Author Topic: TO ALL IFBB PRO'S RE: CONTRACTS  (Read 8719 times)

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
TO ALL IFBB PRO'S RE: CONTRACTS
« on: December 06, 2006, 06:16:06 PM »
Open letter to all IFBB pro's regarding signing/renewing contracts:

As many of you have contract deadlines that are coming before the new year, it has been brought to my attention by numerous pro's, that the language in the contract regarding "notice of signing/ not re-signing the athlete" refelects ONLY re-signing.

This language is specifically set up to benefit the company (surprise, surprise...) and not the athlete.

By not having to give advanced notice of NOT re-signing you, they can (and often do) simply string you along until the 11th hour when your negotiating power is zero, and you have wasted valuable time that could have been used to seek out new opportunities.

I suggest the following:

After reviewing the contract, find the article that SPECIFICALLY deals with renewal of your contract...most likely, it has a provision for the company to give you advanced notice (30 days) in th event they decide to RENEW your contract.

What you need to do is change it to reflect a 60-90 day written notice, in the event they are NOT going to re-sign you...this way you have ample time to get word out to prospective companies that you are available.

Any legitimate company should have no problem with this clause, as it in no way affects them...but very much puts you the athlete at a huge disadvantage.

If anyone should have additional questions in regards to contracts, etc...please don't hesitate to contact me at: ifbbprorep@aol.com

Bob Cicherillo
IFBB Pro Rep
IFBB Pro

thisiskeith12

Re: TO ALL IFBB PRO'S RE: CONTRACTS
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 06:18:40 PM »
Good move Bob!

nycbull

• Getbig V
  • Team Jay Should Have Won
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 06:21:54 PM »
do you mean resign or re-sign?

Livewire

• Getbig IV
  • I call Nasser.
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 06:25:23 PM »
I had to make a choice - pro card or cup of coffee.

Obviously I went with the pro card.  With a cup of coffee, I can only get burned once.
Nasser called Palumbo an acromegalion

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 06:25:33 PM »
do you mean resign or re-sign?

Re-sign...as in sign again.

I hyphenated two and forgot  two...fixed it...thanks

rjp

• Getbig II
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2006, 06:38:53 PM »
Good advice but what kind of union communicates with its members via a message board??? Can't you guys spring for your own website, a mass emailing or something slightly more professional? Just seems a bit cheesy.

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006, 06:41:57 PM »
First off, there is no "union"...

I put it on here because I know many of the pro'sread these boards daily, If not, someone they know does and can relay the message.

I'm putting together a site for just such info as we speak....

For now, this is as good a place as any to get the job done and get info to pro's around the world..

rjp

• Getbig II
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2006, 06:47:35 PM »
Point taken on the "union". I guess technically there isn't. Still seems odd. I'd think the athlete's rep would have a listing of email addresses to communicate this sort of stuff but what do I know? It's good you're putting together a site though.

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2006, 07:02:18 PM »
Still seems odd. I'd think the athlete's rep would have a listing of email addresses to communicate this sort of stuff but what do I know? It's good you're putting together a site though.

What do you think the chances are of all the pros worldwide properly notifying Bob when their email changes?  He's simply using the method that is likely to be the most effective in getting information out.
Ron: "I am lazy."

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2006, 07:23:41 PM »
What prompted this Bob?  Did someone/is someone getting fucked over by a certain company??  I have a feeling I know exactly who called you and told you about this!

Who is the company you are specifically talking about?  Come on.....spill the beans you have no contractual obligations to that company!

Nobody is getting "fucked over"...it's called business.

There is no need to mention any specific company as this applies to EVERY company and EVERY athlete that signs a contract.

It's simple...companies are looking out for THEIR best interest, I'm looking out for the athletes best interest.

That being said, I've been in this very position with GNC a few years ago where my contract was coming up, and I couldn't get a square answer until the last minute...as It turned out, they did indeed renew my contract...But if they had decided NOT to...I would have had 1 check coming my way...

On the renewal, I had them change the language so that I had 60 days notice if they were NOT going to renew my contract.

Bottom line is, the onus has to be on the athlete to be smart enough to look the contract over, and know that this could be an issue...

Now they know...

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2006, 07:38:49 PM »
I would like to take back what I have said a couple of days ago and officially apologize to you Bob.

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2006, 07:56:27 PM »
Not a problem.

Snotroot

• Getbig II
  • Burn bitches !!
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2006, 08:02:03 PM »
Kinda how Lee got screwed by MD?

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2006, 08:03:42 PM »
Lee's situation has nothing to do with this topic...

