Author Topic: Bodybuilding more popular in Canada?  (Read 4109 times)

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
Bodybuilding more popular in Canada?
« on: December 14, 2006, 12:13:32 PM »
I was in Canada a few months ago and their equivalent to ESPN is TSN.  They were showing the Arnold classic from last year.  I have never seen a BB contest on ESPN, they show the WSM competition but never BB.  Is bodybuilding more popular in Canada?  I guess mainstream people there enjoy watching these contests or else they wouldn't put it on TV.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
Re: Bodybuilding more popular in Canada?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006, 12:15:35 PM »
No

Rudee

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006, 01:09:58 PM »
I'm from Canada and you rarely if ever see a bodybuilding show on TSN, so what you witnessed was a fluke.

ether

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2006, 01:46:12 PM »
Nope,

It's viewed as a freak show for drug abusing criminals who are into gay for pay up here too.

saucetradomous

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2006, 02:11:59 PM »
yeah that was a fluke they only usually show WSM comps and even that's pretty rare these days... OLN is the best for that though.

I remember back in and around 97/98 TSN did a program where they followed a bodybuilder around during his day.  Going through his nutrition, workouts and day to day life.  It was a long time ago and I wasn't big into the bodybuilding scene back then so I have no idea who it was.  Do  any other Canadians remember this?

Old_Rooster

• Getbig IV
  • SquadFathers mom gave me a BJ
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2006, 02:16:30 PM »
The most popular thing in canada is bitching about the USA politics while sitting on their fucking hands knowing we will protect them.  I wish they would move canada and make it an extension of France.
Benjamin Pearson-Pedo

saucetradomous

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2006, 02:24:49 PM »
The most popular thing in canada is bitching about the USA politics while sitting on their fucking hands knowing we will protect them.  .

Somebody sounds a little jealous

I wish they would move canada and make it an extension of France

And who is "They" sounds like you want to sit on your hands while someone else does the work.  Have you ever even served your country "Oldtimer"?

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2006, 02:32:27 PM »
hahaha, we get billions of your dollars every year for our marijuana, LOLOLOLOL.
is there much of a pingas culture in canada?

warrior_code

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2006, 02:41:34 PM »
we have alex up here!

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2006, 02:42:09 PM »
We have more lax drug laws (way more lax) than the USA and way less drug problems - who would have thought?

Unfortunately, there are pillheads in this country.  Sad.  I think drug use in general is pretty pathetic.  I feel sorry for most users - BUT - it is their body, not that of the state, and especially not (as a Canadian), that of the United States.
dude nothing wrong with half a pill on a sunday afternoon with some cold ones at a bar on sydney harbour trust me...

people who do 6 in one night are idiots though yes...

OneBigMan

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2006, 02:47:57 PM »
The Pro Fitness portion of the 1998 Arnold Classic was shown one time courtesy of ESPN on a weekend in the spring that year. During those years ESPN did have good coverage of the Olympia and the FAP as well. The issue, however, is the fact that Bodybuilding programs were aired very inconsistently and at odd times during the weekend. The same goes for MuscleSport USA when that was on cable TV on weekends.
The only related bodyshaping musclebuilding shows that were aired at times was the whole great line up of espn2 exercise shows on weekday morning work days from 1994-1995 to 1999-2000.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2006, 03:09:38 PM »
Back in the 1980s ESPN in the U.S. used to show the nationals , the Olympia and the World Amateur Championships ( Mr Universe ) the first Arnold Classic was on in 89 , the sport has driven a lot of people away.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2006, 03:16:05 PM »
Wasn't it always a niche industry?  I would say we don't have good enough promotion if anything.  Wayne Demilia, like him or hate him, is an incredible promoter.

It was always a niche industry but at one time it was a LOT more popular than today , the crowds at the Olympia haven't really changed in 20 years , Haney was posing to 6K people and Ronnie was too .  ???

