Author Topic: WHAT'S YOUR MOST BRUTAL CALF WORKOUT??  (Read 7089 times)

SWOLETRAIN

• Getbig IV
Re: WHAT'S YOUR MOST BRUTAL CALF WORKOUT??
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2007, 01:10:32 AM »
flex lewis did one on the fit show a while back.... Ive been using it since. Its brutal!
-

Fletch

• Getbig II
  • You must be very proud of yourself
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2007, 01:13:36 AM »
fucking your sister standing up
Put it on the Underhills

rccs

• Getbig IV
  • Alma Matter!
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2007, 04:52:20 AM »
fucking your sister standing up
Typical post from a typical ignorant... ::)
S

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2007, 05:08:46 AM »
I don't train calves.

natural al

• Getbig V
  • like it or don't, learn to live with it..whooooooo
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2007, 09:42:50 AM »
most brutal?  About 15 years ago I watched the old "cybergenics" video which was basically you doing tons of drop sets to total failure and going through that cycle about 3 or 4 times.  I went to the gym and camped out on the standing calf raise and started out real heavy, would fail and drop the wieght a little and go again  and so on and so forth down to about 30lbs then I did BW raises until I couldn't move my calfs, I'd rest for a few minuts and go again till I got 4 cycles.  I couldn't walk right for about a week and-I think, I dont' really remember-my calfs actually bruised from this, they were so swollen it was scarey.  I dont' think they actually grew from this.

best calve workouts-dc style, heavy as hell.  nothing I've ever done has made my calves grow any better and I've been trying for years to get my calfs to grow.
nasser=piece of shit

kicker

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2007, 09:52:39 AM »
carrying a fat woman on my back

Hahaha, while walking on the treadmill at 4 mph @ 15% incline, that would work.

bigguns175

• Getbig II
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2007, 04:46:29 PM »
Exactly, I blast my calves......the soreness that follows is so intense everytime I get out of a chair I'm afraid something could tear if I stumble.   Folks that train calves everyday or 3-4 times per week ain't trainin em worth a shit at any of those sessions.

Do you ever do cardio ? Walking or jogging on treadmill on an incline will increase your calves allot it also, makes it easier to recover from calf workouts because the muscle is used to being stressed more often.

Back in the day I used to never do cardio and my calves would in fact be sore for a long period, but since adding cardio 3-5 times a week calves recover a lot quicker less soreness.

And as stated a million times on this board before soreness is not necessarily a sign of hypertrophy of the muscle...

A brutal calf workout? let me see...
Some gyms have this some don't but a standing calf machine with 2 steps.  Do 3 sets of like 20 or so steps up and down it and each time you step up you do a calf raise.  After that maybe either calf raises on the leg press with 800 or more pounds or on the Smith machine standing on a box with 4 or 5 plates on each side and then either take short time in between sets or do unweighted 1 leg calf raises on a board in between.  Another fun variation is do right leg to failure, then left leg to failure, then both legs together till failure, oo thats a good pump and burn.  Maybe to finish it up some kind of seated either free weight or machine calf raise

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2007, 05:47:07 PM »
Leg press calf raise - 4x15 (with 5 second static contraction)
Seated calf raise - 4x12 (with 5 second negatives)
One leg dumbell calf raises - 4 sets to failure, no rest between legs, pause at top and 'bounce' up an extra inch to really squeeze it.

Also stretch by leaning forward against a wall between all sets.

(Unfortunately my gym is upstairs and I drive there, so getting back down the stairs and then operating the pedals in the car is always fun!)

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2007, 05:30:55 PM »
I had a quick one yesterday with the seated calf raise machine. I started with 45 x 30  90 x 12  115 x 6  140 x 3  115 x 5  90 x 6  45 x 15 This was all done one after the other with no rest in between. This is not my most hardcore but intensity level was high and am sure it gave a good growth spur.

