Author Topic: Forget Vitamins?  (Read 5767 times)

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
Forget Vitamins?
« on: December 10, 2006, 07:03:44 PM »
This works well...
:

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
Re: Forget Vitamins?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 07:50:15 AM »
Or, another thing is to use word gimmicks.  For example, in the morning before work, I remember "G FACE'M" (gee, face them)

G- GREEN TEA
F- FISH OIL
A- ACIDOPHILUS
C- VITAMIN C
E- VITAMIN E
M- MULTIPLE/MINERALS

xpac2

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 07:54:43 AM »
This works well...

Yah taking that many pills is healthy  ::)

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006, 12:43:11 PM »
Yah taking that many pills is healthy  ::)

Yes it does help remind you to take your vitamins.  Been doing this for years.  And yes, taking this many pills, vitamins, minerals, herbs, etc. is great preventive medicine.  It is a lot cheaper then getting sick and spending money on doctors, hospitals and prescription medicines.

xpac2

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2006, 12:50:26 PM »
Yes it does help remind you to take your vitamins.  Been doing this for years.  And yes, taking this many pills, vitamins, minerals, herbs, etc. is great preventive medicine.  It is a lot cheaper then getting sick and spending money on doctors, hospitals and prescription medicines.

Snake oil.... all of it.

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2006, 12:52:08 PM »
Snake oil.... all of it.

Another member of the "Flat Earth Society" emerges . . .

Bast000

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Team Malk-Gallon
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2006, 02:20:11 PM »
i never noticed anything from taking vitamins so i stopped.

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2006, 02:52:45 PM »
i never noticed anything from taking vitamins so i stopped.

So you reject science merely because you cannot witness first hand physiological reactions that happen on a molecular level? Again, "Flat Earth" (i.e., I can't physically observe that the planet is round, therefore the Earth is flat).

xpac2

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2006, 03:01:48 PM »
So you reject science merely because you cannot witness first hand physiological reactions that happen on a molecular level? Again, "Flat Earth" (i.e., I can't physically observe that the planet is round, therefore the Earth is flat).

The vitamin industry is just as big a scam as the pharmaceutical industry

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2006, 03:11:20 PM »
The vitamin industry is just as big a scam as the pharmaceutical industry

Your rhetoric in no way resembles compelling argument.

Bast000

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Team Malk-Gallon
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2006, 09:18:59 PM »

science never came to the conclusion that vitamins help in bodydbuilding, just general health.    Only bullshit companies that don't do any research suggest that vitamins will significantly help you gain muscle.  Plus if you eat a variety of food you're getting enough.  why pay for something that doesn't give tangible benefits ?

Dr. D

• Getbig III
  • Vince and Derek: Match made in GetBig Heaven!
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2006, 09:31:32 PM »
98% of the vitamins on the maket are synthetic garbage and offer no health benefits. Multi's are useless!!!!!

xpac2

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2006, 06:19:05 AM »
science never came to the conclusion that vitamins help in bodydbuilding, just general health.    Only bullshit companies that don't do any research suggest that vitamins will significantly help you gain muscle.  Plus if you eat a variety of food you're getting enough.  why pay for something that doesn't give tangible benefits ?

Several studies have also shown that multi's provide little to no benefit for general health as well. Also too much vitamins have been shown to cause damage, even a surplus of anti-oxidants actually become pro-oxident.
Once again nothing beats what nature provides!

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2006, 07:40:23 AM »
Several studies have also shown that multi's provide little to no benefit for general health as well. Also too much vitamins have been shown to cause damage, even a surplus of anti-oxidants actually become pro-oxident.
Once again nothing beats what nature provides!

I believe you condemned as "snake oil" as you put it "all of it" which in the context of Loco's post means herbs, minerals, vitamins, etc.  Above you are referring to "multi's" and then you seem to limit your position even further ("too much [sic] vitamins"). 

It seems like the Flat Earth Society can't even agree on what planet they're referring to, much less the shape of it.

xpac2

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2006, 07:48:32 AM »
I believe you condemned as "snake oil" as you put it "all of it" which in the context of Loco's post means herbs, minerals, vitamins, etc.  Above you are referring to "multi's" and then you seem to limit your position even further ("too much [sic] vitamins"). 

It seems like the Flat Earth Society can't even agree on what planet they're referring to, much less the shape of it.

