Author Topic: Let's do some math  (Read 3471 times)

ManBearPig...

• Getbig V
  • Professional Fighter
Let's do some math
« on: December 07, 2006, 06:17:18 PM »
when i was a delusional tiny tit and wanted to play basketball as a kid, i read somewhere that 1 in 2000 high school basketball players make it to the NBA.  Somehow I thought I could beat those odds.

After getting cut at freshman tryouts.....

anyways....how many "amature" bodybuilders are there and how many pros are there?  how many new pro cards are given out every year in relation to how many are vying for that "coveted" card?
Deep Tissue Massage

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
Re: Let's do some math
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 06:18:54 PM »
"coveted"

HAHAHAHAHA!

About as coveted as getting cancer.........
HAHA, RON.....

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 06:31:17 PM »
if you really want to make it interesting, find out how many pros actually make a living from it. think about all of the guys that go pro and then disappear or never place high enough to win prize money.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2006, 06:42:27 PM »
when i was a delusional tiny tit and wanted to play basketball as a kid, i read somewhere that 1 in 2000 high school basketball players make it to the NBA.  Somehow I thought I could beat those odds.

anyways....how many "amature" bodybuilders are there and how many pros are there?  how many new pro cards are given out every year in relation to how many are vying for that "coveted" card?

Didn't Jordan get cut from his high school team? and the coach said he'd never make it?

theworm

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2006, 07:31:58 PM »

yup, there are 17,000 public high schools in the US. If each one has a 12 member B-ball team, thats 204,000 players.  total NBA spots, around 300, leaving 0.1% chance of getting drafted.  I was good in HS, but I did not like them odds.  so i dorked it up, went to college, then became a MD, and I will be getting a NBA sallary for 20+ years with great job security.  all them fools I played with (who thought they were going pro) are now workin at burger king. 
you are gay.

Alex Velickovic

• Getbig II
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2006, 07:34:21 PM »

That's an interesting question.

1991rs

• Getbig II
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2006, 07:40:36 PM »
McGwire didn't get on varsity until his senior year and didn't really play.

until he found a bottle of ??? in his locker

Jujoshu

• Getbig III
  • Front Row Tickets
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2006, 07:54:51 PM »
i read somewhere that 1 in 2000 high school basketball players make it to the NBA.

The odds of a high school player making it to the NBA are more like 3 in 10,000 according to the NCAA.
The odds of making it as a pro bodybuilder might be comparable when you adjust for how many people participate in bodybuilding etc.

Btw, Mark McGwire hit 49 homeruns as a rookie even when he was skinny.

ManBearPig...

• Getbig V
  • Professional Fighter
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2006, 09:01:34 PM »
The odds of a high school player making it to the NBA are more like 3 in 10,000 according to the NCAA.
The odds of making it as a pro bodybuilder might be comparable when you adjust for how many people participate in bodybuilding etc.

Btw, Mark McGwire hit 49 homeruns as a rookie even when he was skinny.

well, i'm guessing there's much less than 10,000 bodybuilders trying to turn pro every year, and they give out more than 3 cards a year right?
Deep Tissue Massage

Rich Gainihger

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2006, 09:03:59 PM »
bodybuilding is a stepping stone into male prostitution, that's why i'm such a big fan.

Adam Empire

• Getbig IV
  • Gobias Industries
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2006, 10:13:56 PM »
bodybuilding is a stepping stone into male prostitution, that's why i'm such a big fan.

Who is this Galager?
Motherboy (the band).

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2006, 10:37:11 PM »

That's one way to look at it......... :-\
HAHA, RON.....

Alex23

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2006, 10:48:01 PM »
Roughly 20 NPC shows NQ yearly, 4 classes, and average of 8 guys per classes, 4 pro card shows, 2 allocated if you win your class.

so for a heavyweight that faces 8 other guys local, times 30 other guys at the national in his class, times all the other 5 classes:

8x30x5 = 1200 ->  1 out of 1200... not too bad.

This is without the dellusion factor of course

Alex23

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2006, 10:49:06 PM »

So Jimmy, you're saying that your main interest for posting on a bb board is to interact and/or get into the male prostitution world?

Dorian01

• Getbig IV
  • Coach loves the sticky studs
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2006, 10:49:49 PM »
There are some people turning IFBB pro in Europe and other parts of the world too, right?

