Author Topic: Who stretches?  (Read 1495 times)

tweeter

• Getbig IV
Who stretches?
« on: January 03, 2007, 09:37:26 PM »
Do you guys stretch much before, during, or after your workouts? I always stretch my calves out while I am working them out but thats about it.

rs3000

• Getbig II
Re: Who stretches?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 10:34:11 PM »
Stretching is pointless

quembrulet

• Getbig II
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 10:38:14 PM »
Stretching is pointless

What would make you say that?

rs3000

• Getbig II
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 10:41:54 PM »
What would make you say that?

Well it's pointless in terms of weight lifting. If you lift weights properly you won't tear your muscles or harm them in any way.

With proper weight training, you will at least maintain, but most likely increase your range of motion.

Knowledge

• Getbig II
  • Don't hate me cause you ain't me
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 10:43:16 PM »
There has been recent research that says stretching can/will decrease force production.  How does weight training increase range of motion? I disagree there, I think it depends on your goals during weight training... training for size, strength, etc. etc..

rs3000

• Getbig II
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 10:46:16 PM »
There has been recent research that says stretching can/will decrease force production.  How does weight training increase range of motion? I disagree there, I think it depends on your goals during weight training... training for size, strength, etc. etc..

No if you weight train properly you CAN increase your range of motion. I didn't say that increasing your range of motion is the PURPOSE of weight training (the purpose is getting more muscle) but it can also have a "side effect" (if you want to call it that) of increasing your range of motion.

The point is, stretching is pointless for bodybuilding purposes.

Knowledge

• Getbig II
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 10:53:04 PM »
I see your point...I guess if applying the SAID principle anything is possible through weight training.

rs3000

• Getbig II
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2007, 10:54:44 PM »
I see your point...I guess if applying the SAID principle anything is possible through weight training.

That was an illogical statement.

Knowledge

• Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2007, 10:58:26 PM »
Specific adaptation to Imposed Demands.... The imposed demand or "stress" being applied we will assume is the weights during weight lifting. The Stress will be specific to type of adaptation desired; for this case we are talking about ROM.  How is that illogical??

BuffGoddess

• Competitors
  • Getbig III
  • Failure is not an option, train hard, get big.
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2007, 11:29:22 PM »
In my experience I have found that stretching before lifting decreases your power. I always stretch the bodypart I worked, the next day. Well actually my trainer stretches me with the Active Isolated Stretching technique. Way cool stuff, I have learned how to do it too. You feel like a puddle of Jello after it's all done and any pain you had before is all gone. Important for me because I have Fibromyalgia. Okay, I guess way too much information... ;D

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2007, 11:44:01 PM »
all the time.  Stretching opens capallaries and increases blood flow.  I get to 145 degrees on the Pro Stretch and everyone can't believe it.  It is very good for you.

quembrulet

• Getbig II
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2007, 11:46:37 PM »
all the time.  Stretching opens capallaries and increases blood flow.  I get to 145 degrees on the Pro Stretch and everyone can't believe it.  It is very good for you.

I'd have to agree with this.  I feel better when i stretch compared to when i don't. 

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2007, 11:50:44 PM »
I feel like shit when I don't stretch.

pobrecito

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2007, 11:56:28 PM »
Never.

BuffGoddess

• Competitors
  • Getbig III
  • Failure is not an option, train hard, get big.
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2007, 12:01:33 AM »
Enlighten me on what exactly the Pro Stretch is??? I have to rely on my trainer

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2007, 02:16:13 AM »
Do you guys stretch much before, during, or after your workouts?

Just the last two, mainly.