They are snake oil. I stand by my statement. Any Vitamins/herbs that you get in pill form are a waste and potentially harmful

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2006, 07:49:19 AM »
science never came to the conclusion that vitamins help in bodydbuilding, just general health.    Only bullshit companies that don't do any research suggest that vitamins will significantly help you gain muscle.  Plus if you eat a variety of food you're getting enough.  why pay for something that doesn't give tangible benefits ?

Look at Loco's post again.  I believe he said "preventative medicine" not "gain muscle."   Do you take pleasure in fighting Straw Men or do you wish to attempt to defend the original point?

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2006, 07:50:57 AM »
They are snake oil. I stand by my statement. Any Vitamins/herbs that you get in pill form are a waste and potentially harmful

When I finally read something that resembles a coherent argument, I will be happy to reply.

xpac2

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2006, 07:51:54 AM »
When I finally read something that resembles a coherent argument, I will be happy to reply.

Get your head out off your ass, you can't hear an argument from there.

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2006, 07:53:38 AM »
Get your head out off your ass, you can't hear an argument from there.

See Exhibit A above.

Dr. D

• Getbig III
  • Vince and Derek: Match made in GetBig Heaven!
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2006, 09:53:18 AM »
" The real truth about vitamins and anti-oxidants" by Judith DeCarva

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2006, 12:42:55 PM »
How to Live Longer And Feel Better
by Linus Pauling (1901-1994),
was an American quantum chemist and biochemist and the only person to win two unshared Nobel prizes
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/customer-reviews/0870710966/ref=cm_rev_next/002-3864928-0956001?ie=UTF8&customer-reviews.sort%5Fby=%2BOverallRating&n=283155&s=books&customer-reviews.start=11

Linus Pauling was first introduced to the concept of high-dose vitamin C by biochemist Irwin Stone in 1966 and began taking several grams every day to prevent colds. Excited by the results, he researched the clinical literature and published "Vitamin C and the Common Cold" in 1970. He began a long clinical collaboration with the British cancer surgeon, Ewan Cameron, [11] in 1971 on the use of intravenous and oral vitamin C as cancer therapy for terminal patients. Cameron and Pauling wrote many technical papers and a popular book, "Cancer and Vitamin C", that discussed their observations. After three disputed trials at the Mayo Clinic, Pauling, known for his blunt precision and candor[12], pointedly denounced Moertel's conclusions and handling of the final study as "fraud and deliberate misrepresentation" [13], Pauling published critiques of the second Mayo-Moertel cancer trial's flaws over several years as he was able to slowly unearth some of the trial's undisclosed details.[14] However, the wave of adverse publicity generated by Moertel and the media effectively undercut Pauling's credibility and his vitamin C work for a generation.[15] Always precariously perched since his molecular biologically inspired crusade to stop atmospheric nuclear testing in the 1950s[16], the 1985 Mayo-Moertel confrontation left Pauling isolated from his institutional funding sources, academic support and a bemused public. He later collaborated with the Canadian physician, Abram Hoffer, [17] on a micronutrient regimen, including high-dose vitamin C, as adjunctive cancer therapy.

As of 2005, some physicians have called for a more careful reassessment of vitamin C[18], especially intravenous vitamin C, in cancer treatment. The selective toxicity of vitamin C for cancer cells has been demonstrated repeatedly[19], [20]. The Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences [21] recently published a paper demonstrating vitamin C killing cancer cells.

Honours
1931 Langmuir Prize, American Chemical Society
1941 Nichols Medal, New York Section, American Chemical Society
1947 Davy Medal, Royal Society
1948 United States Presidential Medal for Merit
1952 Pasteur Medal, Biochemical Society of France
1954 Nobel Prize, Chemistry
1955 Addis Medal, National Nephrosis Foundation
1955 Phillips Memorial Award, American College of Physicians
1956 Avogadro Medal, Italian Academy of Science
1957 Paul Sabatier Medal
1957 Pierre Fermat Medal in Mathematics
1957 International Grotius Medal
1962 Nobel Peace Prize
1965 Order of Merit, Republic of Italy
1965 Medal, Academy of the Rumanian People's Republic
1966 Linus Pauling Medal
1966 Silver Medal, Institute of France
1966 Supreme Peace Sponsor, World Fellowship of Religion
1972 United States National Medal of Science
1972 International Lenin Peace Prize
1978 Lomonosov Medal, USSR Academy of Science
1979 Medal for Chemical Sciences, National Academy of Science
1984 Priestley Medal, American Chemical Society
1984 Award for Chemistry, Arthur M. Sackler Foundation
1987 Award in Chemical Education, American Chemical Society
1989 Vannevar Bush Award, National Science Board
1990 Richard C. Tolman Medal, Southern California, Section, American Chemical Society

