Author Topic: Dorkeroo earned his MSc in physiology. Congratulations.  (Read 7625 times)

dorkeroo

• Getbig IV
  • I need steroids for the brain.
Re: One of our members earned his MSc in exercise science. Congratulations.
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2006, 04:54:25 PM »
Looks like some ineteresting research, I assume you did alot of immunofluresence work, with specific Ab's to the Raf1 and PKC and developed nice photos of these two proteins localized together on some cytoskeletal proteins in these THP-1 cells. I guess the next two steps would be to develop a way to inhibit their interaction by. finding the ammino acid residue where binding is occuring (using recombinant proteins - this could be very hard) or accually using the Ab's to try and interfere with their binding. But this could be a serious task if your protein has 300 binding partners. That TA is a true dickhead, your work is beyond the title of exersize science - your shyt is straight cell\molecular biology. I'm currently working on a PhD purifying and characterizing a cell-wall protein PGIP (polygalacturonase-inhibiting protein) from strawberry plants and trying to extract proteins from the cell-wall of plants is no joke!!

First off, let me say thank you to not just you, but everyone on the board that have had such supportive things to say regarding this. I didn't think anyone on here would care.

Secondly, Vince, the day I am at "your level" is the day I will shoot myself. That may come off as personal, and maybe it is, however, you have made an extarordinary ass of yourself on here. Adonis isn't even worth responding to on these boards. His comment was neither witty nor pertinent.

Anyways, there was a tonne of immunofluorescence work done during the completion of my thesis. You are absolutely correct that the use of interference peptides may be of some value in elucidating the exact mechanisms of the interactions I observed during the course of my experiments. There are a huge number of additional experiments that have to be done in order to complete this tiny picture in the huge picture of cell signaling. Furthermore, you are absolutely correct that inhibiting the function of 14-3-3 proteins may be difficult for a number of reasons, however, there is some good news: their number in the cell may be finite insofar as availability is concerned and may be a mechanism through which cell signaling is regulated via these proteins.

To those of you doing a PhD, I applaud you. That is a long arduous road and I have nothing but respect for you regarding that. By the way I am really sorry I am not mentioning everyone individually, but, after having just finished, I am feeling kind of tired of typing.

Also, in regards to the pertinence of this work to hypertrophy, there is most definetly some cross over. I understand that my project was very specific, however, the component parts of cell signaling that I studied are ubiquitously expressed in cells and play roles in growth, differentiation and apoptosis, all of which are most definetly important processes regarding muscular growth. I can not tell you how, however, these enzymes are of critical importance in tissue growth and development and thus, if understood at even a basic level, it would make reading more specific research papers much, much easier.

Anyways, if anyone wants links to rather broad reviews of the Raf-1 kinase, the PKC kinase family or 14-3-3 proteins, I would be happy to oblige. Thanks again Vince (B) and everyone else for their well wishes. To the others, keep up the good work, you make this place what it is  :D

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
Re: Dorkeroo earned his MSc in physiology. Congratulations.
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2006, 04:54:40 PM »
I find it a travesty that a guy like Goodrum will post unimpressive certificates after his 'name' but not congratulate a person who obtained a degree that is beyond his capacity to even appreciate let alone obtain.

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2006, 04:56:28 PM »
Congratulations Dorkeroo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
just push some weight!

Alex Velickovic

• Getbig II
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2006, 05:01:48 PM »
congrats Dorkeroo!  :)

dorkeroo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2006, 05:02:36 PM »
Congratulations Dorkeroo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Alexxx :) With your well wishes, med school should be a breeze  :P

Thanks to you to Alex Velickovic, it is always nice to get support after finishing something like this.

Alex Velickovic

• Getbig II
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2006, 05:06:58 PM »
Thanks Alexxx :) With your well wishes, med school should be a breeze  :P

Thanks to you to Alex Velickovic, it is always nice to get support after finishing something like this.

You'll do it no problem. I have read your posts, you know your stuff.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2006, 05:08:59 PM »
I think there are many intelligent individuals who post here just for fun.  When a serious topic emerges we sometimes get a glimpse of that intelligence. For some strange reason it is easy to disguise intelligence, but ignorance and dullness shine forth! I haven't met an intelligent person on this forum who isn't amused with the antics of Goodrum. The pompous obliviousness that he radiates lights up the board.

dorkeroo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2006, 05:10:19 PM »
I find it a travesty that a guy like Goodrum will post unimpressive certificates after his 'name' but not congratulate a person who obtained a degree that is beyond his capacity to even appreciate let alone obtain.

Sorry Vince, I forgot you asked me to break it down further so I will give it a go.

In order to mount an immune response to a number of infectious agents your body employs signaling proteins called cytokines which aid in the mediation of an immune response.