Alex23

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2006, 10:53:35 PM »
There are some people turning IFBB pro in Europe and other parts of the world too, right?

True Dorian01. BB being an international sport, it's a case by case probability.... It's much easier to get your pro card in canada or australia.. doesn't make you a better pro thought :)

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2006, 12:26:20 AM »
True Dorian01. BB being an international sport, it's a case by case probability.... It's much easier to get your pro card in canada or australia.. doesn't make you a better pro thought :)

It is?

Alex23

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2006, 12:47:29 AM »
It is?

Check the JD Roy thread... shouldn't be a problem for him Figo 8)

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2006, 02:13:42 AM »
Check the JD Roy thread... shouldn't be a problem for him Figo 8)

You're referring to higher level of competition(more good competitors), which I understand, but countries like Australia, South Africa(thewhole of Africa), a lot of European countries(not sure about England), winning your national champs doesnt get you a pro card, you "merely" get a chance to represent your nation at the World Champs where you can earn your pro card via winning your division I dont think the European Champs earns a pro card neither...?

Priest won mr Australia several times(overall)before his federation applied for pro status to the IFBB, which they approved.
Theres guys that have won the Mr South Africa several times, and they're always gonna be amateurs, because they stand a snowball's-chances-on-the-back-of-a-pig-flying-through-hell to win the World Champs.

In the States, you can do it via winning your div in Nats, overall at USA's, North Americans, getting selected for the World Champs team(cant remb what its called), or you could pull a Vic Richards, check out your ancestry,  go back to your "homeland" Nigeria, easily beat everyone in the national show, which you outweigh by at least 100lbs, and apply for a pro card, which was ready and signed, approved, stamped....

RJB

• Getbig II
  • Everyone on the internets is rich.
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2006, 08:14:06 AM »
Didn't Jordan get cut from his high school team? and the coach said he'd never make it?

Do your homework. People say that all the time and it's BS. He played JV as a freshman instead of being able to play varsity - he was hardly cut.
Ronnie looked like doodoo

Monster_Everything

• Getbig IV
  • WOW, he REALLY just said that? (looks at camera)
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2006, 08:17:35 AM »
Try being a good soccer player in America with hopes of going pro....

#1 everyone in the world plays soccer
#2 the domestic competetion is never as deep as it could be because of a lack of interest/conflict with other 'american' sports.

growing up i did actually play against a future Pro Soccer player ala the goalie for Man U (last name Howard) from NJ.
The Number 2 in Scranton

Jujoshu

• Getbig III
  • Front Row Tickets
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2006, 08:34:26 AM »
well, i'm guessing there's much less than 10,000 bodybuilders trying to turn pro every year, and they give out more than 3 cards a year right?

Yes, but if we are talking about the chances of turning pro I still believe the percentage to be comparable. I think Dorian Yates said maybe 1 out of every 10,000 people have the genetics to turn pro and maybe 1 out of every 100,000 have the genetics and work ethic. Just his opinion of course. You have to look at a sampling of the whole amateur bodybuilding population-not just the ones competing for pro cards at any given time. What are the chances of any one of them being able to turn pro? Not good.

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2006, 09:52:20 AM »
Try being a good soccer player in America with hopes of going pro....

#1 everyone in the world plays soccer
#2 the domestic competetion is never as deep as it could be because of a lack of interest/conflict with other 'american' sports.

growing up i did actually play against a future Pro Soccer player ala the goalie for Man U (last name Howard) from NJ.

Did you nutmeg him?

doison

• Getbig IV
  • Rum Ham
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2006, 09:54:49 AM »
I think the NPC claims that 20,000 people compete in the NPC each year.  Now, how many of them are figure depends....but, there are many guys out there wasting their time. 
Y

lilwoday09smb

• Getbig III
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2006, 10:06:07 AM »
the new trend is everyone wants to be an ultimate fighter. its amazing how many people joined my and other gyms in the past 2 years. these guys much older than me quit there jobs and ried to fight well. all of the ones i know personally have failed terrible. they train for 6 months get in the ring and get destroyed. not to mention unless ur a top ranked fighter its a dumb carrer path. i train for fun and to stay in shape. ill fight eventually but not planning on making it my carrer just want to get into the ring a few times