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linus_Pauling#Work_in_alternative_medicine

xpac2

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2006, 12:46:57 PM »
How to Live Longer And Feel Better
by Linus Pauling (1901-1994), the only person to win two unshared Nobel prizes
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/customer-reviews/0870710966/ref=cm_rev_next/002-3864928-0956001?ie=UTF8&customer-reviews.sort%5Fby=%2BOverallRating&n=283155&s=books&customer-reviews.start=11

Linus Pauling was first introduced to the concept of high-dose vitamin C by biochemist Irwin Stone in 1966 and began taking several grams every day to prevent colds. Excited by the results, he researched the clinical literature and published "Vitamin C and the Common Cold" in 1970. He began a long clinical collaboration with the British cancer surgeon, Ewan Cameron, [11] in 1971 on the use of intravenous and oral vitamin C as cancer therapy for terminal patients. Cameron and Pauling wrote many technical papers and a popular book, "Cancer and Vitamin C", that discussed their observations. After three disputed trials at the Mayo Clinic, Pauling, known for his blunt precision and candor[12], pointedly denounced Moertel's conclusions and handling of the final study as "fraud and deliberate misrepresentation" [13], Pauling published critiques of the second Mayo-Moertel cancer trial's flaws over several years as he was able to slowly unearth some of the trial's undisclosed details.[14] However, the wave of adverse publicity generated by Moertel and the media effectively undercut Pauling's credibility and his vitamin C work for a generation.[15] Always precariously perched since his molecular biologically inspired crusade to stop atmospheric nuclear testing in the 1950s[16], the 1985 Mayo-Moertel confrontation left Pauling isolated from his institutional funding sources, academic support and a bemused public. He later collaborated with the Canadian physician, Abram Hoffer, [17] on a micronutrient regimen, including high-dose vitamin C, as adjunctive cancer therapy.

As of 2005, some physicians have called for a more careful reassessment of vitamin C[18], especially intravenous vitamin C, in cancer treatment. The selective toxicity of vitamin C for cancer cells has been demonstrated repeatedly[19], [20]. The Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences [21] recently published a paper demonstrating vitamin C killing cancer cells.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linus_Pauling#Work_in_alternative_medicine

That article kept contradicting itself

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2006, 12:49:30 PM »
That article kept contradicting itself

How?

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2006, 01:15:20 PM »
" The real truth about vitamins and anti-oxidants" by Judith DeCarva

Apparently, the author of that book is a fraud:

"DeCava's writings also include The Real Truth About Vitamins and Antioxidants, an anti-immunization book, and a newsletter for professionals who prescribed NutriPlex products. Various biographical sketches have included "CNC, PhD" after her name and described her as: a "nutritional counselor" who served for many years as chief consultant for R. Murray & Associates; a "regular writer" for the Institute of Practical Biochemistry; and executive vice president of the Biomedical Health Foundation. "CNC" stands for Certified Nutritional Consultant, a dubious credential obtainable for $150 plus passage of an open-book examination."

QuackWatch
Your Guide to Quackery, Health Fraud, and Intelligent Decisions
http://www.quackwatch.org/04ConsumerEducation/Nonrecorg/narb.html

xpac2

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2006, 01:18:53 PM »
Apparently, the author of that book is a fraud:

"DeCava's writings also include The Real Truth About Vitamins and Antioxidants, an anti-immunization book, and a newsletter for professionals who prescribed NutriPlex products. Various biographical sketches have included "CNC, PhD" after her name and described her as: a "nutritional counselor" who served for many years as chief consultant for R. Murray & Associates; a "regular writer" for the Institute of Practical Biochemistry; and executive vice president of the Biomedical Health Foundation. "CNC" stands for Certified Nutritional Consultant, a dubious credential obtainable for $150 plus passage of an open-book examination."

QuackWatch
Your Guide to Quackery, Health Fraud, and Intelligent Decisions
http://www.quackwatch.org/04ConsumerEducation/Nonrecorg/narb.html

Cool I get it now