Author Topic: When are the mags gonna hire some dudes that aren't fanboys?  (Read 2268 times)

jwb

• Getbig V
When are the mags gonna hire some dudes that aren't fanboys?
« on: December 04, 2006, 10:55:18 PM »
The problem with the mags today is that ALL the fags that write for them are really just guys that wanna be around bodybuilders and be their "friends"

Maybe some are gay, maybe some not gay (or just repressed).

The problem is that the coverage gets biased, things get twisted from what the real truth is etc etc.

The result is that we, the fans who actually take this sport seriously as a sport (and no Joe/intenseone we don't need another it isn't a sport post dude), get shortchanged .

Tell me another field where the journalists suck up to the people they cover as much as this one?

The sport needs some writers that don't give a shit about individuals but care about the integrity of the sport they cover.

Things would improve then trust me...

Stark

• Getbig V
Re: When are the mags gonna hire some dudes that aren't fanboys?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 12:06:18 AM »
What MD is not No Bull enough for you?

Livewire

• Getbig IV
  • I call Nasser.
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 12:10:07 AM »
MD is all bull.  'no bull' wouldnt delete and censor people like that.  i am banned there.
Nasser called Palumbo an acromegalion

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2006, 12:12:49 AM »
MD is all bull.  'no bull' wouldnt delete and censor people like that.  i am banned there.

i think i get myself banned there too as soon as they discover that I advertise Dereks number for good g4p under my avarar :D :D
http://www.musculardevelopment.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1803&page=10

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2006, 12:21:43 AM »
I would like to be MD's official mag reviewer.

I would like that, this way you could make sure you get rid if all the shit Muscletech adds.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2006, 12:46:12 AM »
I would like to be MD's official mag reviewer.

Here you go

JaggyShortBuff

• Getbig IV
  • Art Work In Motion
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2006, 05:01:35 AM »
MD is full of fanboy, bodybuilder wannabe, muscle worshipping, trannies...I remember when I use to buy into their 'No Bull' talk...Until I became more educated about the industry myself; I realized I was just agreeing with people I thought had the best interest of the bodybuilding industry in mind....I was sadly mistaken just like I was when I thought Bob would do more as "Athlete Rep" other than securing his own titles and contracts in the industry.... ::)
Watching The Haters

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2006, 05:08:12 AM »
there's no problem with mags. they're not needed. we got the internet
Z

JaggyShortBuff

• Getbig IV
  • Art Work In Motion
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2006, 05:12:14 AM »

Exactly...I have no current subscriptions to any bodybuilding etc. magazines...I have had a better view on the bodybuilding industry from just being able to chat with pro's online from time to time...Rather than buying into what a magazine would like me to hype up....
Watching The Haters

nycbull

• Getbig V
  • Team Jay Should Have Won
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2006, 05:19:09 AM »
The problem with the mags today is that ALL the fags that write for them are really just guys that wanna be around bodybuilders and be their "friends"

Maybe some are gay, maybe some not gay (or just repressed).

The problem is that the coverage gets biased, things get twisted from what the real truth is etc etc.

The result is that we, the fans who actually take this sport seriously as a sport (and no Joe/intenseone we don't need another it isn't a sport post dude), get shortchanged .

Tell me another field where the journalists suck up to the people they cover as much as this one?

The sport needs some writers that don't give a shit about individuals but care about the integrity of the sport they cover.

Things would improve then trust me...

You are wrong in that the industry would never hire an openly gay writer. But I agree that straight closeted/repressed writers worship muscle men and kiss their ass's like no other. Real gay men are highly critical and rebellious. Causing trouble and enacting change is their birthright.

fearANDloathing

• Getbig III
  • Deep in The Plak Tow. Don't Fuck with me!
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2006, 08:15:53 AM »

Mags are the dinosaurs of media. I haven't bought one in YEARS!  :)

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2006, 08:16:47 AM »

Here you go

Is that a childhood pic of yours?

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2006, 08:18:28 AM »
i think i get myself banned there too as soon as they discover that I advertise Dereks number for good g4p under my avarar :D :D
http://www.musculardevelopment.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1803&page=10

Classic shit! ;D

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2006, 10:15:54 AM »
guys, bodybuilding is probably the most open and honest sport in the country. name one other sport that has magazines that tell what steroids the athletes take and what drugs they do at parties? are you guys telling me you'll open up a sports illustrated and read about what kind of gear nfl players use to get past the tests? can you log onto espn.com and start talking about what drugs terrell owens was on the day he got the police called on him and not be banned or put in some kind of time out?

face it, we got the most honest community in general and the mags are definitely more fair than any other sport gets.

anvil

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2006, 10:24:26 AM »
 ^  Well said, good post.

Blockhead

• Toms
  • Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2006, 10:36:11 AM »
guys, bodybuilding is probably the most open and honest sport in the country. name one other sport that has magazines that tell what steroids the athletes take and what drugs they do at parties? are you guys telling me you'll open up a sports illustrated and read about what kind of gear nfl players use to get past the tests? can you log onto espn.com and start talking about what drugs terrell owens was on the day he got the police called on him and not be banned or put in some kind of time out?

face it, we got the most honest community in general and the mags are definitely more fair than any other sport gets.
Good post.

