Author Topic: What happened to these former stars / what is happening to our sport?  (Read 14148 times)

competing

• Getbig II
I have been wondering for a while what happened to the following after their pro careers ended....

Dale Ruplinger (1983 Mr. USA) - "The Man with the Hollow Bones"
Shane DiMora - Youngest NPC Nationals Champion (Middleweight, I believe) ever at 18 years old.
Chuck Williams (NPC Light-Heavyweight Nationals winner the same year as Haney and Charles Glass)
Tonya Knight - She was as popular as any top fitness girl is today
Sue Price - Same thing as Tonya Knight
Phil Hill - Won a few shows then disappeared.

One other thing...I have been following the sport since 1982, and it is incredible to me how short a pro's career lasts today vs. the '70's and '80's. 

When I look at Flex from 1999 or 2000, so few of those top guys are still around (Levrone, Matarazzo, Ray, Wheeler, El Sonbaty, Tom Prince, Don Long).  Even the NPC National winners don't hang around too long.

Is it the amount of drugs, the dieting, the lack of $$$, or some other reason?

jem123

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
Re: What happened to these former stars / what is happening to our sport?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2006, 06:52:06 AM »
In truth the bottom line is that being a world class BB means that you have to live bodybuilding 24 hours a day 365 days a year, take copious amounts of drugs that may well shorten your life, diet down to such extreme bodyfat levels you look like a road map, become a walking zombie the last few weeks before a show and be a moody nightmare to live with. All for usually very little or any financial reward.

This is the reason.

Dballn247

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • That's how I roll.
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2006, 06:56:56 AM »
I have been wondering for a while what happened to the following after their pro careers ended....

Shane DiMora - Youngest NPC Nationals Champion (Middleweight, I believe) ever at 18 years old.
Chuck Williams (NPC Light-Heavyweight Nationals winner the same year as Haney and Charles Glass)

One other thing...I have been following the sport since 1982, and it is incredible to me how short a pro's career lasts today vs. the '70's and '80's. 

When I look at Flex from 1999 or 2000, so few of those top guys are still around (Levrone, Matarazzo, Ray, Wheeler, El Sonbaty, Tom Prince, Don Long).  Even the NPC National winners don't hang around too long.

Phil Hernon?  After the Titus Meltdown, never to be seen again.  Titus put a hit on this guy or something?
\

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2006, 06:58:33 AM »

Usually they use the lucrative sport of pro BBing to pay for school.

Once they finish their Phds, they begin teaching at the University level, get into research, or are hired by high powered consulting firms.  Bodybuilding is fun, but most of these guys are more about stimulating the mind.

delta9mda

• Getbig V
  • Team Pussy Claad/ ya know I'm sayin?
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2006, 07:26:12 AM »
everyman that has won the olympia is alive and seem to be well. figure that out.

rayrod

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2006, 07:40:15 AM »
phil hernon is a moderator at www.professionalmuscle.c om

didn't tonya knight get arrested for drugs a couple of times?

whatever happened to matt mendenhall. 

how about laurie donnelly?   I believe thats her name.    she was with priest for a while     

buffbodz

• Getbig V
  • It's only a board
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2006, 07:53:45 AM »

You answered it yourself.
6 meals lift heavy and 1/2 hr cardio

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
  • quit·ter : a person can't finish a task
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2006, 08:11:53 AM »
Dale is a personal trainer in the Quad Cities....he shows his picture off in the gyms when he was at his biggest.  Kind of a joke IMO.  Did some guest spots on local TV station with exercise tips...

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2006, 08:16:10 AM »
phil hernon is a moderator at www.professionalmuscle.c om

didn't tonya knight get arrested for drugs a couple of times?

whatever happened to matt mendenhall. 

how about laurie donnelly?   I believe thats her name.    she was with priest for a while    

I wondered about her too - maybe Lee can shed some light on it. She was pretty fit.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2006, 03:43:08 PM »
Phil Hill at the 1988 Mr Olympia

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2006, 03:47:54 PM »
Shane Demora

DIVISION

• Getbig V
  • Bless me please, father.....
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2006, 04:26:04 PM »

At the Pro level, it's mainly the sheer amount of drugs required to maintain that physique and the toll it exacts on the body.

The kidneys, liver mostly...

Diuretics have killed careers.

GH/Insulin/IGF-1 is responsible for the "pregnant" look you see in the modern day bodybuilder.

Kovacs, Palumbo, Kamali.........

DIV
I'm a ghost in these killing fields...

xpac2

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2006, 04:29:38 PM »
If they are lucky they get real jobs

legbreaker

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2006, 05:33:54 PM »
Dale is a personal trainer in the Quad Cities....he shows his picture off in the gyms when he was at his biggest.  Kind of a joke IMO.  Did some guest spots on local TV station with exercise tips...

last time I checked that was called advertising.  If a person is looking for a trainer that has been successful building muscle, especially to the point of a Mr America winner in the 80's when nutrition and training techniques were the #1 topic of discussion, It only makes sense to use that in your advertising.  Do ya think a football team would hire terry Bradshaw as their quarterback coach based on his 1970's success???  The ridiculous thing I see today, with the advent of the internet, is trainers that have NEVER done it getting paid by people to train them, NOT a former Mr.America.   

