Author Topic: Bodybuilding and being a Christian?  (Read 19099 times)

fitt@40

• Getbig II
Bodybuilding and being a Christian?
« on: December 19, 2006, 08:48:11 AM »
What are your thoughts on being a Christian and the lifestyle  of a bodybuilder?  I'm only talking about the typical things required to be a successful bodybuilder.

I often hear bodybuilders (from professionals to local competitors) say that their efforts are of God.  I've always found that interesting.  This is not an attempt to slander anyone's opinion or push mine.  Just curious as to what a Christian bodybuilder has to say.

I've read many posts in this section by those who adamantly deny any form of Christianity or organized religion.  Quite frankly, I'm not interested in your view....you've made your position very clear.  I respect it, but this time you can keep it to yourself.

Peace

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
Re: Bodybuilding and being a Christian?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 10:58:33 AM »

God is often praised or condemned for things that he had nothing to do with.

Bast175

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 03:30:42 PM »
What are your thoughts on being a Christian and the lifestyle  of a bodybuilder?  I'm only talking about the typical things required to be a successful bodybuilder.

I often hear bodybuilders (from professionals to local competitors) say that their efforts are of God.  I've always found that interesting.  This is not an attempt to slander anyone's opinion or push mine.  Just curious as to what a Christian bodybuilder has to say.

I've read many posts in this section by those who adamantly deny any form of Christianity or organized religion.  Quite frankly, I'm not interested in your view....you've made your position very clear.  I respect it, but this time you can keep it to yourself.

Peace

As a Christian you should not be overeating even.  Since you could be giving that food to the poor.   So Christian bodybuilders aren't even following their religion properly.

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2006, 11:31:07 PM »
As a Christian you should not be overeating even.  Since you could be giving that food to the poor.   So Christian bodybuilders aren't even following their religion properly.

thats taking it a little too far. are you a bad christian if you drive a bmw? you could by an accord and give the extra money to the poor. this isnt what a belief in god is about. 

D-bol

• Getbig IV
  • Its only hard if you make it hard.
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2006, 01:58:07 AM »
The biggest misunderstanding of chirstianity since Christ was that in order to be a faithful christian you have to go to church on sundays, not say swear words, fast, and so on... While in actual fact its the soul one should care about, not the body - that was christ's central message.

One can go to church every sunday, fast, etc, etc...But if in his heart he has envy, hate, fear, and condemnation of people who don't live the same life style - then he's so-called christianity is a fake!

On the other hand, someone who, say, never goes to church, takes roids, trains, and dates different women, but at the same time is honest, responsible, kind, and strives to be free from prejudice - then he is 100 time more a christian than the first guy.

One should really must differentiate between rituals (e.g. church) and ture faith (the philosophy of the teachings of the Christ).

My opinion only, no offence to anyone.

Count Grishnackh

• Getbig III
  • The easiest person to deceive is one's own self
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2006, 02:54:51 AM »
thats taking it a little too far. are you a bad christian if you drive a bmw? you could by an accord and give the extra money to the poor. this isnt what a belief in god is about. 

uh, yes it is.    ::)    Posts like this just confirm my belief that hell will be such a crowded place !  I look forward to some huge parties with all my self-proclaimed christian brothers and sisters.

To answer your question Fitt@40, there is no way that a true christian could be so self absorbed with vanity, to train, eat, tan, spend money on travel and supplements etc.  to bodybuild or be a competitive bodybuilder and even remotely claim to be a real christian. Don't try to rationalize it out brother.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2006, 11:13:04 AM »
I think bodybuilding is completely compatible with Christianity.  Your body is a temple.  Nothing anti-Christian at all about training hard, eating right, tanning, spending money on supplements, etc.

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2006, 11:36:30 AM »
I think bodybuilding is completely compatible with Christianity.  Your body is a temple.  Nothing anti-Christian at all about training hard, eating right, tanning, spending money on supplements, etc.
My thoughts exactly, Beach.  What better way to physically honor God than to take care of the very give that was given to us by Him?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2006, 11:50:35 AM »
My thoughts exactly, Beach.  What better way to physically honor God than to take care of the very give that was given to us by Him?

Yep.  I agree.  It not only honors God, but serves as a witness to others (assuming you live right). 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2006, 12:00:04 PM »
And welcome back.   :)

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2006, 12:09:17 PM »
And welcome back.   :)
Thanks, bro.  Sorry I haven't been able to post more often.  Been putting in some heavy hours both at work and at church.   

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2006, 12:26:14 PM »
Been putting in some heavy hours ...at church.   

;D

fitt@40

• Getbig II
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2006, 01:33:28 PM »
uh, yes it is.    ::)    Posts like this just confirm my belief that hell will be such a crowded place !  I look forward to some huge parties with all my self-proclaimed Christian brothers and sisters.

