Author Topic: Sergio Oliva Article - Musclemag July 1981  (Read 15720 times)

Sergio Rules 77

• Getbig III
  • Sergio can split the atom. With his bare hands.
Sergio Oliva Article - Musclemag July 1981
« on: January 04, 2007, 03:14:22 AM »
This article from the July '81 issue of Musclemag focuses on Sergio defeating Bertil Fox at the 1980 WABBA World Championship in France. This was the show where Sergio's legendary victory pose photo was taken.

SERGIO!!!!
Ugh, my retirement grease

Sergio Rules 77

• Getbig III
Re: Sergio Oliva Article - Musclemag July 1981
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 03:17:37 AM »
No 2

Sergio Rules 77

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 03:23:50 AM »
No 3

Sergio Rules 77

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 03:26:32 AM »
No 4

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007, 05:47:45 AM »
WOW  :o   Sergio is the man!!!!!!!
X

Iceman1981

• Getbig V
  • www.LegendsOfBodybuilding.com
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007, 09:10:29 AM »
Great articles and pics. Thanks.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2007, 06:12:10 AM »
What i remember about that show was how close Bertil was to Sergio, closer than anyone else.

As far as the victory pose, Sergio's most famous victory shot was from 1972.

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
  • Thought is the arrow of time; memory never fades.
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2007, 06:45:16 AM »
bertil had a rugged physique but was too narrow...specially compared to oliva.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2007, 06:48:07 AM »
bertil had a rugged physique but was too narrow...specially compared to oliva.

That's only one aspect, amongst many. It was closer than it would have been against anyone else on the planet at that time, & they were remarkably similar in various ways, which is what made it interesting. Fox's conditioning was a little better than Oliva's at the time.

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2007, 06:58:49 AM »
That's only one aspect, amongst many. Fox's conditioning was a little better than Oliva's, which is what made it an interesting contest back in the day. It was closer than it would have been against anyone else on the planet, which is confirmed with bigger pics.

no, there where others who where better than bertil ...take for example 1983 mr o...some people complain that bertil should have been higher than 5th..but in reality if you watch footage from the show you see that bertil was narrow and hadnt the best structure. he was very strong and had thick chest and arms but lacked the total package and the flow to his physique. also remember sergio wasnt at his best in 81.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2007, 07:08:09 AM »
I never said Sergio was in his best condition, no idea why you think you have to remind anyone.

As far as placings, you're a little naive. Like some others here on getbig, your blind faith in placings as an accurate measure is laughable when in fact the contests were clearly influenced by politics, especially the Weider shows. Can i sell you some stock?

The late 70s, early 80s in particular were rife with questionable decisions, which is exactly why both of those guys as well as Szkalak and Robinson were in that contest and others like it instead of winning Olympias over relatively inferior BBs like Columbu & Zane. And exactly why most of the top BBs left the IFBB around that time, or retired, like Padilla & Mentzer.

They disagreed with the veracity of contest decisions you put so much faith in.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2007, 08:16:03 AM »
I never said Sergio was in his best condition, no idea why you think you have to remind anyone.

As far as placings, you're a little naive. Like some others here on getbig, your blind faith in placings as an accurate measure is laughable when in fact the contests were clearly influenced by politics, especially the Weider shows. Can i sell you some stock?

The late 70s, early 80s in particular were rife with questionable decisions, which is exactly why both of those guys as well as Szkalak and Robinson were in that contest and others like it instead of winning Olympias over relatively inferior BBs like Columbu & Zane. And exactly why most of the top BBs left the IFBB around that time, or retired, like Padilla & Mentzer.

