Author Topic: Excommunicated cleric installs married men as bishops  (Read 1431 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Excommunicated cleric installs married men as bishops
« on: December 10, 2006, 10:45:13 PM »
Interesting story.  

Excommunicated cleric installs married men as bishops
POSTED: 10:42 p.m. EST, December 10, 2006

WEST NEW YORK, New Jersey (AP) -- An excommunicated Roman Catholic archbishop continued to defy the Vatican when he installed two married priests as bishops on Sunday.

In front of a sea of reporters and photographers and several dozen congregants, Raymond A. Grosswirth of Rochester, New York, and Dominic Riccio, of the Newark Archdiocese, were installed by Zambian Archbishop Emmanuel Milingo at the Trinity Reformed Church. The ceremony concluded a two-day convention of Milingo's advocacy group, Married Priests Now!

In a visible break from tradition, the wives of both men helped their husbands on with their vestments before each man was anointed.

Milingo, 76, installed four married men as Roman Catholic bishops in September, including Peter Paul Brennan of New York and Patrick Trujillo of Newark. Milingo was later excommunicated by the Vatican, and Pope Benedict XVI followed that decision by convening a summit that reaffirmed mandatory celibacy for clergy.

Members of Milingo's group believe that reinstating priests who are married would help ease a shortage of priests. According to the Center for Applied Research in the Apostolate at Georgetown University, the number of priests has dropped from 58,600 in 1965 to 41,790 this year.

Milingo has called celibacy "outdated" and was married in 2001 to a Korean acupuncturist chosen for him by the Rev. Sun Myung Moon in a mass wedding performed by Moon's Unification Church.

Milingo's ties to Moon, whose doctrines are considered beyond the bounds of traditional Christianity, have caused consternation in Catholic circles. Moon's American Clergy Leadership Conference paid for much of Milingo's conference this weekend.
http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/12/10/archbishop.marriage.ap/index.html

logical?

• Getbig III
Re: Excommunicated cleric installs married men as bishops
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2006, 10:48:34 PM »
Good!

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 06:27:35 AM »
Oh my god!!!!!!!

How can a married man speak about god or expect to go to heaven????????

They sin on a daily basis by betraying the one and only god church by loving their wives!

And imagine they could get divorced!!

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 10:07:42 AM »

Church sucks.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 11:41:35 PM »
Church sucks.

It certainly does if you are a Catholic priest.

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2006, 12:23:51 AM »
It certainly does if you are a Catholic priest.

haha, but then you can't complain much about sucking.

I guess if you're a catholic priest, your grateful for everything that comes around that sucks.  ;D ;D