To answer your question Fitt@40, there is no way that a true Christian could be so self absorbed with vanity, to train, eat, tan, spend money on travel and supplements etc.  to bodybuild or be a competitive bodybuilder and even remotely claim to be a real Christian. Don't try to rationalize it out brother.

You and I actually agree....somewhat.  I'm starting to think that the amount of self absorbed commitment it requires for success may be a problem. 

I disagree with your implication that Christians should not obtain wealth.  This is a misconception that many people share.  The only time wealth becomes a problem is when a Christian places wealth above his or her relationship with God.  Some may ask can't that same rationale be applied to bodybuilding or anything else.  In other words, as long as bodybuilding does not get placed above God, shouldn't it be okay?  I started this thread because someone stated to me that a top Pro's committent and acknowledgement of God has to prove that he's successful because he's a true Christian.  I think Tre said it best when he said "God is often praised or condemned for things that he had nothing to do with".  Where does one draw the line?  If a woman is an exceptional exotic dancer and she claims that God gave her the ability to shake her rump, does that make her a Christian.  I think not.

Count Grishnackh

• Getbig III
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2006, 07:23:44 PM »

Let's clarify something.

Are you referring to keeping yourself strong and healthy weight training?

Or are you talking about being competitive with bb, fitness or figure?

BIG DIFFERENCE, I'm talking about the latter.

Count Grishnackh

• Getbig III
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2006, 07:27:02 PM »
You and I actually agree....somewhat.  I'm starting to think that the amount of self absorbed commitment it requires for success may be a problem. 

I disagree with your implication that Christians should not obtain wealth.  This is a misconception that many people share. 

So you think that Jesus would find it accepting that someone live in excess, 70k cars, 6 bedroom homes (when 3 are needed), jewelry, expensive exotic vacations etc al.

This would be acceptable as opposed to living modestly and taking that excess wealth and helping those less fortunate?

Interesting.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2006, 08:13:32 PM »
So you think that Jesus would find it accepting that someone live in excess, 70k cars, 6 bedroom homes (when 3 are needed), jewelry, expensive exotic vacations etc al.

What if he did all of these things, but yet took time out to take care of the sick and interned. Helped the unemployed get jobs.

For instance, if I had the money and time, bodybuilding, cars and books would be my passion. But I would definitely give back to the community, because I believe in "Each One, Teach One", and givng to others makes me feel like I am closer to God.  Just let me have those, and that would not interfere with my relationship with God. 

Of course my house would be huge...to house the big personal gym, the world's largest private library, and the would's most exclusive  car collection  ;D

Count Grishnackh

• Getbig III
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2006, 09:42:52 PM »
It's called gluttony Parker, sorry. I know people like to rationalize it out to make themselves feel ok about the loaded Mercedes they bought to drive to work and back, but it is what it is.

Would Mother Theresa, if she had 75k and could drive a car, by the cheapest possible functional car and use the rest of the money for the benefit of others, or buy a 75k car?

The answer to that question should apply to EVERYONE who claims to live a christian lifestyle.

fitt@40

• Getbig II
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2006, 02:09:42 AM »
You are correct CG....sort of.  It can be gluttony to have such things.  I would venture to say that most times it is gluttony in these situations.  However, I challenge you to find Scripture that says one cannot have great wealth and love God.  You'll find serveral that says one cannot love God and love money.  Again,I do agree that most who have great wealth loves the wealth more than God.  Scripture tells us that it's easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than a rich man  to enter the Kingdom of Heaven. 

It's all about one's heart.  Mark 10:22 tells of the situation whereby Christ instructed a rich man to sell all he had, give it to the poor and then follow Him.  The rich guy couldn't do it.  That's when Christ told of the camel/entering Heaven deal.  People often use Scripture like this to convey the message that one cannot be rich and a Christian.  It is the love of money (or placing it before God) that's a problem.  Job 42:10-14 tells of how God gave Job twice as much as he lost.  God made him an extremely wealthy man. 

This hold true for the other side of the coin as well.  You and others have mentioned that Mother Theresa would have used excess wealth to help others.  Even that does not sit well with God, if one's heart is not right.  The Bible teaches us that come judgement day, there are going to be those who have done great things in the name of God, but will still be condemed to hell because their hearts never knew God.   

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2006, 08:37:37 AM »
Let's clarify something.

Are you referring to keeping yourself strong and healthy weight training?

Or are you talking about being competitive with bb, fitness or figure?

BIG DIFFERENCE, I'm talking about the latter.

Both.  Nothing anti-Christian about competing.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2006, 08:41:03 AM »
It's called gluttony Parker, sorry. I know people like to rationalize it out to make themselves feel ok about the loaded Mercedes they bought to drive to work and back, but it is what it is.

Would Mother Theresa, if she had 75k and could drive a car, by the cheapest possible functional car and use the rest of the money for the benefit of others, or buy a 75k car?

The answer to that question should apply to EVERYONE who claims to live a christian lifestyle.