In order to generate these responses a number of internal signaling pathways within the cells are used. Two very important ones, Raf-1 and PKC were demonstrated in my thesis to not only contribute to the secretion of cytokines after bacterial (LPS) stimulation, but to also interact with eachother functionally within a scaffolding protein called 14-3-3 which kind of holds them together to facilitate the chemical reaction.

However, I can not stress enough the importance that although my thesis is specific, the understanding of a HUGE number of cellular processes is governed in part by both the MAPK pathways and PKC activity, so once these are understood, their application in other areas is easier as is reading scientific papers in general. The number of cellular processes these enzymes contribute to is incredibly large and are most definetly involved in growth and differentiation of many, many tissue types.

Thanks again everyone. :)

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2006, 05:45:34 PM »
Vince Basile and Dorkeroo.  Yes I will congratulate you on your degree but the fact is you haven't done anything with your degree yet. 

Yes, you have written some paper but have you done any personal training, nutritional consulting with any clients??  Have you set up and established a business???  Do you have a track record of results?????

The fact is that I do and I've been doing it for over 5 years since I first started my business in 2001.  The real world is different and when you're able to manage that, then you may compare yourself to me.  Other than that, you're nothing more than someone who has a lot of book knowledge but no street sense.
A

pobrecito

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2006, 05:49:34 PM »
Where are you going to medical school?

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2006, 06:03:27 PM »
Melvin, you truly are a buffoon! I could write better personal training courses than are offered out there. That is how confident I am about the things I have learned over my almost 50 years in the Irongame. When a guy gets two easy online certificates and then criticizes guys like Pete and me I am stunned. Goodrum sets a new standard on Getbig for being a knucklehead. Then he pontificates about his great knowledge and the success he has had with clients. As far as I am concerned, he should not be giving anyone any training or nutrition advice. I certainly would not hire him to work in my gym.

Like Steve Weinberger once said, "What a nerve!" You have to use a NY accent on the 'nerve'.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2006, 06:32:21 PM »
Congrats and best wishes Dorkeroo. Despite the thinner air in the upper treaches of academia, don't forget to retain some of the whimsy inherent in your name and your GB posts.  :)

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2006, 07:32:11 PM »
I haven't met an intelligent person on this forum who isn't amused with the antics of Goodrum. The pompous obliviousness that he radiates lights up the board.

Mr. Basile,
Respectfully - you've opened my eyes and made me realize that Vince G. IS good for ONE THING.
And all this time that little bugger had me fooled. ;)
A most remarkable epiphany!
Thank you.

dorkeroo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2006, 10:56:55 PM »
Vince Basile and Dorkeroo.  Yes I will congratulate you on your degree but the fact is you haven't done anything with your degree yet. 

Yes, you have written some paper but have you done any personal training, nutritional consulting with any clients??  Have you set up and established a business???  Do you have a track record of results?????

The fact is that I do and I've been doing it for over 5 years since I first started my business in 2001.  The real world is different and when you're able to manage that, then you may compare yourself to me.  Other than that, you're nothing more than someone who has a lot of book knowledge but no street sense.

Vince, I am going to medical school with it. How is that nothing? I will be doing just fine in 4 years time and more than likely, far better than you will be. I am not wishing you anything bad, however, taking shots at something like this shows extremely little class.

Furthermore, I don't want to train people. It isn't what I do. Try to understand that. If you are just typing to get a response then fine, however, if you do want to be taken seriously and are maintaining this line of thought, you are far stupider than I ever gave you credit for. I appreciate the congrats if you mean it, but, you can keep the backhanded compliments/kudos to yourself.

Hey Cr. Chimps, thanks for the well wishes, I appreciate them.

Pobrecito, I may let on where I am going in awhile, but, for the time being I would rather that not be let on here, only because we have some people on here that like to "out" people and try to ruin lives over stupid internet postings. I can just imagine Adonis looking me up and trying to get me in trouble over me saying he is obnoxious and arrogant without cause  :P

Ukpipes

• Getbig II
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2006, 11:14:22 PM »
Congrats Dorkeroo!! Im starting my MSc in Sports Rehabilitation in Feb, really looking forward to it, well done to all entering/completing postgraduate studies!

Im sure your MSc physiology will give you a huge head start at med school. Dorkeroo what was your undergraduate degree (BSc) in ?

Alex Velickovic

• Getbig II
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2006, 11:59:07 PM »
Congrats Dorkeroo!! Im starting my MSc in Sports Rehabilitation in Feb, really looking forward to it, well done to all entering/completing postgraduate studies!

Im sure your MSc physiology will give you a huge head start at med school. Dorkeroo what was your undergraduate degree (BSc) in ?

