Author Topic: JOHN GRIMEK  (Read 32624 times)

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
JOHN GRIMEK
« on: December 08, 2006, 08:36:24 AM »
Anybody know how he used to train? Apparently he was one of the biggest and strongest men alive before steroids where ever invented. He would do curls with 190 pound barbells!

Here is more information on his power:

"He also represented America at the 1938 World Weightlifting Championships in Vienna, this time he placed 4th. Officially in strict style, John pressed 285 lbs. In competition, He could, however in loose style, press over 300 lbs, and once settled, pressed with lots of back bend, 364 lbs. Further demonstrations of his lifting power, was his ability to jerk form the shoulders, 400 lbs. dead lift without any warm up, 600 lbs and bent press (note: that's bent not bench) near 300 lbs, i.e. side lift over head with one hand 300 lbs. John could curl poundages in excess of 200 lbs when that weight was considered a good poundage. Never an advocate of bench presses, or big pecs, despite lack of practice, John could bench press around 480 lbs after a warm up. But he maintained that heavy pec development was unsightly especially in an older man and even hindered the full expansion of the chest." -http://www.robertuniverse.com/davidgentle/grimekgentle.htm

Anyone has any cool information or stories please feel free to share!
just push some weight!

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
Re: JOHN GRIMEK
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 08:42:30 AM »
Grimek was a beast, he would put any pro today to shame with his training, you basically just answered your own question with your post, he trained like the article explained, very heavy with a mixture of Olympic lifts, powerlifts and some bodybuilding stuff thrown in.

nycbull

• Getbig V
  • Team Jay Should Have Won
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 08:47:01 AM »
One of my all time favorites. Amazing built. Clarence Ross too. Great physiques for the average guy to shoot.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 08:47:39 AM »
One of my all time favorites. Amazing built. Clarence Ross too. Great physiques for the average guy to shoot.
absolutely, i'd be more than happy being built like that.

Monster_Everything

• Getbig IV
  • WOW, he REALLY just said that? (looks at camera)
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2006, 08:48:22 AM »
if he was on the same 'cocktail' the pros are on today, he would surely make jay cutler look like well....jay cutler hahahahha

Monster Worst Mr. O of all time Comparison
The Number 2 in Scranton

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2006, 08:50:35 AM »
Grimek was a beast, he would put any pro today to shame with his training, you basically just answered your own question with your post, he trained like the article explained, very heavy with a mixture of Olympic lifts, powerlifts and some bodybuilding stuff thrown in.

He performed those lifts three times a week? Training everyday?

I know he trained with Reeves for a while. http://www.aafla.org/SportsLibrary/IGH/IGH0504/IGH0504u.pdf
just push some weight!

GreatFinn

• Getbig III
  • Havuja, perkele!?!
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2006, 08:53:12 AM »
Anybody know how he used to train? Apparently he was one of the biggest and strongest men alive before steroids where ever invented. He would do curls with 190 pound barbells!

Have you ANY idea when steroids was invented? Before WW2, in 1930- something...and day after that first atheletes were there to test that stuff.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2006, 08:53:26 AM »
He performed those lifts three times a week? Training everyday?

I know he trained with Reeves for a while. http://www.aafla.org/SportsLibrary/IGH/IGH0504/IGH0504u.pdf
not only that but those guys had to perform the Olympic lifts onstage at bodybuilding shows in those days, bb'ers today would die if they had tro do that.

nycbull

• Getbig V
  • Team Jay Should Have Won
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2006, 08:55:19 AM »
absolutely, i'd be more than happy being built like that.

me too, especially Clancy, those guys were real men too, they didn't loose themselves to any of the crap, they both had families and respectful lives outside of the gym.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2006, 08:56:01 AM »
gayest picture in a long time

Z

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2006, 08:57:03 AM »
"hey john i've got an idea, why dont you strip down to your briefs and then hit poses in the snow!"

little did he know that squadfather and the other fruits would admire that photo decades later

Z

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2006, 08:58:14 AM »
as for his training just google john grimek+training or whatever and im sure you find info
Z

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2006, 08:58:44 AM »
"hey john i've got an idea, why dont you strip down to your briefs and then hit poses in the snow!"

little did he know that squadfather and the other fruits would admire that photo decades later

hahahaha, ok "bluto" you're just angry that he's not covered in baby oil and wearing a g string like todays "bodybuilders".

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2006, 09:00:31 AM »
hahahaha, ok "bluto" you're just angry that he's not covered in baby oil and wearing a g string like todays "bodybuilders".

todays bodybuilders are not as hardcore, they dont go half naked out in the snow posing
Z

IceCold

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2006, 09:00:53 AM »
Have you ANY idea when steroids was invented? Before WW2, in 1930- something...and day after that first atheletes were there to test that stuff.

whose to say if these guys used anything or not.

like everything thinks guys like reeves, etc. were natural.  

funny, how most natural guys dont look like that now despite advances in supps, food, training, etc.
R.I.P. DIMEBAG DARRELL ABBOTT (1966-2004)

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2006, 09:05:13 AM »
whose to say if these guys used anything or not.

like everything thinks guys like reeves, etc. were natural.  

funny, how most natural guys dont look like that now despite advances in supps, food, training, etc.

Two words. Hard work!
just push some weight!

SteelePegasus

• Getbig V
  • Life, death, in between is getbig.com
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2006, 09:05:19 AM »
Hey Alexxx, did you start your cycle yet?

you seem to be frustrated with your progress and indications are you are heading to the darkside. Finishing next to last in a online cyber contest is no reason to give up hope.

keep eating and lifting young man
Here comes the money shot

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2006, 09:07:14 AM »
alex dont need steroids. he just need to be patient and keep doing what he's doing
Z

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2006, 09:09:29 AM »
from bodybuilding.com on how he trained biceps:

"John would pick 8-12 biceps movements for each workout, and then do only one or two sets of each exercise. Many of his favorite biceps movements were actually indirect arm exercises, movements like chins performed with a narrow reverse grip.""
Z

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2006, 09:13:39 AM »
I think 1) those poundages are greatly exaggerated or 2) those were dummy weights (ie. fake weights) there's no f**king way a guy in those times (let alone now) could lift up 300lbs. over his head with one arm...

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2006, 09:42:32 AM »
I do his deadlift with no warmup easily.

Strong dude nonetheless.

And yes Alexxx,

I have his training routine. 

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2006, 09:43:53 AM »
I do his deadlift with no warmup easily.

Strong dude nonetheless.

And yes Alexxx,

I have his training routine. 

Who gives a shit about what you have?
just push some weight!

Heywood

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2006, 09:56:06 AM »
I think 1) those poundages are greatly exaggerated or 2) those were dummy weights (ie. fake weights) there's no f**king way a guy in those times (let alone now) could lift up 300lbs. over his head with one arm...

What Grimek did or did not do is a matter of historical record.  For the most part, today's guys couldn't carry his jockstrap.

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2006, 01:26:02 PM »
anabolic steroids were first mentioned in Strength and Health magazine in 1938.   Grimek worked for Hoffman and Strength and Health.   Grimek's physique in 1939 and 1940 was like no one elses.   It is certainly possible that the first Mr America was also the first to do it with steroids.

If you want to read more about Grimek, get the book Muscletown USA: Bob Hoffman and the Manly Culture of York Barbell

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2006, 01:44:09 PM »
Grimek was ruggedness incarnate.
The House that Ruth built