Author Topic: Zito gets 126 mill  (Read 1554 times)

body88

Zito gets 126 mill
« on: December 29, 2006, 11:10:18 AM »
Zito gets a Giant contract
By Herald wire services
Friday, December 29, 2006 - Updated: 02:44 AM EST

The Bay Area’s other Barry is the new face of the San Francisco Giants - now and well into the future.

Barry Zito and the Giants reached a preliminary agreement on the largest contract for a pitcher in baseball history, a seven-year, $126 million deal.

Zito joins the Giants three weeks after the club agreed to a one-year, $16 million contract with slugger Barry Bonds for a 15th season.

Zito’s father, Joe, and publicist, Kathy Jacobson, confirmed the deal, while the Giants were waiting for the left-hander to take a physical today before making it official. San Francisco plans to introduce the three-time All-Star next week.

“I think it’s a very good fit,” Joe Zito said. “I am respectful of the owners who came forward and would believe in Barry to such a degree.”

Zito, the 2002 AL Cy Young Award winner with a nasty curveball and eccentric personality, never has missed a start in his career and is eager to help the Giants become a contender again.

“It’s a huge piece of the puzzle as far as solidifying our rotation,” fellow Giants lefty starter Noah Lowry said.

Zito will lead a rotation that features Matt Cain, coming off a strong rookie season, Lowry and Matt Morris.

Zito’s agreement, reached late Wednesday, includes an $18 million option for 2014 with a $7 million buyout that could increase the value to $137 million. He has a full no-trade clause.

Diesel1

• Getbig V
Re: Zito gets 126 mill
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006, 11:21:18 AM »
is he worth it?

p.s, i know fuckall about baseball

body88

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006, 11:36:03 AM »
Not imo. The deal is for seven years :o. If he gets hurt they are fucked. It is a major risk for the Giants. All in all ,the deal could be worth over 144 mill. Barry used to be a dominant pitcher. He is no longer dominant, but he is still a very good pitcher. What they would call a "front line" pitcher. He is a fly ball guy (needs a big ballpark to be really effective). Many would claim that is the reason for a lot of Barry's success.

Either way, Barry will help them in the short term. Long term is where the deal is risky. It could the other way also. He could stay healthy. But, the odds are it wont play out like that for the whole 7 years.

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006, 02:23:32 PM »
is he worth it?

p.s, i know fuckall about baseball

Nope, and the Giants will still suck this year.
The House that Ruth built

Diesel1

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2006, 02:28:15 PM »
How can baseball afford such massive deals when it's not even the number one sport?

do any american football players get such big pay deals? I believe football is salary capped..

blinky

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2006, 03:50:28 PM »

first off no i dont think hes worth that much. hes not even in the top 5 pitchers IMO.

How can baseball afford such massive deals when it's not even the number one sport?

do any american football players get such big pay deals? I believe football is salary capped..

they play 160 games a year. that helps

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2006, 07:43:32 PM »
He isn't worth it at all.. Plus he'll be changing leagues and he's not the same dude who won 20 games and a Cy Young a few years back. The Giants wont do shit, it'll just be about Bonds hitting 756.

Eric15210

• Getbig IV
  • poor people are crazy I'm eccentric
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2006, 08:31:50 PM »
Since we have a minor league team here in Pittsburgh - we don't care  :'(
RIP Bob Probert

SL-Dubbs

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2006, 09:59:55 PM »
I looked at the thread title and wondered how Chuck Zito would get his hands on 126mil :-\

Scimowser

• Getbig V
  • Make them remember you
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2006, 01:00:19 AM »
that is fucking insane money, i know next to fuck all about baseball but that money surely can not be justified! We freak out when people sign football contracts for 3-4 million a year
Scouser on Tour

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2006, 06:58:58 PM »

Baseball players are the highest paid team sport athletes in the USA. Baseball is still the number one sport in the USA by several measures though some may try and dispute this. The NFL has the largest NATIONAL TV contract of any sport while MLB has the biggest local TV contracts, sells more apparel and merchandise and has way more revenue from the gate than the NFL.

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2006, 07:00:56 PM »

Zito isn't even in the same league as Johan Santana.

blinky

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2006, 02:51:39 AM »

Zito isn't even in the same league as Johan Santana.

agreed.
or roy halladay