Goodluck Ukpipes!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2006, 12:02:34 AM »
dorkeroo, props.

The level of knowledge you have is tremendous.  Good luck in med school!

Alex23

« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2006, 12:19:02 AM »

I know many feel university degrees don't mean much, but go and see if you can get a MSc degree. I think that would be beyond most people here.

Props to Pete. I disagree with "beyond most people here"... I know plenty who have a Msc on here.. recently go surprised to find out that a very well known poster here is actually a buddy of mine back from Stanford Computer science... we did our Msc together....  8)

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2006, 05:53:45 AM »
Vince, I am going to medical school with it. How is that nothing? I will be doing just fine in 4 years time and more than likely, far better than you will be. I am not wishing you anything bad, however, taking shots at something like this shows extremely little class.

Furthermore, I don't want to train people. It isn't what I do. Try to understand that. If you are just typing to get a response then fine, however, if you do want to be taken seriously and are maintaining this line of thought, you are far stupider than I ever gave you credit for. I appreciate the congrats if you mean it, but, you can keep the backhanded compliments/kudos to yourself.

Hey Cr. Chimps, thanks for the well wishes, I appreciate them.

Pobrecito, I may let on where I am going in awhile, but, for the time being I would rather that not be let on here, only because we have some people on here that like to "out" people and try to ruin lives over stupid internet postings. I can just imagine Adonis looking me up and trying to get me in trouble over me saying he is obnoxious and arrogant without cause  :P

Sorry, I went back to school too sunshine.  Except I'm studying the field of homeopathic medicine and holistic and natural treatment.  There are too many people getting screwed by the pharm companies and its time we all get back to nature. 

I know that may give you a headache so why don't you go chew on some white willow bark or just take some aspirin.  Honestly, I would have never have pursued a degree in that field but I applaud your decision since at least it shows motivation
A

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2006, 05:54:58 AM »
I think there are many intelligent individuals who post here just for fun.  When a serious topic emerges we sometimes get a glimpse of that intelligence. For some strange reason it is easy to disguise intelligence, but ignorance and dullness shine forth! I haven't met an intelligent person on this forum who isn't amused with the antics of Goodrum. The pompous obliviousness that he radiates lights up the board.

Your degrees didn't help you.... ;D  Delamonte owns your physique
A

LASTREP72

• Getbig III
  • STANZO-20 stayin crisp, tight, and strong!!!
« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2006, 06:26:03 AM »

Sorry, I went back to school too sunshine.  Except I'm studying the field of homeopathic medicine and holistic and natural treatment.  There are too many people getting screwed by the pharm companies and its time we all get back to nature. 

I know that may give you a headache so why don't you go chew on some white willow bark or just take some aspirin.  Honestly, I would have never have pursued a degree in that field but I applaud your decision since at least it shows motivation
I guess that's why you still have bitch-tits, you are using your "natural medicine" and hope they just go away on there own ???
I'm Rick James BITCH!!!

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2006, 06:59:57 AM »
I guess that's why you still have bitch-tits, you are using your "natural medicine" and hope they just go away on there own ???

the surgery is taking care of that next year.   ;D
A

dorkeroo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2006, 04:19:46 PM »
Thanks Rob, Alex23 and UKpipes for the well wishes I appreciate them very much.

UKpipes, my undergraduate degree was in biomedical biology, mostly anatomy and physiology. It really helped out for the MCAT too which was nice. Good luck with your M.Sc. and I hope you have as interesting a time as I did in graduate school. There were some days that I felt finishing was more trouble than it was worth, however, I can see now that it was worth it. If you have any bad days, keep your chin up as things will improve.

Vince, good luck with your schooling. By the way just a personal note, if you want to talk down to someone, do it with someone that is actually beneath you, like maybe some blind fool that comes to you for nutritional advice.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2006, 05:09:22 PM »
The one inescapable fact about Goodrum is that he fears no man either intellectually or physically. The result is plain for everyone to see. Monumental reverse ownings of himself!

The photo Vince G CSN MFT posted of me is one taken when I was doing a two-hand pinch grip with 140Kg or 308 pounds. I might just have to do some consistent training to get into shape if for no other reason that to show what an older person can do naturally.

I know that Dr Chimpi is highly educated (PhD?) and so are plenty of other blokes here at Getbig. Lots of people dismiss this site as populated by dopes but there are many educated people here. Goodrum just isn't one of them. Yet, he insists of exposing his lack of sense by promoting himself instead of letting other tongues praise him!

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2006, 07:48:25 PM »

Dorkeroo,
I too, must echo the resounding congratulatory accolades.
And pay no mind to MELVIN.
The toughest 4 years of his life was kindergarten.