Please use any of the 50 or so, other threads which do involve his situation....

thanks

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2006, 11:54:51 PM »
Point taken on the "union". I guess technically there isn't. Still seems odd. I'd think the athlete's rep would have a listing of email addresses to communicate this sort of stuff but what do I know? It's good you're putting together a site though.
Give Bobby a break... bodybuilders change addresses, phone numbers and email addresses practically weekly as they hustle their way around the place...

SDMF

• Getbig II
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2006, 06:57:51 AM »
I often do not agree with Bob, but I think he is doing something good here...I would hate to be a pro with a nice lucrative contract then out of the blue have it pulled from under me...they shopuld give notice of not re-signing, it's most of these guy's income

Special Ed

• Toms
  • Getbig V
  • Special Ed Forever!
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2006, 10:59:32 AM »
Bob,

Good idea on the suggestion. 

Here's another one: How about asking all sponsored athletes to fax you copies of their contracts so you can compile a database of salaries and make it available to any athlete wishing to utilize this information in their own negotations, much like the NFL Players Association and other professional sports do.

Knowledge is Power.

A Successful Negotiation = Information x Leverage

Special "Where's Jimmy Hoffa?" Ed
BigNationRadio.com

Don Miracle

• Getbig II
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2006, 01:11:37 PM »
It'll allow many good people to bypass some serious stress.  Way to go, really.

NJ_Slinky

• Getbig III
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2006, 03:09:17 PM »
Amazing, none of these Pro's have attorneys PAID to negotiate in HIS/HER best interest? 

This makes sense now.  They read message boards, gym locker room urinal dividers, cycles scribed on diner napkins instead of third, fourth, fifth opinions from qualified doctors so why should they think to hire a professional to read/negotiate/clarify/amend/etc.. their contracts.  Who needs sound advice to health and legal issues ::)  Weider is quite savvy, drug up his bitches and pimp them on the cheap. 

just................laug hable.

NJ_Slinky

• Getbig III
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2006, 03:16:35 PM »
Any legitimate company should have no problem with this clause, as it in no way affects them...but very much puts you the athlete at a huge disadvantage

LOL!!!  Of course this effects any legitimate company as it takes away from their negotiating power!  Why should they give the bodybuilder anything, not in their best interest as they can lock in a better prospect with only a 30 day double premium.  No way the industry is this bootleg, lol, it can't.

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2006, 03:26:40 PM »
LOL!!!  Of course this effects any legitimate company as it takes away from their negotiating power!  Why should they give the bodybuilder anything, not in their best interest as they can lock in a better prospect with only a 30 day double premium.  No way the industry is this bootleg, lol, it can't.
that's what I was thinking too...

business is business. if people don't ask to be treated fairly (in writing) then they won't be plain and simple...

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2006, 05:53:39 PM »

Well, thank YOU Capt. Obvious...you mean like I wrote in the first post?

« on: December 06, 2006, 06:16:06 PM » Quote Modify Remove 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As many of you have contract deadlines that are coming before the new year, it has been brought to my attention by numerous pro's, that the language in the contract regarding "notice of signing/ not re-signing the athlete" refelects ONLY re-signing.

This language is specifically set up to benefit the company (surprise, surprise...) and not the athlete.

By not having to give advanced notice of NOT re-signing you, they can (and often do) simply string you along until the 11th hour when your negotiating power is zero, and you have wasted valuable time that could have been used to seek out new opportunities.

mwbbuilder

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2006, 10:26:53 PM »
Chick..

Why can't they negotiate well before the contract is done?

Is that what professional athletes do?

Take the power back. Have a counter ofer from another company.

Why would anyone wait until the contract is over--or even 30 days until it's over?

That's basically the same thing.

They should be negotiating with other companies long  before their contract is done.

NJ_Slinky

• Getbig III
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2006, 06:43:12 AM »
Well, thank YOU Capt. Obvious...you mean like I wrote in the first post?

« on: December 06, 2006, 06:16:06 PM » Quote Modify Remove 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Read it again,

Notice the italicized word thus bringing direct focus to the issue I stressed.  Had pro judges overlooked important details such as yourself, perhaps you could have been Mr. Olympia. 

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2006, 08:33:21 AM »
Chick..

Why can't they negotiate well before the contract is done?

Is that what professional athletes do?

Take the power back. Have a counter ofer from another company.

Why would anyone wait until the contract is over--or even 30 days until it's over?

That's basically the same thing.

They should be negotiating with other companies long  before their contract is done.

They can...problem is getting a straight answer from the company. Often what you get is the run-around, and "we'll get to that next week..., "We'll get to your contract after the next show..." "I'm meeting with the brass next week...should have an answer for you.."

Weeks turn into months, turns into you've got 30 days left...