Author Topic: new site for NEW JERSEY bodybuilders  (Read 13205 times)

VGalanti

• Pros
  • Getbig III
  • COOL
new site for NEW JERSEY bodybuilders
« on: December 12, 2006, 07:49:38 AM »
NJbodybuilding.com

ANIMAL

Rich2

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
Re: new site for NEW JERSEY bodybuilders
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 09:24:33 AM »
slightly off-topic but whatever:

did anyone here work out at the now defunct Sonny's Gym in Jersey City? they closed down suddenly with no warning the other day. sucks.

VGalanti

• Pros
  • Getbig III
  • COOL
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 09:25:56 AM »
slightly off-topic but whatever:

did anyone here work out at the now defunct Sonny's Gym in Jersey City? they closed down suddenly with no warning the other day. sucks.

No shit...I grew up with Sonny, I think he moved to Cali with his wife, and had someone running the gym.

ANIMAL

Rich2

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 09:33:51 AM »
yea, Sam (the guy who managed it) is really cool. i dunno what happened, it was really sudden. i'm really going to miss the lack of air conditioning in the summer. that place got hot as hell!

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2006, 09:35:28 AM »
Joisey!  :D
!

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2006, 09:44:40 AM »
NJbodybuilding.com

Just make sure you kick off all the douchebags from North Jersey who dress like homos with spiked hair a foot off their head.  We already have a bunch of those here.
Squishy face retard

Monster_Everything

• Getbig IV
  • WOW, he REALLY just said that? (looks at camera)
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2006, 10:30:57 AM »
Tell me bout it...nothing i cant stand worst than guidos ...esp the gomba type numbnuts that crowd clubs.....
The Number 2 in Scranton

Blockhead

• Toms
  • Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2006, 11:01:25 AM »

www.npcillinoisbodybuild ing.com

The spot for Illinois bodybuilders!

Joisey sucks! The only thing good to ever come out of that stae was 'Eddie and The Cruisers'.
?

nycbull

• Getbig V
  • Team Jay Should Have Won
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2006, 11:01:41 AM »
ANybody remember the weight lifting store on Bloomfield ave in Montlcair or Bloomfield in the 70's One of the only places to buy weights, York was the only brand I think. Anyone have any history on it. What happened to it?

Monster_Everything

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2006, 11:03:56 AM »
ANybody remember the weight lifting store on Bloomfield ave in Montlcair or Bloomfield in the 70's One of the only places to buy weights, York was the only brand I think. Anyone have any history on it. What happened to it?
i remember it , i walked in there a long long time ago, they had tons of classic posters all over the place...it was like a step back into time ....:. sigh::   oh now i remember, its a Rite Aid now.
The Number 2 in Scranton

nycbull

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2006, 11:06:10 AM »
i remember it , i walked in there a long long time ago, they had tons of classic posters all over the place...it was like a step back into time ....:. sigh::   oh now i remember, its a Rite Aid now.

Really, are you even old enought to remember?

Monster_Everything

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2006, 11:10:52 AM »
Really, are you even old enought to remember?
it was open at least 7 years ago ..thats when i was there for my first and last time.

i remember it had two floors, the one floor was food and stuff, the other was all equipment
The Number 2 in Scranton

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2006, 11:11:26 AM »
Whoa...you talking about Wonder Health? Where they sold supplements too? They closed about a year ago, but they were on a side street off the Ave in Bloomfield. The owners were bodybuilding/strength guys. Great people.
Gateway Gym was on Bloomfield Ave in Montclair, but I don't think they ever sold weights. Nutty Dandrow was the owner...
!

Rich2

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2006, 11:15:36 AM »
Whoa...you talking about Wonder Health? Where they sold supplements too? They closed about a year ago, but they were on a side street off the Ave in Bloomfield. The owners were bodybuilding/strength guys. Great people.
Gateway Gym was on Bloomfield Ave in Montclair, but I don't think they ever sold weights. Nutty Dandrow was the owner...

wow, i rememeber that. a friend of mine used to own a restaurant in the area and i stumbled upon Wonder Health not far away. that place was like a time portal.

VGalanti

• Pros
  • Getbig III
  • COOL
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2006, 11:19:29 AM »

Dude, remember Dandrow...he was a nut, he hated everything about any USA or Nationals winner, going to the local NJ State shows and yelling out everyone sucked....he was an AAU guy.

