Author Topic: Top 10 food choices to optimize results from training  (Read 2831 times)

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
Top 10 food choices to optimize results from training
« on: January 08, 2007, 04:53:51 AM »
by Paul Cribb, B.H.Sci HMS
AST Director of Research

Apples: A great source of pectin; a natural fiber that is essential to healthy regulation of blood fats and cholesterol profiles. However, this material also helps stabilize blood glucose (and insulin) levels. For bodybuilders, stable blood glucose and insulin levels are essential to maintaining the anabolic drive. That is, promoting muscle anabolism (growth) and fat loss at the same time. Apples are also a good source of natural vitamin C, an antioxidant that protects cells from damage. In turn, vitamin C also aids in the absorption of iron and folate; two essential nutrients for optimum energy production. A few slices of apple throughout the day is a great, nutritious tasty snack that helps you reach your physique goals.

Broccoli: All vegetables should be on this list as they are packed with unique elements that are essential to optimum nutrition. However, I’ve singled out broccoli as it probably provides more benefits than most others. Besides providing the diet with a wealth of bioavailable vitamins and minerals (such as beta-carotene, calcium, potassium, folate and natural fiber), this vegetable contains a spectrum of phytonutrients. These are unique plant-derived compounds (phytochemicals and polyphenols) that scientists are only just starting to understand the powerful benefits of.

These compounds help improve insulin sensitivity of muscle, promote efficient heart function under the stress of exercise, and provide a spectrum of antioxidants that protect against excessive cellular damage caused by intense training programs. Broccoli is one food you can never get too much of.

Blueberries: If you want to live a long, disease-free life, blueberries should be a stable of your diet. Blueberries contain a rich in a spectrum of nutrients and low in calories. The potency of the antioxidants and phytonutrients contained within this fruit are much higher than others. The underlying benefit of blueberries is their research-proven effects on brain function. In particular, memory, cognition and protection against deterioration. Remember, it doesn’t matter how chiseled your physique is, unless the “grey matter” is working properly, you’re nothing but a large, hairy bag of protein soup!

Beans: All varieties (such as red, pinto, black and kidney), are an excellent low-fat source of key minerals such as copper, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium and the B-group vitamins. More than any other food, legumes provide the right fiber that is highly important to the goals of athletes such as bodybuilders. Firstly, after consumption, the fiber from beans swells in the intestine, making a person feel more satisfied from the meal (a god-send for people like bodybuilders that follow calorie-restricted diets).

Secondly, digestion and processing of these legumes burns a lot of calories. This response helps to keep the metabolism elevated and ensure fat-burning potential is at its peak. Aside from all these benefits, a diet rich in legumes is consistently shown to lower bad cholesterol and protect against heart disease. The health benefits from beans make for a great excuse to indulge in Mexican food!

Low fat, protein-rich dairy foods: A substantial amount of scientific research has accumulated over recent years that support a rather unlikely concept. The intake of dairy calcium has a profound influence on how easily an individual gains or sheds body fat. A high intake of dairy-based calcium not only protects against body fat accumulation, it enables a person to utilize (burn) more fat for energy. The best source of calcium that provides this beneficial effect on fat metabolism is low-fat, protein-rich dairy foods. Foods such as skim milk, low-fat yogurt and cottage cheese fall into this category.

Lean red meat: To build muscle, strength and recover from tough workouts, you just can’t go past lean red meat. In the past, I’ve tried to minimize or even eliminate red meat from my diet. However, every time I go back to regular consumption (3 servings a week) of lean red meat my body loves me for it. I not only feel better, my results from training are as different as night and day. If you chose to avoid red meat, unfortunately I think you’ll be knee-capping your potential as an athlete. Without red meat in the diet, I think it’s virtually impossible to achieve optimum nutrition.

However, I live in Australia, a region that has the best quality meat in the world. If you know the right butcher, less than 10 bucks will buy you a lean, succulent rib-eye or t-bone that’s as thick as a phone book and as large as a small dinner plate. One bite would make an Archbishop kick a hole in a stain glass window! Yep, it’s that good.

Olive oil: The bioactive properties of olive oil have only been recently confirmed in research. Olive oil lowers blood pressure, improves blood cholesterol and promotes efficent fat metabolsim. These benefits are due to their phenolics; plant-based chemicals that provide powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects. Additionally, olive oil promotes better fat metabolism via the mitochondria in cells by helping to release energy as heat.

According to the latest research on this topic, processed olive oils don’t seem to contain the bioactive phenolics. However, virgin and extra virgin olive oils contain an abundance of these valuable compounds. So be sure the olive oil you use every day is virgin or extra virgin oil.

