Author Topic: onlyme - question  (Read 2881 times)

mac33

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
onlyme - question
« on: December 05, 2006, 02:16:38 AM »
Well since you know/knew so many people I was wondering if you ever met Udo Beyer or if you have any good stories about him.

For some information here are some lifts that he made:

http://www.throwers.org/showthread.php?t=5129

Also read through the posts there are some unbelievable numbers posted...

mac33

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
Re: onlyme - question
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 02:38:20 AM »
forgot - you have to register.

Here are the stats:
Udo Beyer 09.08.1955 Germany
Height: 1.96m
Weight: 130kg
Job: Owner of a travel agency in Potsdam
Place of birth: Eisenhuttenstadt, East Germany

Training Shot PRs:
8kg: over 21m
7.26kg standing: 21.20m
overhead shot: 23m

discus: 56.42m

Meet Shot PR Progression:
1973 19.63 WYB17 Erfurt 7 Jul
1974 20.20 2 Leipzig 6 Jul
1977 21.74 1 WCp Düsseldorf 2 Sep
1986 22.64 1 East Berlin 20 Aug

Indoor
1985 21.39i 1 Potsdam 6 Jan

Lift PRs
1/2 Squat: 5 X 400kg
Benchpress: 290kg
push jerk(behind the head): 300kg

no snatch and power clean

Jump PRs
Standing long jump: 3.60m

CHAMPIONSHIP PERFORMANCES:

Olympics: 1976 Gold Shot Put, 1980 bronze Shot Put. European: 1978 & 1982 Gold Shot Put, 1986 bronze Shot Put.

CAREER HIGHLIGHTS:
1976 Olympic Shot Put gold at 20 years of age

Many athletes seize their moment of glory when another more credentialed athlete performs well below par. As a twenty-year old, Udo Beyer won the Shot Put at the 1976 Montreal Olympic Games when five much more mature athletes threw well below their seasonal bests. In fact, Beyer nearly didn't make it to the Olympics at all, having only been included in the East German team at the last minute. Udo's best throw (and personal best) for the 1976 season prior to the Olympics was 21.12m, whereas five other athletes had seasonal bests over 21.50m, including Alexsandr Baryshnikov (Soviet Union), who had set a new world record of 22.00m only two weeks before the Olympics. Indeed, Baryshnikov confirmed his status as gold medal favourite at Montreal when he threw 21.32m to set a new Olympic record in the qualifying round on 23 July. However, in the final the next day, none of the top throwers could get anywhere near their previous bests except the young Beyer, who threw 21.05m (see photo above) to narrowly win the gold medal. This signalled the start of a decade of dominance in the event by Beyer. In 1978, he broke the world record for the first time, throwing 22.15m at Gothenburg on 6 July. He produced the top 11 throws in the world that year, and easily won the European title at Prague on 1 September with a throw of 21.08m. In 1980, he produced the longest five throws of the year, and it seemed a mere formality that he would successfully defend his Olympic title at Moscow. However, Udo was somewhat below par on the day of the final, and finished a surprising third. It was later revealed that he had pulled a back muscle

Some posts:

Snatch info, hang snatch e.german style, from hip with a deep split-190kg, 1rmax Squat 45okg, all the rest already detailed above.

Best Standing throw of him: 21,94m at the warm up before his 22,64m-competion.

He told me, he did in bench press 4x295kg

I met the great Bill Kazmaier in Birmingham, England in about 1988, when Bill was still competing in the worlds strongest man.

He mentioned that the competition would be open to "eastern bloc" athletes and I remeber telling him about Beyer and how if anyone could beat Bill it maybe Beyer.

Udo owns a travel agency in potsdam. he isn´t working as coach, but training for itself - but i think, he don´t do strength training anymore. he told me, in his last years vacation, he did nearly 1000km by bicycle.

one story about him: a few days before the world championship in rome he broke a bar there in bench press training...
One story I heard about Udo Beyer was before the 1980 Olympics in Moscow he was in the weights room.

Geoff capes was dowing squats onto a bench for reps with about 500 lbs.

The story i heard was that after Geoff had finished Udo Beyer came in and without a warm up squated into the bench and then pushed 500 lbs behind his neck. as everyone looked in awe he did it again.

I dont know how much he would do if he had warmed up at his peak but I would presume about 550 lbs.

I heard this story from someone who was told by geoff capes himself.

660 was the max, done for 10 singles

The 660lbs were push presses, using his legs, when he pressed the 500lbs X 2 he was seated, obviously a big difference.