Author Topic: Grip Training - logging some workouts  (Read 11998 times)

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
Re: Grip Training - logging some workouts
« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2007, 06:24:58 PM »
2-7

CoC#2
Static hold 3 singles

CoC#3
Negative 1 single

CoC#1
7-8 reps, just messed around a bit.

RT
176/1

Negatives: 190*3

Static: 180*2

Comment: quick workout today

-Hedge

How are you closing the CoC #3?

I can get it half closed with grip strength, but closing it the rest of the way seems to be a real pain.  If I push up against a counter or a bench, the darned thing flies out of my hand. 

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2007, 06:45:20 PM »
How are you closing the CoC #3?

I can get it half closed with grip strength, but closing it the rest of the way seems to be a real pain.  If I push up against a counter or a bench, the darned thing flies out of my hand. 
like Hedge said push it into the flat bench that's the most stable way, another great way is to close it with two hands and then release it with one hand for a heavy negative.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2007, 08:15:13 PM »
like Hedge said push it into the flat bench that's the most stable way, another great way is to close it with two hands and then release it with one hand for a heavy negative.

Like I said, it comes out of my hand.   I'm trying to do negatives with the #3 because of problems I'm having holding my deadlifts at the top position.  I just haven't figured out how to get it closed without it slipping.  Right now I'm nursing a ligament/tendon injury in my left hand, so I'm not doing any grip work for the next 2 weeks, maybe longer.  I'll try the two handed method as soon as my left hand is recovered. 

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2007, 12:39:09 AM »
Like I said, it comes out of my hand.   I'm trying to do negatives with the #3 because of problems I'm having holding my deadlifts at the top position.  I just haven't figured out how to get it closed without it slipping.  Right now I'm nursing a ligament/tendon injury in my left hand, so I'm not doing any grip work for the next 2 weeks, maybe longer.  I'll try the two handed method as soon as my left hand is recovered. 

Are you doing static holds with the #2 though?

Even if you're able to close the #2, I think static holds, followed by slowly releasing the gripper, is the best way to build up strength.

Instead of maybe 3-4 singles with the #2, you will be able to get in 7-8 singles, some of the regular closes, some of the static holds. Use the supporting hand to close with if you have to.

To improve your deadlift grip, look into pinchgripping, it will improve the grip immensly IMO.

What to do: Pinch two metal plates together, flat sides outwards and lift up. For safety purposes, lift off a bench. ;D

I usually use 22 lbs plates (10 kg). You may want to start with 10 lbs plates or 15 lbs or 25 lbs, depending on how strong you are.

The pinch grip training isn't fun, but it's very effective for deadlift grip.

My grip is definitely not my weakest link, and when I step over that bar, it's good to know that I will have a solid pull, no matter what weight.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2007, 10:00:42 AM »
Are you doing static holds with the #2 though?

Even if you're able to close the #2, I think static holds, followed by slowly releasing the gripper, is the best way to build up strength.

Instead of maybe 3-4 singles with the #2, you will be able to get in 7-8 singles, some of the regular closes, some of the static holds. Use the supporting hand to close with if you have to.

To improve your deadlift grip, look into pinchgripping, it will improve the grip immensly IMO.

What to do: Pinch two metal plates together, flat sides outwards and lift up. For safety purposes, lift off a bench. ;D

I usually use 22 lbs plates (10 kg). You may want to start with 10 lbs plates or 15 lbs or 25 lbs, depending on how strong you are.

The pinch grip training isn't fun, but it's very effective for deadlift grip.

My grip is definitely not my weakest link, and when I step over that bar, it's good to know that I will have a solid pull, no matter what weight.

-Hedge

I think part of my problem with holding deadlifts simply is hand structure.  I have very, very thick, short fingers and a thick palm.   I wear a size 16 wedding ring---and its tight.  Basically my ring finger is the size of a US quarter.   The problem is my fingers are shorter than they are bigger around.  When I wrap my hand around the bar, it barely goes all the way around the bar---there is no way I could use a hook grip because my thumb doesn't go over my index finger.  What I end up doing is holding the bar conventionally, then as I lock out, the bar slides down until I'm holding it cupped in my fingers.  Thats where I'm dropping my deadlifts I think.  I'm fine to about 500 lbs, but past that, my grip is pitiful. 