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2006, 03:51:06 PM »
we have alex up here!

and the hulkster too! :D
Flower Boy Ran Away

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2006, 03:52:34 PM »
Well...if smaller bodybuilders are the answer, look no further than other bodybuilding organizations or natural shows.  To me it's obvious that the problem (if there is one) is marketing.

Its not so much smaller thats the issue , Haney was 250 pounds ! and other bodybuilding organizations and natural shows aren't the answer , as good as those guys are they're not the genetic elite that compete in the IFBB

And marketing is a very hard sell , the sport is tainted with drugs , steroids is a very bad word in this day and age , couple with the physiques are simply not aesthetically pleasing to the general public .

G.STEELE

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2006, 03:54:25 PM »
The most popular thing in canada is bitching about the USA politics while sitting on their fucking hands knowing we will protect them.  I wish they would move canada and make it an extension of France.
Don't get the rest of the country confused with Quebec.

Iceman1981

• Getbig V
  • www.LegendsOfBodybuilding.com
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2006, 04:05:55 PM »
I'm from Canada and you rarely if ever see a bodybuilding show on TSN, so what you witnessed was a fluke.

same here

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2006, 04:15:08 PM »
Is the USA as bad as I think it is?

Don't laugh too hard, that's a real hoser Stephen Harper the new Prime Minister. ;)

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2006, 05:21:07 PM »
Sure Haney was 250 pounds.  Are you suggesting the genetic pool has changed in the past 15 years or so?  Pros develop as they do.  If another pro had the genetics to look like Haney, he would.  There is no less talent now than there used to be in my opinion.  As for marketing, has bodybuilding ever been anything more than "a sport for fags and fools" in its history?

The genetic pool hasn't changed I think with an increased popularity more genetically gifted people would emerge , and the drugs have changed the physiques and NOT for the better , I think back in the older days guy may have had a strong base before they started doing steroids and now they're talking them right off the bat , its been said according to the responsible drug users that you shouldn't touch any gear until you've reached your natural limit and another factor is there are a LOT more contests now then back then so guys have to stay on for longer and longer periods of time and that hurts the physiques as well.

And as far as marketing bodybuilding was realitively big in the 1980s like I said the Nationals , the Mr Olympia , the World Amateur Championships , Arnold classic were all on ESPN , that bodybuilding show with Shawn Ray and Boyer Coe , and this was well before the internet which helps keep the sport alive and well so to speak , hell Muscle & Fitness magazine sales were like 6 millions readers world wide , maybe more but the internet has hurt magazine sales for everyone , but I think if the Weider's did manage to get bodybuilding into the Olympics which was Ben Weider's dream the sport would have grown by leaps & bounds.

logical?

• Getbig III
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2006, 05:24:06 PM »
The genetic pool hasn't changed I think with an increased popularity more genetically gifted people would emerge ,

Fair point. Matt's right, the gene pool hasn't changed. However, with drastically lower popularity, the sample size has decreased, such that the overall number of bodybuilders is much less than it previously was. This means that the total number of genetically gifted competitors has decreased, as has those with average genetics in proportion. However, the number turning pro has stayed the same increased. So, we're seeing more genetically average pros, because only a few genetically gifted ones are taking up bodybuilding and turning pro.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2006, 05:46:07 PM »

Fair point. Matt's right, the gene pool hasn't changed. However, with drastically lower popularity, the sample size has decreased, such that the overall number of bodybuilders is much less than it previously was.

How does one gauge popularity vis-a-vis previous years?

Delusional Liberal

• Getbig III
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2006, 01:17:35 AM »
Quote from: Matt C link=topic=112844.msg1630091#msg1630091

The DEA is trying to extradite Canada's prince of pot:

http://www.cannabisculture.com/articles/4639.html

PLEASE, keep your archaic bullshit THE FUCK out of my country!
maybe he should have kept his weed seeds in YOUR country.  if he did, he wouldn't be in the situation he is now.  don't do the crime if you cant do the time, at the very least don't be an idiot like this clown.