Author Topic: Afghan heroin supply on rise across America  (Read 4737 times)

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
Afghan heroin supply on rise across America
« on: December 28, 2006, 05:12:52 AM »
Afghan heroin supply on rise across America
By Garrett Therolf
Los Angeles Times
Published: Wednesday, December 27, 2006

LOS ANGELES - The amount of high-quality heroin throughout America is surging because of an increasing supply from Afghanistan, and with it the fear that record-breaking poppy harvests after the U.S. invasion are fueling more addictions and overdose deaths back home.

Heroin-related deaths in Los Angeles County soared from 137 in 2002 to 282 in 2004 before dropping to 239 in 2005, still a jump of nearly 75 percent in three years, a period when other factors contributing to overdose deaths remained unchanged, experts said.

cont...
http://www.registerguard.com/news/2006/12/27/a3.nat.heroin.1227.p1.php?section=nation_world

sandycoosworth

Re: Afghan heroin supply on rise across America
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2006, 07:50:44 AM »
its no secret that the taliban destroyed their entire crop in jan 2001 (i believe this may have been because of overproduction the prior year) and many of the fields had been replaced with crops .... well by december 2001 (after the us led invasion had begun) opium production was back at record levels

the war on drugs mirrors the war on terrorism in that the US(and pretty much every other government) spends billions ostensibly fighting it, while at the same profiting from it

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2006, 07:54:18 AM »
heroin is being smuggled in by whom you ask? Not the mafia anymore, but rather by south asian immigrants. a amonia and bleach wrap = no detection by police dogs.

sandycoosworth

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2006, 07:59:14 AM »
heroin is being smuggled in by whom you ask? Not the mafia anymore, but rather by south asian immigrants. a amonia and bleach wrap = no detection by police dogs.

actually, most of the US drugs come via plane, formerly to air force bases, but more recently to flight schools when the lid was blown off of that ... even clinton talked about the illegal drug activities at a base in arkansas and implicated the federal government (this was before he was pres)

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2006, 08:02:18 AM »
actually, most of the US drugs come via plane, formerly to air force bases, but more recently to flight schools when the lid was blown off of that ... even clinton talked about the illegal drug activities at a base in arkansas and implicated the federal government (this was before he was pres)

I never knew this.. But I do know that a certain portion is smuggled in by immigrants, as it's pretty easy to get away with a 1-4 kg shipment. And I've also seen pakis bragging around the NYC area about doing it.

sandycoosworth

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2006, 08:03:28 AM »
I never knew this.. But I do know that a certain portion is smuggled in by immigrants, as it's pretty easy to get away with a 1-4 kg shipment. And I've also seen pakis bragging around the NYC area about doing it.

i dont doubt it, but thats like pennies compared to the tonnes and tonnes the CIA smuggles in ...

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2006, 08:27:00 AM »
Good posts all, pretty much what I was thinking too... I didn't see where the article blames the people of afganistan but rather points to the war against the taliban and the boom in poppy crops as a result.  There's no unfactual information.  It would be nice if they directly addressed WHY we're turning out backs on the problem, but not a chance... So anybody think we have anything that points to the CIA profiting on this to fund operations... again... Sandy mentions the CIA and this is what I figured to be a big part of what's going on.

sandycoosworth

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2006, 08:31:09 AM »
the global illegal drug trade is a trillion dollar industry

it would be very naive to believe that those who could profit from it (ie governments) would chose not to

the really interesting part of this economy is when large amreekan corporations launder drug money, perfectly legally :)

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2006, 08:40:10 AM »
the global illegal drug trade is a trillion dollar industry

it would be very naive to believe that those who could profit from it (ie governments) would chose not to

the really interesting part of this economy is when large amreekan corporations launder drug money, perfectly legally :)

I agree.... Even more naive when there is a history of agencies/governments doing it.

sandycoosworth

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2006, 08:44:39 AM »
the drug trade has been used for many years to help keep wall street afloat ...

basically wallstreet is a huge artificial bubble (dow just closed above 12500 yesterday didnt it?) and in order to sustain that bubbe all you need to do is make the minimum monthlies, much like with your credit card... enter drug money and voila :)

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2006, 12:09:46 PM »
Good posts all, pretty much what I was thinking too... I didn't see where the article blames the people of afganistan but rather points to the war against the taliban and the boom in poppy crops as a result.  There's no unfactual information.  It would be nice if they directly addressed WHY we're turning out backs on the problem, but not a chance... So anybody think we have anything that points to the CIA profiting on this to fund operations... again... Sandy mentions the CIA and this is what I figured to be a big part of what's going on.

The CIA profited from cocaine in south america in the 80's, even shipping the stuff on board US airplanes, so them profiting from heroin isn't a surprise.

sandycoosworth

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2006, 12:12:08 PM »
to be sure, something like 6/7 of the first CIA directors came from wallstreet, i dont think the CIA is profiting so much as they are laundering for the bubble i talked about before...

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
carpe` vaginum!

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2006, 05:14:21 PM »
I say they have every right to grow and sell the stuff. Its a crop like any other. If there is a market for it why should they be penalized? These people are poor as hell. They aren't twisting anybodys arm to take illicit drugs. We have to look in the mirror on this one. If there was no demand they wouldn't grow it.
The House that Ruth built

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2006, 09:22:43 PM »
I say they have every right to grow and sell the stuff. Its a crop like any other. If there is a market for it why should they be penalized? These people are poor as hell. They aren't twisting anybodys arm to take illicit drugs. We have to look in the mirror on this one. If there was no demand they wouldn't grow it.

i agree and disagree with ya there

the part of me that agrees..has seen what a starving early teen yr old girl begging for food but prolly gonna be sold in peshwars whore market looks like..

and i couldn't do SHIT about it...i wasn't armed...every other person in peshwar is armed..\hell even if i ws armed..what the fuck ws i gonna do?? be rambo?  :-\

carpe` vaginum!

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2006, 12:07:10 AM »
Headhunter6 will be online this evening to tell us all of this is wrong - and that since his commanding officer told him "all the drugs come form those taleban mutherfuggers" - all the info here is irrelevant.

Well since I'm here and can walk 1 block to the DEA task force guys and ask..uh yeah. U guys get all your crap from left wing media outlets or CT sites. Its pretty easy to see that we are dealing with 1 problem at a time. The locals all grow poppies..if we destroy all the crops then they will have very litttle food and all decide to pick up AK's. Its common sense.
L

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2006, 12:07:55 AM »

Thats it in a nut shell.
L

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2006, 12:10:55 AM »
Ask Toxic, Afghani's are fucking crazy. The heroin trade gives em something to do. Some of u guys need to spend time in a 3rd world shithole and then ask yourself what you would do to survive. Karzi is the Emperor of Kabul and nothing else. This place is the wild west. We're dealing with 1 issue at a time.
L

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2006, 09:08:09 PM »
The taliban didn't do any managing. If your a Taliban cat and you tell somebody to do something and they don't..u can shoot them. I really can't do that. This country has and always will be controled by the war lords.
L

a_joker10

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2006, 10:45:01 PM »
The taliban didn't do any managing. If your a Taliban cat and you tell somebody to do something and they don't..u can shoot them. I really can't do that. This country has and always will be controled by the war lords.

Wow a voice of reason.

The only hope I see is for a another election and some new leaders running.
Once people see that change can happen without more violence the more likely that they will believe they have a chance for survival without violence.
Z

AlliedPowers

• Getbig II
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2006, 11:50:00 PM »
legalize drugs, who cares. i'm a libertarian.  we want to legalize it in the USA and tax it  8)