Salmon: I’ve listed this particular fish, however other cold water fish such as sardines and tuna are just as good. If you consume a protein-rich diet, make sure that the protein is a nutritious as possible. These fish are not only a good source of protein, they are a fair source of omega-3 fatty acids, which I believe are a key aspect of optimum nutrition for all athletes. The benefits of omega-3 are probably most pertinent to bodybuilders. These essential fats are shown to reduce inflammation, enhance fat utilization during exercise and block the major pathway of muscle breakdown. I don't think a bodybuilder can meet their omega-3 requirements only from food, but ensuring fish is a big part of your protein intake is a good start. If possible, choose the wild varieties of these types of fish, they are less likely to contain pollutants and unwanted chemicals.

Sweet potatoes: The deep orange-yellow color of sweet potatoes tells you that they're nutrition packed. Sweet potatoes are high in beta-carotene and vitamin C, B-6, B12 and potassium. This vegetable is delicious when baked. Its virtually fat-free and low in calories. Ditch the pale traditional spud for the power-packed sweet potato and reap the benefits.

Tomato juice: Great source of lycopene, an antioxidant that has a close association with reducing fatigue. Lycopene also provides strong protection against heart disease and certain types of cancer. I don't advocate drinking a lot of juice as it's easy to exceed your calorie intake for getting and staying lean. However, a 200-250ml serving of tomato juice each day is the equivalent of nature's power-packed vitamin supplement. Fresh is best but some of the tinned varieties are also very good.

Water: Technically water is not a food but it is a nutrient (that’s why it comes in at number 11). However make no mistake, for peak performance your body needs water and lots of it. Aside from ensuring hydration to promote better digestion and assimilation of nutrients, there is no doubt that drinking more water will enhance fat loss.

Results of a recent study have shown that drinking 500 milliliters of water can increase the metabolic rate by 30%! The increase occurred within 10 minutes of consumption and reached a maximum after 30 to 40 minutes. Drinking water increases thermogenesis (calories expended via heat). About 40% of the thermogenic effect originates from the body warming the water from room temperature to body temperature. Drinking 2 liters of water per day would augment energy expenditure by approximately 100 calories. If you’re on a calorie-restricted diet, this amount will definitely add up as weeks go by to ensure better fat loss results.

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
Re: Top 10 food choices to optimize results from training
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 08:27:47 AM »
Very good list.  Here is a similar list from Testoserone Nation entitled "Power Foods The Magic 13", http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=867137

(the article is a little long to block copy here, so I provide the list only- the article explains the basis for each selection)

1.  Brocolli
2.  Wild salmon
3.  Grass fed beef
4.  Walnuts
5.  Olive oil
6.  Blueberries
7.  Flaxseeds
8.  Pumpkin
9.  Spinach
10. Tomatoes
11. Turkey breast
12. Yogurt
13. Shiitake mushrooms

*For purposes of comparison, I have highlighted the foods which appear both on the list posted by Loco and the Testosterone Nation list.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 08:33:31 AM »
Very good list.  Here is a similar list from Testoserone Nation entitled "Power Foods The Magic 13", http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=867137
(the article is a little long to block copy here, so I provide the list only- the article explains the basis for each selection:

1.  Brocolli
2.  Wild salmon
3.  Grass fed beef
4.  Walnuts
5.  Olive oil
6.  Blueberries
7.  Flaxseeds
8.  Pumpkin
9.  Spinach
10. Tomatoes
11. Turkey breast
12. Yogurt
13. Shiitake mushrooms

*For purposes of comparison, I have highlighted the foods which appear both on the list posted by Loco and the Testosterone Nation list.

Thanks Rambo!  These also appear on both lists

3.  Grass fed beef
6.  Blueberries
12. Yogurt

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 08:36:57 AM »
Oops. Thanks for the correction.  I went back and modified my prior post.  I hope the correlation was useful. 

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 08:39:17 AM »
Oops. Thanks for the correction.  I hope the correlation was useful.

It is.

Tier

• Getbig III
  • Lift light with sloppy form
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 12:09:37 PM »
Excellent , i love posts like these , gives a lil more faith in the foods we 'have' to eat for optimum results  :)

......wonder how TA is going with his donuts and icecream

SuperMike3288

• Getbig III
  • Up, up, and away!
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007, 01:44:44 PM »
Good list but hard to follow for a freshmen away at college!
Intensity; the measure of man

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2007, 01:52:56 PM »
Good list but hard to follow for a freshmen away at college!