I can close a #1 CoC easily for sets of 10-12, a #2 for sets of 6-8 and I can get the #3 about half way, I just cant hold the stupid thing for more than half.   I haven't done too much with static holds with the number 2, but I did them all the time with the #1 as a means of working up to the #2. 

I also will do pinch grip work--but not as often anymore as I have in the past.  Its something I really need to think about doing more I guess.  I've done them with 25 lb plates in the past. 

Thanks for the advice. 

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2007, 03:08:51 PM »
I think part of my problem with holding deadlifts simply is hand structure.  I have very, very thick, short fingers and a thick palm.   I wear a size 16 wedding ring---and its tight.  Basically my ring finger is the size of a US quarter.   The problem is my fingers are shorter than they are bigger around.  When I wrap my hand around the bar, it barely goes all the way around the bar---there is no way I could use a hook grip because my thumb doesn't go over my index finger.  What I end up doing is holding the bar conventionally, then as I lock out, the bar slides down until I'm holding it cupped in my fingers.  Thats where I'm dropping my deadlifts I think.  I'm fine to about 500 lbs, but past that, my grip is pitiful. 

I can close a #1 CoC easily for sets of 10-12, a #2 for sets of 6-8 and I can get the #3 about half way, I just cant hold the stupid thing for more than half.   I haven't done too much with static holds with the number 2, but I did them all the time with the #1 as a means of working up to the #2. 

I also will do pinch grip work--but not as often anymore as I have in the past.  Its something I really need to think about doing more I guess.  I've done them with 25 lb plates in the past. 

Thanks for the advice. 

Your crushing grip is obviously way superior to mine, as I can do maybe two reps with the #2.

Then again, I have a fairly explosive grip, never trains high rep.

My strong point is the support grip, thankfully, since that comes into play in the deadlift. The Rolling Thunder has really improved over the last few months.

I would subscribe a lot of it to the pinch gripping though.

Of course, a Rolling Thunder is something I highly recommend you look into getting. Either the original from Ironmind, or make your own generic one.

But make sure to pinch, it improves the fingers ability to hold onto a bar, and specifically IMO, the thumb.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2007, 01:03:57 PM »
5-7

Rolling Thunder

143/1,     180/1,    198/1,    180/1,    184/1,   

Negatives: 230/1, 5 sets

Regular pulls again on the "way down in weight": 170/1, 170/1, 143/1

Finished off with two sets of static holds on the #1 CoC.

Comments:
The 198 lbs RT felt pretty comfortable. Not easy by any means, but it wasn't a max effort. Felt good about that of course, a lot of it probably has to do with that I am paying attention to the pinch grip.

Boring to train the pinch grip, but rewarding as hell.

Will shoot for a new Rolling Thunder PB in three weeks, the goal is definitely to pull 225 lbs by the end of the year.

-Hedge

As empty as paradise

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2007, 03:17:20 PM »
5-10

Did a few singles with the Rolling Thunder:

112 lbs, 143, 176, 198, 201(PB!!)

And finished of with some negatives, and whatnot. Also some pinchtraining. Did a pretty interesting thing: pinched 3 11 lbs plates together and lifted up. Pretty tough thing to get the middle one to stay, and a cool twist to the pinch training.

Comments:

The Rolling Thunder lifting is right on track, and I actually missed logging one workout, so I was a bit spent for this one, still able to pull a PB. If my grip is alright, I will try 210 lbs on Tuesday.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: May 14, 2007, 11:27:46 AM »
5-14

Some RT singles:

110,154,176,204 (New PB)

Finished of with a couple of singles on 176.

Comments: Felt a bit tired coming into this workout, was VERY surprised to get 204.

Will take the rest of the week off from grip training.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: October 03, 2007, 04:23:25 PM »
Haven't updated this for awhile.

Managed to pull 220 lbs in the Rolling Thunder awhile ago anyway, it was one of the two goals of this "log".

Now I'll focus more on CoC and getting the #3, the second goal. It will take awhile to get there I'm sure.
As empty as paradise

Deadpool

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: October 05, 2007, 02:37:06 PM »
I just bought a set of grippers, in varying strengths from 100 lbs all the way up to 350lbs  :)
X