Author Topic: Court Gives Ontario Boy Three Parents  (Read 978 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Court Gives Ontario Boy Three Parents
« on: January 08, 2007, 07:40:31 AM »
Confusion reigns.  Crazy Canadians.   :-\

Court Gives Ontario Boy Three Parents
Sunday, January 07, 2007

In an odd but groundbreaking court ruling — involving the definition of a family where same-sex partners are involved — a Canadian court declared a 5-year-old Ontario boy can legally have a father and two mothers, the International Herald Tribune reports.

The child has been raised since birth by his biological mother and her gay partner, who have been together since 1990. The boy's biological father has been involved in his life from the start, but has moved on to another woman and has another child.

This ruling clears the legal relationship between the boy and the newly crowned second mother — if the biological mother unexpectedly dies, the partner maintains custody.

"There's no fragility in my status with him now," she said.

The newly crowned mother said her lack of legal status not only hindered her socially, but prevented her from acting on behalf of the boy with his school or doctors.

The court decision overturns a 2003 ruling, and has been the center of scrutiny by religious and family groups for undermining what they say are traditional definitions of marriage.

The two women had considered adoption, which would have given the partner legal status. However, under Ontario law, it would have stripped the father of his parental status, something the women said would be unfair to the boy.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,242302,00.html

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
Re: Court Gives Ontario Boy Three Parents
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 02:49:56 PM »
Nothing confusing about it. In fact, it has cleared up the confusion. The status of both his custodial parents has been affirmed, without stripping the biological father of his status. That was a 5 min blip over here.
w

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Court Gives Ontario Boy Three Parents
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 04:28:31 PM »
Different viewpoints I guess.  A boy with a father and TWO lesbian mothers.  Sounds pretty confusing to me.  I worry about Canada if something like this is just a "blip."   :-\