Author Topic: Dems Eager to Put Stamp on New Congress  (Read 2792 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Dems Eager to Put Stamp on New Congress
« on: January 01, 2007, 06:04:25 PM »
Some sounds good (ethics rules, 911 Commission recommendations).  But why am I not surprised they intend to pick up with their traditional tax and spend ways?

Dems Eager to Put Stamp on New Congress

By JIM ABRAMS
Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Democrats savoring a return from political wilderness are ready to move quickly this week to take the levers of power in a Congress that has been run by Republicans the last 12 years.

On Thursday, Nancy Pelosi will take the gavel as the first woman speaker in the history of the House, and immediately launch a 100 legislative-hour march to quickly put the Democratic stamp on the new Congress.

Before President Bush arrives on Capitol Hill on Jan. 23 for his State of the Union address, House Democrats intend to update ethics rules, raise the minimum wage, implement 9/11 Commission recommendations, cut subsidies to the oil industry, promote stem cell research and make college educations and prescription drugs more affordable.

"Democrats are prepared to govern and ready to lead," said Pelosi, a Californian.

On the first day back, Democrats plan to change House rules on what members can accept from lobbyists. On the second day they'll vote on other rules changes requiring that new spending or tax cuts be paid for and that pet projects tucked into larger bills be publicly disclosed. . . .

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/D/DEMOCRATIC_CONGRESS?SITE=HIHAD&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Dems Eager to Put Stamp on New Congress
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 06:15:47 PM »
1.  update ethics rules

2.  raise the minimum wage

3.  implement 9/11 Commission recommendations

4.  cut subsidies to the oil industry

5.  promote stem cell research

6.  make college educations and prescription drugs more affordable.

7.  change House rules on what members can accept from lobbyists.

8.  require that new spending or tax cuts be paid for and that

9.  pet projects tucked into larger bills be publicly disclosed

Beach Bum, which of the 9 tasks they plan, do you consider bad, and why?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 06:24:12 PM »
I am opposed to a federally mandated increase in the minimum wage.  I posted my opinions on that subject in the minimum wage thread. 

Cutting subsidies to the oil industry?  Don't know enough about this, but sounds like pure politics.  Although I consider the gas companies a cabal, I'd be more excited about cutting subsidies to the tobacco industry. 

Making college educations and prescription drugs more affordable sounds like code words for increased taxes and federal government regulation.  What are they going to do, force colleges to lower tuition?  Not that I'd be opposed to that (kidding). 

Other than that, I don't know enough about what they're proposing to have an informed opinion. 

What should be at the top of their agenda is the following:

1.  Dems plan for the one issue that got them back into the majority:  Iraq.

2.  Decreasing the tax burden on all Americans.

3.  Balancing the budget and reducing our national debt.

I wish I knew how to post the cricket picture. . . .

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2007, 06:44:12 PM »
I am opposed to a federally mandated increase in the minimum wage.  I posted my opinions on that subject in the minimum wage thread. 

I agree with ya on that one.

Cutting subsidies to the oil industry?  Don't know enough about this, but sounds like pure politics.  Although I consider the gas companies a cabal, I'd be more excited about cutting subsidies to the tobacco industry. 

Tobacco might be more evil.  But oil is WAY more dollars.  I didn't see PhilMorris making $10 BILLION new income in one quarter in 2006 - but exxonMobil did.  I seriously don't think ExxonM needs any more subsidies.  They're doing just fine ;)

Making college educations and prescription drugs more affordable sounds like code words for increased taxes and federal government regulation.  What are they going to do, force colleges to lower tuition?  Not that I'd be opposed to that (kidding). 

No - increase pell grants and subsidize schools who lower rates.  Our education system is bad and getting worse compared to a now connected world.  Gonna be awful hard to turn around when we're in terrible shape and don't have enough educated people to be teachers when we do finally decide to turn it around.

What should be at the top of their agenda is the following:

1.  Dems plan for the one issue that got them back into the majority:  Iraq.

2.  Decreasing the tax burden on all Americans.

3.  Balancing the budget and reducing our national debt.

Agree on 1 and 3.  I don't see how we fix this economy without raising tazes.  Seriously.  Bush has done ONE thing to the economy since taking office - borrowed money for war.  And you can't borrow forever...

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2007, 07:46:15 PM »

Tobacco might be more evil.  But oil is WAY more dollars.  I didn't see PhilMorris making $10 BILLION new income in one quarter in 2006 - but exxonMobil did.  I seriously don't think ExxonM needs any more subsidies.  They're doing just fine ;)

No - increase pell grants and subsidize schools who lower rates.  Our education system is bad and getting worse compared to a now connected world.  Gonna be awful hard to turn around when we're in terrible shape and don't have enough educated people to be teachers when we do finally decide to turn it around.

Agree on 1 and 3.  I don't see how we fix this economy without raising tazes.  Seriously.  Bush has done ONE thing to the economy since taking office - borrowed money for war.  And you can't borrow forever...

I have never seen a comparison between oil and tobacco, but I think the cost in terms of healthcare and death from tobacco-related illnesses is probably greater than the cost of increased gas caused by the oil cabal.  The tobacco companies are responsible for over 400,000 deaths a year in the U.S. and probably billions in healthcare costs. 

Increasing pell grants and subsidizing schools = higher taxes.  That doesn't bother you, but it irks me to no end. 

Raising taxes isn't the only answer.  It's the liberal answer to basically everything.  We eliminated our budget deficit in Hawaii without raising taxes.  Our Republican governor made a pledge not to raise taxes and kept it (for the most part).  She sort of rolled over on a marginal increase in the general excise tax, but she essentially balanced our budget without raising taxes.  Of course it can be done.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2007, 07:51:14 PM »
I have never seen a comparison between oil and tobacco, but I think the cost in terms of healthcare and death from tobacco-related illnesses is probably greater than the cost of increased gas caused by the oil cabal.  The tobacco companies are responsible for over 400,000 deaths a year in the U.S. and probably billions in healthcare costs. 

OIL: 655,000
Tobacco: 400,000

Advantage: OIL

;)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2007, 08:14:29 PM »
OIL: 655,000
Tobacco: 400,000

Advantage: OIL

;)

Even if we were to accept that we went to war for the benefit of American oil companies and that the inflated figures of collateral damage are accurate (neither of which are true), tobacco companies kill over 400,000 PER YEAR in the U.S. alone.  The worldwide figures, PER YEAR, are astronomical. 

sandycoosworth

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2007, 10:04:39 PM »
  But why am I not surprised they intend to pick up with their traditional tax and spend ways?

because you have the political acumen of your average 15 year old ;D

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2007, 10:10:33 PM »
because you have the political acumen of your average 15 year old ;D

Nah.  I'd say 16.  Easy. 

You just might be a liberal.   :)  It's okay.  You're not all bad.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2007, 03:23:41 PM »

Can't we fix many of our problems by reforming the way we spend our tax dollars?

For example:  Warren Buffet manages his multi-billion dollar company with basically a 11 person staff that replaces where most companies would use 100's. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2007, 03:32:50 PM »
Can't we fix many of our problems by reforming the way we spend our tax dollars?

Of course.  Cut 1/3 of the programs and bolster the other 2/3.  Absolutely.

But they won't.  When oil and tobacco are getting subsidies and schools are not... well... you cannot blame the "damn liberals" for that when the repubs have owned congress.