Granted, when I was in college I wasn't as motivated but a small fridge instead of keeping beer can be used to keep vegetables such as brocolli and blueberries and yogurt fresh.  Pre-cooked turkey breast can also be purchased at the local market and refrigerated. Walnuts keep very well on their own.  Olive oil has a decent shelf life.  Salmon can be purchased in cans (while not as tasteful) or an occasional splurge at a sea food restaurant.

Eating the above before you head to the campus cafeteria just may help you avoid grabbing that slice of pizza or helping of fettucini alfredo.  Good luck.

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2007, 10:53:04 AM »
Based mainly on Loco's list and the T-Nation list, I put together the following list of foods which, although they do not fit into my regular daily diet, I will resolve to get in at least once per week (better than not at all, right?)

Here is the checklist I plan on using:

Almonds________
Apple_____
Blueberries_____
Black Beans_____
Grapefruit_____
Green Tea_____
Mushrooms (shiitake)_____
Olive Oil (extra virgin)_____
Oolong Tea____
Spinach _____
Sweet Potato_____
Walnuts_____
Tomatoes (cooked)_____
Yogurt (low fat)__

Aeternitatis

• Getbig II
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2007, 12:39:07 PM »
With the mushrooms, be sure to lightly cook them, it helps free up the nutrients.

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2007, 10:56:19 AM »
With the mushrooms, be sure to lightly cook them, it helps free up the nutrients.

Thanks for the tip.  Any source on that you'd like to refer us to?

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2007, 11:07:21 AM »
Good foods for health no doubt, but I doubt they will affect training results that much.
Z

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2007, 11:11:56 AM »
Good foods for health no doubt, but I doubt they will affect training results that much.

I'm not a competitor, so I don't mind throwing a little good general health my way.  Besides, aren't at least some of the foods training-oriented (salmon, turkey breast, beef, yogurt?)

Aeternitatis

• Getbig II
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2007, 03:01:24 PM »
Thanks for the tip.  Any source on that you'd like to refer us to?
No, can't find it. I just remember reading that the glyconutrients in mushrooms become more bioavailable after being lightly cooked. It's like garlic... it's health benefits get released after it is crushed and exposed to air.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2007, 03:29:10 PM »
I'm not a competitor, so I don't mind throwing a little good general health my way.  Besides, aren't at least some of the foods training-oriented (salmon, turkey breast, beef, yogurt?)

Yeah I don't mind the list.
Z

24Hourpro

• Getbig III
  • Its hard to be humble when you're huge.
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2007, 09:32:54 PM »
#1 choice for increasing strength.

Lean red meat
ironmass.com

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2007, 09:56:38 AM »

(the article is a little long to block copy here, so I provide the list only- the article explains the basis for each selection)

1.  Brocolli
2.  Wild salmon
3.  Grass fed beef
4.  Walnuts
5.  Olive oil
6.  Blueberries
7.  Flaxseeds
8.  Pumpkin
9.  Spinach
10. Tomatoes
11. Turkey breast
12. Yogurt
13. Shiitake mushrooms

good list.

Aeternitatis

• Getbig II
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2007, 01:48:05 PM »
So what kind of experience do you guys have with whole food supplements? I'm talking about stuff like spirulina and all those fancy green things.

For example, Perfect Food by Garden of Life seems like it could be a really healthy whole food supplement. I've read a lot of info on it and it is quite intriguing.

And dare I mention Goji berries? The info on them is also fascinating. And with Earl Mindell's recent "stamp of approval" on the fruit, it makes me doubly interested. Since the bushes themsleves grow well in almost any environment, I was thinking of getting 2-3 and just growing them myself. I would imagine that fresh goji berries from one's garden would have huge potential to improve overall health and recovery.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2007, 07:01:00 PM »
So what kind of experience do you guys have with whole food supplements?

This company is bases everything in whole food.  Very interesting reading.  You can't get their products just anywhere, it must be through a health practitioner.  Their products are top notch.
http://www.standardprocess.com/index.asp
:

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2007, 07:41:16 PM »

This company is bases everything in whole food.  Very interesting reading.  You can't get their products just anywhere, it must be through a health practitioner.  Their products are top notch.
http://www.standardprocess.com/index.asp

Many chiropractors carry this brand.
My former chiro. recommended I try SP’s Ligaplex. It works like glucosamine, but targets the repair of ligaments as opposed to joints.

The price was rather steep, and I experienced no noticeable benefits from it (I DID use the entire supply as directed). So I never bought or used it again.
When I asked my current chiropractor about Ligaplex he informed that he feels many of their products are overpriced and, in some cases, over-hyped.