Author Topic: Soy Protein...  (Read 1621 times)

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
  • "look, it's the drunk piano player."
Soy Protein...
« on: December 21, 2006, 05:10:32 AM »
Has or does anyone supplement strictly with this protein?  What is your reasoning behind using soy exclusively?
footloose and fancy free

smaul

• Getbig IV
  • Lets build some hurting bombs!
Re: Soy Protein...
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 07:04:25 AM »
Tried it once for about 2 months exclusively because I was short of cash and it was cheap!  Actually had good gains of it, what I would expect from other proteins.  Supposedly it increases oestrogen levels but I didnt notice.  The fear of increased oestrogen levels has stopped me from buying it though. 

Its absorbed quite slowy so is best used as a meal replacement, it is bloody awful to mix though, will not dissolve
It hasn't helped...

buffbodz

• Getbig V
  • It's only a board
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2006, 08:36:57 AM »
Soy Pro Isolate is the latest that soy has come.  I think you meant estrogen and It does.  What they do now is advertise it as "gender specific" meaning that men will get the testosterone blood levels up and woman will get estrogen.  I don't buy it so I stick to whey, casein and egg proteins.  The people who use it are mostly woman or vegetarians.  Not many bodybuilders.  It's used in allot of bars and in some blended protein powers so read labels.   It mixes much better than the old soy, but I'm sticking with the old school proteins.

Tried it once for about 2 months exclusively because I was short of cash and it was cheap!  Actually had good gains of it, what I would expect from other proteins.  Supposedly it increases oestrogen levels but I didnt notice.  The fear of increased oestrogen levels has stopped me from buying it though. 

Its absorbed quite slowy so is best used as a meal replacement, it is bloody awful to mix though, will not dissolve
6 meals lift heavy and 1/2 hr cardio

bigjay80

• Getbig II
  • Street Muscle
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2006, 10:11:37 AM »
Actually soy is higher in glutamine and in Arginine than other proteins, and to this day there has been no research showing that it does indeed raise estrogen levels in men.  It is all around a great source of protein, specially when blended with other proteins like whey and casein. 

pushinweightwi

• Getbig III
  • One man's trash, is another man's treasure.BSpears
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 04:51:55 PM »
I never used it stand alone as a protein but from time to time eat soy containing foods.  When the anti-soy movement was at its peak a few years back(led by testosterone.com)  I noticed that on days I ate soy I felt weaker in the gym.  Now this could totally have been in my head and probably was.  I dont avoid it like the plague anymore but I like other protein sources better.  As was already stated I find it has its benefits as part of a blend.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2006, 07:40:39 PM »
Has anyone improved the taste and texture?  I recall it being like drinking liquid chalk  :-X :-X :-X
:

elspecimino

• Getbig III
  • hulk hogan=largest arms in the world
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2006, 09:40:14 AM »
I work with a Registered Dietician and she is completely against the use of soy by men.  The whole estrogen thing and your other protein choices are better suited for bodybuilding.

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2006, 03:19:20 PM »
MHP's product Probolic is a blend of different proteins, predominantly Soy, chocolate is fantastic. Still slightly chalky but best Soy product I have tasted.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2007, 01:12:39 AM »
I use the GNC soy.  It ain't Muscle Milk, but it's palatable.  Works for me.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2007, 08:56:41 AM »
Soy Pro Isolate is the latest that soy has come.  I think you meant estrogen and It does.  What they do now is advertise it as "gender specific" meaning that men will get the testosterone blood levels up and woman will get estrogen.  I don't buy it so I stick to whey, casein and egg proteins.  The people who use it are mostly woman or vegetarians.  Not many bodybuilders.  It's used in allot of bars and in some blended protein powers so read labels.   It mixes much better than the old soy, but I'm sticking with the old school proteins.

Soy is an "old-school" protein. Bodybuilders have been using it since the 60s and 70s (at least). I've used it, on an off, since the late 80s, as a number of weight-gainers had soy as one of its primary proteins. I also used it, when I couldn't affoard milk-and-egg or egg protein powders. Back then, it was marketed under the name, Supro (which was soy protein isolate).

In fact, it still is today. More recently, I've purchased GNC's Soy & Whey Protein, when it was marked down. Except for the standard gritty composition, it tastes fairly good and works well.

Bill Pearl and Arnold Schwarzenegger were two legends, who used this type of protein frequently, especially Pearl, when he went vegetarian.  Judging by the way he looked at the 1971 NABBA Mr. Universe, it's safe that one need not fear being feminized by using such   soy protein.

bigjay80

• Getbig II
  • Street Muscle
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2007, 07:24:38 AM »
Completely agree....!!  The soy estrogen myth was nothing more than a scam used by Whey companies to drive sales.  The bottom line is that different proteins have different nutrient ratios, and Soy is still one of the best, all around proteins!!