this was a complete stray, had an animal control officer or SPCA officer to neighbors had seen this incident, its still animal abuse in their eyes and worthy of a fine or imprisonment. 

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2006, 12:17:16 PM »

This is a good point. You guys know how much of a dog lover I am. But the owners need to be more responsible with there animals. While this is a sad situation you cannot expect criminal action with this particular case. The owners should be mad at themselves for letting the dog roam. The shooter is ob an asshole.But in this case severe criminal action is not called for. Guy is still a dick tho.

I am talking about people who harm and abuse animals. Dog fighters. People who torture animals. Etc etc.

I agree with you, abusing and hurting animals is wrong. But owners should be angry with themselves for letting their loving pet wander into someone's property. Shooting the dog was excessive and unnecessary, but the dog's owners can't really say anything because they let their dog wander. Dogs are animals and should be on leashes at all times.

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2006, 12:19:08 PM »
I agree with you, abusing and hurting animals is wrong. But owners should be angry with themselves for letting their loving pet wander into someone's property. Shooting the dog was excessive and unnecessary, but the dog's owners can't really say anything because they let their dog wander. Dogs are animals and should be on leashes at all times.

i definetely agree, but there are many options OTHER than shooting the dog. 

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2006, 12:21:39 PM »

The guy should get fined atleast, not imprisonment. This was not a person and I don't give a shit how much the those guys loved that animal.

body88

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2006, 12:21:59 PM »

True. That is why i believe the cruelty charge and large fine was warrented. Since this guy took it to the extreme . But because it was his property and the dog could have been a nuisance, criminal action should not have been taken.

If this guy had shot the dog off his property. Or abused it in anyway. He then should face stiff criminal charges.

I do agree with you tho. Shooting the poor little guy was a dick move >:(

body88

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2006, 12:39:44 PM »
If only he used a paintball gun...

I would be much more harsh with a younger person. but since this guy was 70 I think you could kind of expect him to act this way. Still sucks for the dog :-[

buffbodz

• Getbig V
  • It's only a board
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2006, 12:42:34 PM »
You're kidding right.  I love my dog but I would just pummle the shooter's ass and then make him buy me a new dog. Other than that, why go to court. 

Pummel a 70 year old dudes ass.  Felony.  Assault on a person ofer 60 is much worse than just pummeling a 25 year old.  Do it your way and you won't see xmas for atleast 3 years, if you'r lucky.  Let the law do it's job.
6 meals lift heavy and 1/2 hr cardio

Diesel1

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2006, 12:57:02 PM »
So he killed a dog, so what!

No doubt it was wandering around shitting everywhere

This picture says it all really. She's sat with the dogs whilst he's on the bottom rung like a mug. He knows his lowly place in that house lol

Deedee

• Getbig V
  • They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm.
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2006, 01:13:15 PM »
I think the issue I am bringing up is; how hard would it have been for this guy to have pickedup the phone and called animal control or the owners?  Even if this was a complete stray, had an animal control officer or SPCA officer to neighbors had seen this incident, its still animal abuse in their eyes and worthy of a fine or imprisonment.  

The owners were from out of town, I think.  If you've ever been to Northfield, Vermont, you might revise your opinion.  :-\  It's a rural area, so it would take the SPCA about an hour or two to get there...and old country folk have a different attitude towards nature.  Plus the guy had been squirrel hunting... what does that tell you?  :P

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2006, 01:32:15 PM »
Plus the guy had been squirrel hunting... what does that tell you?  :P

he likes stringy meat?

:-\

Personally...if a dog wonders on someone property & took a dump...what's the big deal?

I think way too many people are uptight about "what's theirs"

Deedee

• Getbig V
  • They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm.
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2006, 01:38:17 PM »
Well, yes, he was definitely a b*stard!  It's just, I can picture this guy so perfectly... doesn't surprise me at all that someone would take a shot at a dog.  Anyway, he only meant to scare the dog. Probably his vision isn't so hot anymore, and he missed.  Or rather, didn't.  :(

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
  • Hesitation doesn't come easily in this blood...
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2006, 01:40:12 PM »
he likes stringy meat?

:-\

Personally...if a dog wonders on someone property & took a dump...what's the big deal?

I think way too many people are uptight about "what's theirs"

If a dog shit on my lawn I for one would be mega pissed off. Why the fuck should I have to clean up after some animal and it's disgusting owner?

Look at her picture... clearly into beastality.
الاسلام هو شيطانية

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2006, 02:05:05 PM »
If a dog shit on my lawn I for one would be mega pissed off. Why the f**k should I have to clean up after some animal and it's disgusting owner?

Look at her picture... clearly into beastality.

So what do you do if a rabbit wonders on your lawn & leaves some droppings?

better yet....

a bird flies down & drops a plop on your car?

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2006, 02:58:32 PM »
I think the issue I am bringing up is; how hard would it have been for this guy to have pickedup the phone and called animal control or the owners? 

Judging from some of the responses in this thread, its really hard for some of the more mentally challenged people.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2006, 08:55:40 AM »
Get ready to bring home dinner....

makes a lot of sense.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2006, 08:59:17 AM »

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2006, 07:27:50 AM »

So what do you do if a rabbit wonders on your lawn & leaves some droppings?

better yet....

a bird flies down & drops a plop on your car?

I bust out my air rifle. And bird shit isn't the same as dog shit.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2006, 08:51:24 AM »
I bust out my air rifle. And bird shit isn't the same as dog shit.

Shooting an animal for wondering on someone's property is a pretty lame excuse.