MD would still benefit if they hired SpecialEd to handle a monthly column reviewing the latest gossips&opinions in the industry.

They are in dire need of fresh talent.
?

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2006, 10:40:13 AM »
Is that a childhood pic of yours?

Yes, why do you make fun of me.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2006, 10:49:41 AM »
Good post.

MD would still benefit if they hired SpecialEd to handle a monthly column reviewing the latest gossips&opinions in the industry.

i think any mag would benefit from an uncensored specialed column of some kind.

Blockhead

• Toms
  • Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2006, 12:05:03 PM »

I agree.

Special 'Top10Machine' Ed is the most talented and intelligent guy on this entire forum.

His input about the industry and his keyhole view about everything would be a huge addition to a magazine.

Kind of like how 'Dirk Diggler' had a section just blogging about industry stuff...there could be a 'Special Ed Says...' column. That would be genius.

'Special Ed Says'.

At the end of all his column he could end it with his signature 'fill in the blank' between SPECIAL and ED.

Why O why does Blechman NOT recognize this?

?

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2006, 12:10:19 PM »
actually i think special ed would be best used like those little in-the-border cartoons in mad magazine. littered throughout the pages of md would be his comments on things. plus a top 10 list now and again.

Jujoshu

• Getbig III
  • Front Row Tickets
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2006, 12:17:43 PM »
What do you need magazines for anyway? To look at the pretty pictures? Sadly enough, most magazines recycle the same crap. How many times can you read about training and diet? The only thing I would buy them for would be the occasional interview.

Blockhead

• Toms
  • Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2006, 12:18:45 PM »
actually i think special ed would be best used like those little in-the-border cartoons in mad magazine. littered throughout the pages of md would be his comments on things. plus a top 10 list now and again.
Bingo! He would generate fun and interest throughout the ENTIRE magazine! Every major topic covered...there can be a section with 'Special Ed Says' then he gives his input.

Or on the very BACK page...usually reserved for Romano with his final word. Fawk that...give that section to SpecialEd and let him do what he does best. Then like you said...a 'Top 10' just added in at various spots.

He told me once that Blechman recognized he had writing skills. I dont know why Blechman recognized it but then never did anything about it. MD needs to ass a splash of humor if it wants to stay on top. GETBIG is the most wildly popular...why? Because its FUNNY. 90% of the reason why I check this daily and post is because of the HUMOR and wit.

Throw in a splash of humor and 'the funny' in MD and it will balance out and stabalize. MD is too serious nowadays. Getting too political. If I want to read something so serious I'd pick up a Wall Street Journal.
?

McFarland

• Getbig V
  • Tastes Like WINNING
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2006, 12:29:56 PM »
Good post.

So would Ed have to stop posting on the boards?  How much of his material would he have to hold back to make his contributions to the mags unique enough to earn whatever they were paying him?  And if Ed were hired into such a position, who or what would he poke fun at then?  His material is based on real world shit, so anyone that it hit home with on a personal level might be prone to developing a beef with Ed.  Look at the issue that's recently arisen as a result of Valentino alluding to IFBB pro indiscretions in his column over on MD.  How much shit would he get into based on which online topics he chose to chronicle/summarize/critique?  Would his working for them make him an even bigger target for the trolls if he didn't submit material spun in their favor?  Or does he think that people would be more prone to suck up to him online to get favorable coverage in the magazines?  If he had a top 10 list that he wanted to post, how would his working for the magazines affect his ability to just post whatever he wanted, when he wanted?  How bad would it suck having to come up with material based on a formal obligation to do so at the end of the month when his article was due?  Why do you care, Blockhead, that MD would benefit, when the boards would probably suffer as a result of any formal obligation Ed was able to secure with a magazine?    

Just food for thought.    

Blockhead

• Toms
  • Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2006, 12:38:22 PM »

Well...you guys still got ME here.

I care because I do like MD and I still like the old fashioned OPENING a book to READ and flip through pages. Bringing a laptop on the can with me when I drop my 30minutes morning DEUCE doesnt cut it for me.

Also...although I have been told that I, TheBlockHead, is also a talented writer with excellent insight of the BB world but I admit and acknowledge I am not as clever and my words doesnt flow as well as SpecialEd. I like SpecialEd as a friend and me, not being a jealous man and not like 90% of this industry...I would LOVE to see SpecialEd 'do something' with his usual blogging and posting he does anyway. Who would ever think being a wiseguy on Getbig would get you recognized and hired to be paid for it. SpecialEd would be the only man who can make that happen.

I doubt he'd be too restricted. Maybe a little to save it for the magazine but so what? He'll still be a part of this 'cyber world' and those smart enough to undertsand will accept he has to hold back HERE to give it up THERE. That's life, yo!

Like I said...you still have me. If SpecialEd would slow down his posting here...I would step up to make the Top 10's. I can hold my own with those...I made a couple good ones in my day. Want to hear my 'Top 10 Thing Cormier is doing BESIDE staying focued and training hard for the ASC?'
?

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2006, 01:32:55 PM »
You are wrong in that the industry would never hire an openly gay writer. But I agree that straight closeted/repressed writers worship muscle men and kiss their ass's like no other. Real gay men are highly critical and rebellious. Causing trouble and enacting change is their birthright.

Ron Harris?
HAHA, RON.....