Author Topic: Inouye believes Obama’s too early  (Read 1501 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Inouye believes Obama’s too early
« on: January 08, 2007, 07:38:18 AM »
Not surprised at all that Inouye supports Hillary. 

Inouye believes Obama’s too early
Clinton is in the best position to run for the White House, the Hawaii leader says

By Richard Borreca
rborreca@starbulletin.com
Hawaii's senior senator, Daniel Inouye, says it is too soon for Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., to run for president.

Inouye, 82, who has served in the Senate since 1963, is the third most senior member of the Senate and is considered a national leader of the Democratic Party.

Asked in an interview last week about Obama, Inouye said that while the 46-year-old former state senator is smart and hard working, he does not have the experience for a presidential campaign.

Inouye said the Democrats have several current and former members of the Senate who would be good candidates, including Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-N.Y., and former Sen. John Edwards. "They also say Barack Obama, but he should wait."

"He has been in the Senate for, what, two years. You can almost anticipate what they are going to do with him. It is always predictable. Someone is always digging up dirt.

"They will dig up everything, even traffic tags, the whole works," Inouye warned.

"He has a good reputation," Inouye said of Obama. "He works hard, but his work would be effected by whatever plans he makes.

"Someone can get away with it like John F. Kennedy did. He just left and started campaigning, but I don't know about (whether) Illinois politics would permit that," Inouye said.
Former state Rep. Brian Schatz, who has been heading the Hawaii campaign requesting Obama to run for president, said "it was much too early to be narrowing the field."

"It is a good sign that the Democrats have three or more exciting candidates to choose from. From Hawaii's perspective we can't lose," Schatz said.

Obama was born in Honolulu and graduated from Punahou School before going to Columbia University and Harvard Law School.

Inouye said it was just too soon to endorse any candidate for president.

"I would like to endorse someone who has indicated that he or she is running for president. In that sense I am a politician," Inouye joked.

Looking at the field of possible candidates today, Inouye said that he would "give you odds that on the Democratic stage, the person in the best position to be nominated is Hillary Clinton, because of her financial resources and organizational resources."

"On the Republican side, it would be (John) McCain (the Arizona Republican senator)," Inouye said.

Last month, U.S. Rep. Neil Abercrombie, D-Hawaii, urged Obama to run.

Abercrombie stopped short of using the word "endorsement" in supporting an Obama candidacy, but said he would back him over other candidates, including Clinton and Edwards.

http://starbulletin.com/2007/01/08/news/story01.html

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
Re: Inouye believes Obama’s too early
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 07:48:42 AM »
The only thing that was to early was the negatives that he did cocaine and marijuana.  Won't carry the same impact as info released during the heat of the campaign.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 10:13:14 AM »
Obama's drug use has been in the public domain for years.  He wrote a book years ago disclosing his drug use.  He will continue to do fine in the polls as long as he doesn't say anything.  Still hasn't defined himself on issues.  That will cut significantly into his poll numbers and end his honeymoon period.     

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 10:36:19 AM »
He hasn't shown much to justify the hype.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 11:33:41 AM »
Obama's drug use has been in the public domain for years.  He wrote a book years ago disclosing his drug use.  He will continue to do fine in the polls as long as he doesn't say anything.  Still hasn't defined himself on issues.  That will cut significantly into his poll numbers and end his honeymoon period.    

agreed.  it's gonna go to a white male, cause that's who gives the cmpaign dollars.  the hilary/obama dog n pony show is just a ruse to get people to support the white guy the dems eventually choose.  "Vote for Edwards/Clark cause they're from the Obama party!" etc etc.

Old_Rooster

• Getbig IV
  • SquadFathers mom gave me a BJ
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 12:48:01 PM »

Why would he have to define himself on any issues?  Kerry or Edwards never did anything other than say I AM NOT GEORGE BUSH, is this not the platform democrats will run on again this time?
Benjamin Pearson-Pedo

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007, 01:31:56 PM »
agreed.  it's gonna go to a white male, cause that's who gives the cmpaign dollars.  the hilary/obama dog n pony show is just a ruse to get people to support the white guy the dems eventually choose.  "Vote for Edwards/Clark cause they're from the Obama party!" etc etc.
240, I heard that it's actually going to be Clinton/Clark for 2008.  This is from my father-in-law, who is back in the political game actively, and has been in the "know" for quite some time. 

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2007, 04:59:38 PM »

Best analysis I've seen on this.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise