Author Topic: Eastern religions > Abrahamic religions  (Read 2140 times)

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
Eastern religions > Abrahamic religions
« on: December 29, 2006, 01:38:55 PM »
This is true.. Eastern faiths put more emphasis on being a good human being and treating others with respect. While stuff like Islam and Christianity are more about submission to super natural figures.

What are your opinions?

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
Re: Eastern religions > Abrahamic religions
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006, 04:18:50 PM »
I thought, Islam, Christianity, and Judiasm, were Eastern Religions, because they were founded in ...THE MIDDLE EAST. It is just that the majority of Christians and Jews today are of European descent.

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006, 04:55:07 PM »
I thought, Islam, Christianity, and Judiasm, were Eastern Religions, because they were founded in ...THE MIDDLE EAST. It is just that the majority of Christians and Jews today are of European descent.

Well I wouldn't call them eastern because Europeans have distorted the original faiths and tweaked them. What I meant by eastern religions is hinduism, buddhism, janism, traditional chinese religion.

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2006, 04:23:01 AM »
Well I wouldn't call them eastern because Europeans have distorted the original faiths and tweaked them. What I meant by eastern religions is hinduism, buddhism, janism, traditional chinese religion.

If more Europeans got involved with that, and then became the majority, would they still be called "Eastern religions", or religions "based on Eastern Philosophies"

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2006, 05:00:26 PM »
If more Europeans got involved with that, and then became the majority, would they still be called "Eastern religions", or religions "based on Eastern Philosophies"

I'm not debating the above. What I am debating here is that are religions like Hinduism better than religions like Christianity and Islam?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2006, 06:07:22 PM »
I'm not debating the above. What I am debating here is that are religions like Hinduism better than religions like Christianity and Islam?

Not at all. 

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2007, 08:11:50 AM »
Not at all. 

Well, how many Bhuddists do you hear about killing and lobbing bombs at people? Or saying that someone is going to hell if you don't believe what they believe

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2007, 08:55:04 AM »
Not at all. 

haha, yes. That's the arrogant thoughts of monotheistic salvation religions.

Everything else is wrong.  ::) ::)

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2007, 08:56:05 AM »
Well, how many Bhuddists do you hear about killing and lobbing bombs at people? Or saying that someone is going to hell if you don't believe what they believe

exactly.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2007, 11:25:36 PM »

I don't know, but what does that have to do with whether Buddhism is a "better" religion than Christianity?  You're talking about the conduct of individuals, not the differences in teachings.  That's the real issue IMO. 

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2007, 07:23:06 PM »
I don't know, but what does that have to do with whether Buddhism is a "better" religion than Christianity?  You're talking about the conduct of individuals, not the differences in teachings.  That's the real issue IMO. 

would the conduct of the individuals represent how strictly they follow the teachings of the respected religion.