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2006, 05:34:41 PM »
"sport"

HAHAHAHAHAHA!  ::)
HAHA, RON.....

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
  • It’s about how hard you can GET hit...
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2006, 06:05:52 PM »
I'm pretty sure Shane Dimora manages an upscale restaurant/party house in the Flour also known as Flower City.
and keep moving!

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2006, 06:08:46 PM »
last time I checked that was called advertising.  If a person is looking for a trainer that has been successful building muscle, especially to the point of a Mr America winner in the 80's when nutrition and training techniques were the #1 topic of discussion, It only makes sense to use that in your advertising.  Do ya think a football team would hire terry Bradshaw as their quarterback coach based on his 1970's success???  The ridiculous thing I see today, with the advent of the internet, is trainers that have NEVER done it getting paid by people to train them, NOT a former Mr.America.   

A+
a

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2006, 06:50:21 PM »
"sport"

HAHAHAHAHAHA!  ::)

Nice job...almost 6,000 posts and 5,500 of them are "sport HAHAHA" and "athetes HAHAHA".

Maybe you can try and be LESS original...

Come on, post it again, boy....come on...be a good boy....you can do it...come on roll over...

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2006, 07:04:28 PM »
Yes but that's the dumbass bodybuilders' fault, not the trainers. The bb'ers can pay or hire whomever they wish. Why do you think the Mr Americas aren't being hired as trainers?

Also, if the non-athlete trainers and advisors aren't getting results how come they are still in business?

DIVISION

• Getbig V
  • Bless me please, father.....
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2006, 07:07:45 PM »

Correct.

DIV
I'm a ghost in these killing fields...

HOSTILE

• Getbig II
  • Im talented, yes Im gifted Never boosted, never sh
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2006, 08:24:15 PM »
 8)

legbreaker

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2006, 08:42:41 PM »
Yes but that's the dumbass bodybuilders' fault, not the trainers. The bb'ers can pay or hire whomever they wish. Why do you think the Mr Americas aren't being hired as trainers?

Also, if the non-athlete trainers and advisors aren't getting results how come they are still in business?

Very true, you can hire who you want.  For the most part people that are getting involved with competing and training in the last say 8 years have been a big part of the internet.  On the net are many boards and moderators and such were considered the "go to guys" sort of speak and that is why I think you have this new business.  As for Former Mr. Americas I don't see many making their training services available on the net, at least not like the "Net guru's" do with 2000 post and "moderator" status.  When I first competed in 84, if you weren't a competitor you couldn't train people, basically.  There were exceptions but they were few.  The guys from the 80's know FAR more than most guys today.  Why? Because training and nutrition was what they literally thought of all day to improve their success.  Today, I know guys in NYC that are HIV positive and with the right amount of gh, test, deca and anavar they develop physiques that could place at a local NPC show...All this and their diet consist of protein shakes, crystal meth on the weekends, coke, late nights at clubs and training fit for a girl....I am NOT kidding.  Go to 19th street gym and you'll see what I mean.  I aint saying they are great BB's but the drugs have changed BB and people's thinking.  ANY guru....that's right ANY guru can get results with a guy with today's drugs, let alone a legit bodybuilder that actually lives for bodybuilding.  But does bigger swollen muscles equate to a better bodybuilder?  Not in my opinion and that's just what people are seeing today, NOT better bodybuilders.  You need alot more than drugs to be a real good standout bodybuilder.  There is so much to say about trainers, BB today, the net and drugs that this can go on forever.    

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2006, 10:03:13 PM »

HAHAHAHAHA....."athletes rep"........BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

Good boooooy!

Come on...I know you got more where that came from....keep showing everyone how smart you are.

RUDE BUOY

• Getbig V
  • The Franchise
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2006, 10:10:37 PM »
it  just goes to show how much men will give up for the herculean look

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2006, 01:23:51 AM »
Good boooooy!

Come on...I know you got more where that came from....keep showing everyone how smart you are.

That was too easy, Bob.

Looks like I hurt your feelings, and so you melted down here at Getbig for the 1,000th time.

You keep believing whatever you want, cause you really want to believe you're an athlete and that you represent athletes as well...... ::)

I know you think you're fooling people, into thinking you matter. Into thinking you're important, because you call yourself an "athlete". But you're not fooling ANYONE.

Let's face it, had you been ANY kind of athlete, possessing athleticism, you'd have become a pro at something else. Something people actually give a shit about, not just some muscle worshippers....... :-\ But I'm sure you were on your way to the NFL or NBA, but gave it up for pro bbing, right?  ;D

Athletes don't stand on stage for gay audiences while wearing a thong. 

But hey, whatever helps you get thru your life.......
HAHA, RON.....