I would be interested to hear what your best calf workout was! Bast I can't wait to hear what yours is!
i don't train them because i am one of the fortunate few who's calves are way to big for the rest of their body

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2007, 05:23:09 PM »
i don't train them because i am one of the fortunate few who's calves are way to big for the rest of their body

Good. Let the arms and neck catch up and then start training them again.
just push some weight!

metalruler

• Getbig II
  • My dog's name is Shag
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2007, 12:46:09 AM »
Doin a rest pause set, up to 500 to 700 reps will definately cause ur calves to grow...trust me it works
ur momma

Monster_Everything

• Getbig IV
  • WOW, he REALLY just said that? (looks at camera)
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2007, 08:48:53 AM »
I dont even need to have a brutal calf workout, i train them only twice, three times a month. They are 18-19 inches easy, and have been since highschool.
The Number 2 in Scranton

natural al

• Getbig V
  • like it or don't, learn to live with it..whooooooo
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2007, 09:48:11 AM »
Doin a rest pause set, up to 500 to 700 reps will definately cause ur calves to grow...trust me it works

uhhh....how f'n long does that take?

nasser=piece of shit

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2007, 01:59:47 PM »
Good. Let the arms and neck catch up and then start training them again.
the bad part is my arms and neck are not by any means small,my dad went to the gym once in his life and that was to spot-me.and the next day people were asking me what my dad does for calfs

its all genetics ,sometimes its embarrasing their so big

bench

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2007, 04:44:45 PM »
the bad part is my arms and neck are not by any means small,my dad went to the gym once in his life and that was to spot-me.and the next day people were asking me what my dad does for calfs

its all genetics ,sometimes its embarrasing their so big

bench

lol that is real cool. Consider yourself blessed!
just push some weight!

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2007, 05:04:47 AM »
lol that is real cool. Consider yourself blessed!

Haha i think it was one of the old school boys, al beckles or johnny fuller or somebody like that, who had his calfs measured at 19 inches. the guy measuring them was like 'wow there huge, what size wer they wen u started working out?'
Fuller/beckles (not sure), turned to him and sed '18 inches.' Some people are lucky!!

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2007, 11:13:05 AM »
Actually, just measured my calves at 17.5 cold as the artic. After working them out an easy 18....19 was a strech...
L

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2007, 06:29:05 PM »
Haha i think it was one of the old school boys, al beckles or johnny fuller or somebody like that, who had his calfs measured at 19 inches. the guy measuring them was like 'wow there huge, what size wer they wen u started working out?'
Fuller/beckles (not sure), turned to him and sed '18 inches.' Some people are lucky!!

davie

Did you hear about Chris Dickerson's twin brother?

He didn't train calves and they where actually bigger then Chris' and he trained his.
just push some weight!

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2007, 07:14:22 PM »
most brutal?  About 15 years ago I watched the old "cybergenics" video which was basically you doing tons of drop sets to total failure and going through that cycle about 3 or 4 times.  I went to the gym and camped out on the standing calf raise and started out real heavy, would fail and drop the wieght a little and go again  and so on and so forth down to about 30lbs then I did BW raises until I couldn't move my calfs, I'd rest for a few minuts and go again till I got 4 cycles.  I couldn't walk right for about a week and-I think, I dont' really remember-my calfs actually bruised from this, they were so swollen it was scarey.  I dont' think they actually grew from this.

best calve workouts-dc style, heavy as hell.  nothing I've ever done has made my calves grow any better and I've been trying for years to get my calfs to grow.

I do my calves DC style too but I add a straight set or two after and this is the only way my calves grow.

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2007, 07:16:49 PM »
I just did 2 sets with 700 pounds standing calf raises. 2 out of 16 total sets for calves.
just push some weight!

rccs

• Getbig IV
  • Alma Matter!
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2007, 04:06:06 AM »
I dont even need to have a brutal calf workout, i train them only twice, three times a month. They are 18-19 inches easy, and have been since highschool.
Lucky bastard!!!!
S

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2007, 05:27:16 PM »
Your most brutal calf workout is going to be the next one you do on leg day. The one your took time to plan out. The one where you cause so much self crippling pain, you curse you mother for being born. And the next calf day workout, after tha, is going to be even harder. No more excuses, no more sissy calf workouts. Taping those 18-19"ers, stone cold, will make it all worth while. Good Luck.
F