More conspiracy theories from Pumpster, you're starting to sound more and more like 240!
Maybe we should make a conspiracy board where you guys can go back and forth about the 9-11 and "fixed" Weider shows  ::)
Z

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2007, 08:22:56 AM »

lol naive.? im far from naive .i know very well that often you had suck a dick to place high but i dont feel bertil was good enough to win any competitions if he faced any top class competitors.

also bodybuilding competitions are uninteresting in my opinion.so i dont give a shit what the placings where..that being said...as brutal as fox was he never had the best of structures.

robinson, sergio, nubret and others where better than him

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2007, 08:50:02 AM »

robinson, sergio, nubret and others where better than him

Subjective; at that level it really comes down more to personal preference more than anything. Other than Oliva none of those top guys won the Olympia, which is absurd. Debases any effort to put faith in contest placings.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2007, 09:18:05 AM »
Subjective; at that level it really comes down more to personal preference more than anything. Other than Oliva none of those top guys won the Olympia, which is absurd. Debases any effort to put faith in contest placings.

Nothing absurd about it. Only according to your personal preference.
Z

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2007, 09:29:59 AM »
i got that issue in an old variety pack that i ordered out of Musclemag around 1995 or so.

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2007, 05:39:00 PM »
Great article I wish they would focus on Sergio's training though.
just push some weight!

Sergio Rules 77

• Getbig III
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2007, 10:09:53 PM »
Great article I wish they would focus on Sergio's training though.

Don't worry Alexxx, I have plenty of Sergio training articles, they're coming soon.

SERGIO!!!!

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2007, 09:03:35 AM »
Don't worry Alexxx, I have plenty of Sergio training articles, they're coming soon.

SERGIO!!!!

Great I am looking forward to them!
just push some weight!

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2007, 12:20:59 AM »
Could have gone either way from the pics. Both had an insane front lat spread. Thanks for the pics.

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2007, 05:45:03 AM »
Could have gone either way from the pics. Both had an insane front lat spread. Thanks for the pics.

i think sergio made bertil look like a boy in the front and rear lat spread, but i agree with pumpster, bertil was harder and in better condition.

sergio was a freak in shape and mass.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2007, 11:49:25 AM »
I only saw Sergio with clothes on in the gym.  I never seen him train.  He was very big to me back then.  But I have seen Bertil train, talked to him and stared at him everytime he was in.  And Bertil was ENORMOUS.  He wasn't human to me.  He was easily the strongest in the gym.  Some guys squatted more and others probably benched more (didn't see it) but all round strength Bertil was unreal.  And his size was so impressive.  I will never ever forget the first day in the gym when he came in.  He was a god.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2007, 12:39:46 PM »
i think sergio made bertil look like a boy in the front and rear lat spread
sergio was a freak in shape and mass.

Onlyme's the only other one here who gets it, doesn't confuse perception with reality. Part of the problem now is the fact that the many great BBs back then who were never allowed to win have been diminished over time. Robinson, Fox, Padilla to name a few were absolutely phenomenal, second to no one. They were not inferior to the Olympia winners of the era, were in fact better. Most of the divergence from this reality is pure revisionism after the fact. Szkalak & Mentzer as well were almost as great.

In many of the poses they were comparable. In some, one or the other had the edge, so to say Oliva had the edge in a particular pose is only part of the equation. Sergio did *not* look better than Bertil in a shot like this, for example.

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2007, 06:54:19 PM »
Onlyme's the only other one here who gets it, doesn't confuse perception with reality. Part of the problem now is the fact that the many great BBs back then who were never allowed to win have been diminished over time. Robinson, Fox, Padilla to name a few were absolutely phenomenal, second to no one. They were not inferior to the Olympia winners of the era, were in fact better. Most of the divergence from this reality is pure revisionism after the fact. Szkalak & Mentzer as well were almost as great.

In many of the poses they were comparable. In some, one or the other had the edge, so to say Oliva had the edge in a particular pose is only part of the equation. Sergio did *not* look better than Bertil in a shot like this, for example.

Sergio never did those poses because he didn't have to hide his flaws. He could do any pose and look fantastic in it. Bertil was good but not Sergio good.
just push some weight!

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2007, 06:58:13 PM »
Here is the closest shot to that and that was before Sergio's prime.
just push some weight!