I was about 18 at the time, and trained in his gym one day, the aau and npc teen nj were in a few weeks....when he heard i was doing the npc jersey, he freaked out and was screaming at me....

i was just looking at him and laughing...where is he today?
ANIMAL

nycbull

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2006, 11:23:58 AM »

cool, forgot the name, brings back a lot of good memories. I remember being a little kid and one of the guys there seemed like he had the biggest arms in the world. His bis would bounce while he would be ringin up our little 90lb weight set (they did sell weights, but this was back in the 70's, I think they were called Wonder Health and Barbell). Too bad they closed.

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2006, 11:26:04 AM »
Dude, remember Dandrow...he was a nut, he hated everything about any USA or Nationals winner, going to the local NJ State shows and yelling out everyone sucked....he was an AAU guy.

I was about 18 at the time, and trained in his gym one day, the aau and npc teen nj were in a few weeks....when he heard i was doing the npc jersey, he freaked out and was screaming at me....

i was just looking at him and laughing...where is he today?
Jim Dandrow...he was a character for sure. I trained at his gym for awhile when I moved to Jersey from the BX. I just remember him saying Frank Zane wasn't shit, and how he used to try and show off by doing "no-hands" squats with 315. He almost hurt himself bad when the bar slipped off once. I almost died laughing.
Don't know what happened to that guy after Gateway closed. Kinda liked the hardcore atmosphere...like a prison gym downstairs.
!

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2006, 11:27:54 AM »
cool, forgot the name, brings back a lot of good memories. I remember being a little kid and one of the guys there seemed like he had the biggest arms in the world. His bis would bounce while he would be ringin up our little 90lb weight set (they did sell weights, but this was back in the 70's, I think they were called Wonder Health and Barbell). Too bad they closed.
Yes, Wonder Health always sold weights. Right up until they closed, I believe. I liked them because they'd get all the mags before anybody else.
!

VGalanti

• Pros
  • Getbig III
  • COOL
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2006, 11:32:51 AM »
Jim Dandrow...he was a character for sure. I trained at his gym for awhile when I moved to Jersey from the BX. I just remember him saying Frank Zane wasn't shit, and how he used to try and show off by doing "no-hands" squats with 315. He almost hurt himself bad when the bar slipped off once. I almost died laughing.
Don't know what happened to that guy after Gateway closed. Kinda liked the hardcore atmosphere...like a prison gym downstairs.

yeah gotta give props to him for a hardcore gym....
ANIMAL

jmt1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2006, 02:13:14 PM »
wow...i can remember goin to gateway gym on bloomfield ave when i was like 18 or 19....that place was a dump...everytime i went in that owner would be in his lil office sitting back with his feet up...lol...downstairs looked like noone ever cleaned the place....plates and dumbells all over the floor...i did like that hardcore atmophere though.

VGalanti

• Pros
  • Getbig III
  • COOL
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2006, 05:56:20 PM »
wow...i can remember goin to gateway gym on bloomfield ave when i was like 18 or 19....that place was a dump...everytime i went in that owner would be in his lil office sitting back with his feet up...lol...downstairs looked like noone ever cleaned the place....plates and dumbells all over the floor...i did like that hardcore atmophere though.

Yep
ANIMAL

nycbull

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2006, 05:06:03 AM »

wasntGateway  it owned by Rob Dente, a local bodybuilder? Why did it close? Are there any more hardcore gyms in that area anymore?

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2006, 07:18:22 AM »
wasntGateway  it owned by Rob Dente, a local bodybuilder? Why did it close? Are there any more hardcore gyms in that area anymore?
You mean GERARD Dente (owner of MHP)? He's from that area, but he didn't own Gateway.

!

nycbull

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2006, 07:27:34 AM »
You mean GERARD Dente (owner of MHP)? He's from that area, but he didn't own Gateway.

Know Gerard from growing up, nice guy,nice family. Thought his cousin owned, but guess not. Thanks

Bob Bonham

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2006, 09:39:53 AM »
JImmy Dandrow is lifting at some small gym in North Arlington NJ   He drops down to see me once in a while. He is a bit nutty  but a good guy. He use to be NJ NPC chairman and then became AAU chairman.
Someone told me Rob Dente married Ms figure O  N Devina and lives in south jersey. He did own a gym but not Gateway.
Wonder Health closed when Bill and Romeo retired