The "Christian lifestyle" includes living within your means.  There is nothing anti-Christian about buying a $75k car if you can afford it.  I think the problem is many people overextend themselves to purchase things they really cannot afford. 

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2006, 03:43:48 PM »

But you see Count, those are what make me happy. But doing for others whether they are less fortunate or normal is also what I like to do.

If I like to bodybuild  in order to have mental and physical discipline (something many so-called Christians don't have), I  see that not as gluttony, but trying to respect and build upon what God has giving me.
As far as books (knowledge), well, we can thank the Devil, for intoducing that to us, huh. God wanted us to remain ignorant for our own good, during that time. But I beleive that most of the issues that arise to today with racism, religious fanaticism, hatred, bigotry, are all due to ignorance and lack of knowledge.  how is trying to get as much knowledge as possilbe, and trying to dessiminate that, glottony?

Cars, I like 'em. I like how they tick, how they look. But by no means am I show off, i like the technical aspect of cars, and having a exclusive collection of cars, that one could let the public see, would let others share in my passion, and possible spark the interest in others, which might
steer someone from the wrong path.   

I don't think Mother Teresa would get the cheapest car around,  if she were here. I think she would get a modest car, spec'd out with some options (safety), remember not even the Pope has just "basic" transportation ;D 

D-bol

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2006, 11:30:16 PM »
I'm sorry if I'm cutting in with my 2 cents, but reading the post I find that we generally miss the point. Its not whether you live within your financial means or not, or whether you spend 100k a month or give it away to charity. Its your soul, who you are, what is your attitude towards people, life, environment, and god. The basis of christianity, if you really read into it, have really nothing to do with material world.

17 century monks used to beat themselves with leather whips while kneeling on raw pees for 8 hours, thinking that way they somehow become better christians by undergoing physical suffering. I doubt anyone (including Christ himslef) would agree that this mazochism makes anybody a better christian.

Count Grishnackh

• Getbig III
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2006, 12:04:16 AM »
Do you guys really think that dumping all of that extra cash on these worldly possessions is what it's all about and that it's ok, because you're pure of heart?

Aren't there ALOT of less fortunate people and charities that would benefit from this?
That extra 50k that you spend on an elite car can change alot of peoples lives. (I'm just using that as an example, not an accusation).

Isn't it GOOD and CHRISTIAN that when you have the ability or earn the ability to help those less fortunate, that you actually DO?

I will just have to agree to disagree with you on this and in my opinion this is how todays christian will endlessly argue that they deserve self indulgence. It is a never ending debate in todays christian society, along with homosexuality.

It's either one way or the other.

We'll all find out in the end, it's a dice roll either way. For me, it is already worked out, for those that are relying on their interpretation of scripture to justify their lifestyle, I hope it works out for you, if not, see you in ..........

D-bol

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2006, 01:45:41 AM »
Count, I hear you point.

But put it this way: if 2000 years we would take care of our souls instead of bothering how many times have I been to church this year, today there would not be such thing as charity, cuz there would not be any hungry, poor, and disadvantaged. There would be no need to give!

I know in today's world of materialism its hard to see, but more one is devoted to spiritual life, the less of material  goods he will want. Those who buy 10 cars and 3 houses and wear 20 gold chains are those who are empty inside and need to filllup the vacuum somehow.

And all those megarich celebs who give to charity are prolly worse than those who give nothing. Certain well known american singer gives alot to charity...But most of her life she lived like a filthy slut, indulging her self in whatever pleasures she wanted. So, now suddenly she's good christian cuz she goes to africa and gives money to aids-sick children, making a gesture for publicity? (if she wanted it to be real charity she would not make it public and would send money anonimously). She tried every possible material indulgence she possibly could, but internal emptieness is still there...so there's nothing left to do but charities - yet another amuzement for herself.

I'm not saying you can drink yourself to death, indulge in perverted sexual activities, blow money on drugs and claim to be a good christian. I'm saying that if you first take care of your soul (instead of thinking about what food is it wrong to eat for christian, or how many times to go to church), then at the end of the day you WILL NOT have to restrict yourself from material indulgences, you will simply NOT WANT them.

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2006, 09:16:02 AM »

Isn't it GOOD and CHRISTIAN that when you have the ability or earn the ability to help those less fortunate, that you actually DO?

I will just have to agree to disagree with you on this and in my opinion this is how todays christian will endlessly argue that they deserve self indulgence. It is a never ending debate in todays christian society, along with homosexuality.

It's either one way or the other.

Your right, it is good and Christian to do that. I don't consider myself a Christian, I believe in God, but I have always helped others out from an early age, whether they be less fortunate or not. It has always been in my nature to do so. Is what i like a a vice or self indulgence, I don't know. True the extra money I would spend on a Ferrari would help many people out, but  should a person with that type of money always give it to the less fortunate, and never treat themselves?