Author Topic: Help on Freezing meals  (Read 2025 times)

windsor88

• Getbig IV
  • Victim of the Drug War
Help on Freezing meals
« on: January 04, 2007, 11:43:26 PM »
Hope this is a good place to ask.

I am sick of cooking and would like to cook one time a week and freeze everything so I can just reheat in the microwave.
Just curious to what you all might use.  Ziplock baggies or tupperware?

I am doing nothing special just chicken or Turkey, green beans, corn, brown rice.  Potato I suppose would be better left unfrozen.

I had an idea of a paperplate already portioned out and put in a Ziploc Freezer bag. Does this sound like a winner?

well...just wanted to see what everyone else does. 

Thanks

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
Re: Help on Freezing meals
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 12:19:25 AM »
I'd be interested to know as well.

I should start doing this.

Princess L.....................?         :)
S

darksol

• Getbig III
  • ProSportNutrition.net
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 12:39:50 AM »
I don't know things like Eggs and tuna ( the stable of my diet ) I feel are better fresh than frozen and reheated.  but the thing you desribed ( especially chicken ) is pretty good when frozen and reheated. 

Tier

• Getbig III
  • Lift light with sloppy form
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 12:54:43 AM »
meats a piece of cake to freeze etc never tried freezing brown rice tho after cooked...

windsor88

• Getbig IV
  • Victim of the Drug War
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 01:57:02 AM »
I know I could vaccum seal it with those expensive machines but that sucks.  I was worried about freezer burn really.  I would hate to ruin a weeks worth of food.

nah I am not Princess L...seen her posts though. ;)

smblkolds

• Getbig II
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 05:28:26 AM »
If you get most of the air out of the bags, they probably won't freezer burn in a weeks time.

dovidov

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2007, 05:53:26 AM »
tuppwear/ zip locks are fine- can't everything just stay refrigerated instead of frozen? i think most should keep for only a week-

Tier

• Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2007, 03:40:56 PM »
apparently brown rice in the fridge should only be 24 hours or something , i know its not long  >:(

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2007, 04:01:48 PM »
I know I could vaccum seal it with those expensive machines but that sucks.  I was worried about freezer burn really.  I would hate to ruin a weeks worth of food.

nah I am not Princess L...seen her posts though. ;)

Oh I know, I was just saying it like "Princes L.............. PLEASE HELP US" LOL
S

windsor88

• Getbig IV
  • Victim of the Drug War
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2007, 04:39:11 PM »
apparently brown rice in the fridge should only be 24 hours or something , i know its not long  >:(

I found this

Cooked brown rice can be stored, covered tightly, in a shallow container in the refrigerator for up to 7 days or in the freezer for 6 months according to the USA Rice Federation. After cooked rice has cooled in the refrigerator, transfer it to plastic freezer bags in quantities needed for future meals. Label with the date and quantity.

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2007, 05:08:13 PM »
I cook several chicken breasts at one time.  I usually keep them in the fridge until I am ready to eat them but you can also cook them, slice them and freeze them in separate portions and then thaw/heat in the microwave and eat.  This would work for turkey also.

If you must cook fresh green beans and corn, I'm not sure about the freezing process.  You can, however, purchase frozen green beans and also frozen corn on the cob which shouldn't have much stuff (preservatives/sodium) added to them.  When I was dieting, toward the end of my diet, I ate low sodium green beans from a can.  Not bad! 

Also, you didn't ask about eggs, but I hard boil a huge batch, refridgerate them and then eat the whites as needed until they are gone and repeat the process.  When I was dieting I ate about 12 a day.

R

Tier

• Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2007, 05:26:40 PM »
STella ! you reminded me , how long can u have these boiled eggs refrigerated for dude?  :)

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2007, 06:02:29 PM »
STella ! you reminded me , how long can u have these boiled eggs refrigerated for dude?  :)
My guess would be around a week.  I usually consume all mine before that time though.
R

Tier

• Getbig III
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2007, 06:44:23 PM »
instant egg whites , yeah perfect to have on hand in these hard times of dieting  :) since i can't have whey and like to keep costs down i buy about 5 trays a week.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2007, 06:59:23 PM »
STella's got the right idea.  She's a domestic godess  ;D

Hope this is a good place to ask.

I am sick of cooking and would like to cook one time a week and freeze everything so I can just reheat in the microwave.
Just curious to what you all might use.  Ziplock baggies or tupperware?

I am doing nothing special just chicken or Turkey, green beans, corn, brown rice.  Potato I suppose would be better left unfrozen.

I had an idea of a paperplate already portioned out and put in a Ziploc Freezer bag. Does this sound like a winner?
well...just wanted to see what everyone else does. 

Thanks

I always cook a weeks worth of rice and keep it in the fridge.  Oatmeal I freeze in small containers cuz I make a months worth at a time.  Chicken freezes fine, but I don't like the texture after it's reheated.  Keeping a weeks worth in the fridge is not a problem.  Eggs in any form do not freeze well IMO.  I usually make 3 days worth of breakfasts and keep in the fridge. 

Everyone I've ever talked to about those vacumn sealers LOVES them.  I haven't been able to bring myself to purchase one - plus then you have to buy the special bags and that gets expensive too.  The only things I freeze in large quantities (other than the oatmeal) is fresh strawberries, blueberries, sugar snap peas, green beans, etc. which I "pick-my-own" when in season.

If you get most of the air out of the bags, they probably won't freezer burn in a weeks time.

That's correct
:

Tier

• Getbig III
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2007, 09:08:03 PM »
hmmm with the rice do u store that in one large amount or bag each 'serving'....like how would u know how much to grab cos once rice is cooked its weight can be all over the show depending on how much water was absorbed.......right?  ???

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2007, 04:41:56 AM »
For chicken breats, I usually cook it, put it in a tupperware container in the fridge for 3-4 days, and then start all over again.