Author Topic: FLORIDA GATORS BURY "THE BEST TEAM IN THE COUNTRY" OHIO STATE 41-14!!  (Read 20954 times)

Richard2004

• Getbig IV
  • REAL explosive strength!
Yeah, I know this thread doesn't belong on this forum...but then so MANY other out-of-place threads end up over here on the BB G&O forum and either stay or are  moved...so, why not this one!??

FLORIDA 41 OHIO STATE 14!!!   I LOVE IT!!!

I mean, why even play the game since EVERYONE knew (especially all the MEDIA FOOTBALL "EXPERTS"!) that Florida didn't even belong in a national championship game, and that they just "backed-into-it" over much more deserving opponents like Michigan and USC!!

I mean, SEC football is no match for Big Ten football and unbeaten, untied, perfect record, Ohio State is already the best college football team in the country...forget that Ohio State had a PUSSY schedule of opponents COMPARED TO Florida's rugged schedule.

Forget that the most of the sportswriters, coaches, poll-voters, are from the midwest, northeast, and west coast, and repeatedly stack-the-deck in their ranking polls because of their assumed "weak relative strength" of SEC teams.  Yeah, the SEC has been the "whippin' boy" of the midwest/northeast, especially.

Especially ridiculous, has been the proppin'-up and publicity given to PAPER TIGER Notre Dame all this season with their inflated high rankings; and ND, this season, couldn't play their way out of a "wet paper bag"...and whose schedule was stacked mainly with a bunch of pansy opponents.

I LOVE IT (but, then I already said that)!!!

TheAnimal

• Getbig IV
Re: FLORIDA GATORS BURY "THE BEST TEAM IN THE COUNTRY" OHIO STATE 41-14!!
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 09:30:13 PM »
Team give a shit  ;D

Bast000

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Team Malk-Gallon

divcom

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies.
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 10:39:28 PM »
Boise needs a playoff system.  Do people really think they could trick play themselves into another big win against a powerhouse?  Anyway...didnt OK get bombed in a bowl game when they were undefeated with White at QB?

As with most Big 12 teams... OS faced an SEC opponent with 2nd teamers that could run with their 1st teamers.  For Smith it's a big difference playing Michigan on speed.

Go Tigers!  Russell...please stay in school another yr.
Oh...Monica!

Richard2004

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 07:54:37 AM »
Uhhh, ohhh, I forgot all about Bosie State and their "perfect record" 13-0!

With all of the "powers that be" in the BCS ranking system and these guys being so "anti-SEC"; plus Boise St. with their perfect record, Florida just might end up No. 2 !?

They have playoffs in every other college sport, why not in Division ! A college football??!  It is the most ridiculous, political, screwed-up,
greed-driven, system in ALL collegiate sports!

body88

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 07:58:50 AM »
Uhhh, ohhh, I forgot all about Bosie State and their "perfect record" 13-0!

With all of the "powers that be" in the BCS ranking system and thee guys being so "anti-SEC", plus Boise St. with their perfect record, Florida just might end up No. 2!?

They have playoffs in every other college sport, why not in Division ! A college football??!  It is the most ridiculous, political, screwed-up,
greed-driven, system in ALL collegiate sports!

Why is there no playoff?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2007, 08:29:18 AM »
Why is there no playoff?
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Right.

A 4- or 8-team playoff would be awesome and a total rainmaker...BUT

...the problem then is adding games to the schedule, which is an unwanted side effect.  Previously, it was suggested that teams would have to be limited to a 10- or 11-game regular season and that was overwhelmingly rejected by the D1 presidents.  Why?  Because *every* team would have to give up games, and that total revenue - nationwide, not just at a single university - is huge. 

body88

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2007, 08:40:27 AM »
Right.

A 4- or 8-team playoff would be awesome and a total rainmaker...BUT

...the problem then is adding games to the schedule, which is an unwanted side effect.  Previously, it was suggested that teams would have to be limited to a 10- or 11-game regular season and that was overwhelmingly rejected by the D1 presidents.  Why?  Because *every* team would have to give up games, and that total revenue - nationwide, not just at a single university - is huge. 

Are you in favor? Or do you like the current system?

Richard2004

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2007, 08:55:44 AM »

Why is there no playoff?

As best I can determine, it is that there is so much money, politics (or whatever?!) tied up in the current bowl game structure that to "revamp" it for say an 16 team playoff (e.g. requiring only 4 additional games after the end of a regular season!) would make "too many waves" with the "prestige" of the current bowl "powers that be" and the money proceeds from these bowls being funneled to the partiicipating colleges and universities.

The season already runs 12-13 games, and if JUST conference games were played then in a season schedule of say 9 games a conference champion could easily be determined.  Next, a "selection" could be made (like in NCAA Div. I basketball) of 16 top teams followed by a four game playoff to determine a TRUE national champion.

But, as flawed as the current BCS system is, it SURE beats the "old days" when there was a "mythical" national champion at the end of a regular season who, sometimes, lost their follow-up bowl game.  

For example, Tennessee was declared the "mythical national champion" in 1951, only to turn around and be soundly defeated by Maryland in the Sugar Bowl...AFTER they had already been awarded the national championship trophy!??

body88

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2007, 09:12:01 AM »
Thanks for the description rich... If you read my post again I posed a question and on the bottom half posted a bunch of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ symbols as the answer.

I appreciate the post tho!

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
  • I'm too sexy for my shirt!!!
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2007, 09:23:34 AM »
Dude... that game sucked...

I feel sorry for all the Buckeye fans who paid big money for tickets and traveling etc and who made the trip. The team didn't even show up!

Who were these players?! And where is the team that beat Michigan and every other opponent?!

body88

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2007, 09:26:38 AM »

I feel sorry for all the Buckeye fans who paid big money for tickets and traveling etc and who made the trip. The team didn't even show up!

Who were these players?! And where is the team that beat Michigan and every other opponent?!

50 days off,massive Florida speed,Florida's defense slowing down osu's offense and a osu qb with his ego pumped to massive levels = last night. The Hiesmen curse strikes again!

Do not forget the power of will.You could tell Florida wanted it so bad they could taste it.

That gator plowing down field with no helmet, the fire they played with...You could tell it was going to be a long night for osu.

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2007, 09:31:43 AM »
Yes you are right about Troy Smith being so hyped up. I hate when folks here do that. In central Ohio, OSU football players are treated like freakin celebrities. Little girls and boys asking for their autographs, local tv focuses on them alot, people talk about them like they're bigshots....... I find that aspect annoying and very provincial.

Oh well... let's see what happens next fall. In the meantime, it's good that the football season is over here, and people can go back to living normal lives. Football season in Columbus can be very irritating...

body88

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2007, 09:35:50 AM »
Yes you are right about Troy Smith being so hyped up. I hate when folks here do that. In central Ohio, OSU football players are treated like freakin celebrities. Little girls and boys asking for their autographs, local tv focuses on them alot, people talk about them like they're bigshots....... I find that aspect annoying and very provincial.

Oh well... let's see what happens next fall. In the meantime, it's good that the football season is over here, and people can go back to living normal lives. Football season in Columbus can be very irritating...

I can imagine football season in Ohio, I live in Boston. As you know people eat breath and sleep sox and pats. Celtics and Bruins ( in the dog house at the moment) also. Smith deserves to receive all the accolades he gets. The kid is extremely talented. But, that pre game interview where he was saying things like " no one is better then me" I know I am the best" made me think all the praise was getting to his head a bit. You know how it is when you are not hungry. All the talent in the world wont do anything if you are not in it mentally.

The kid is a incredable ball player. But, he was visably frustrated last night. Cant get that way if you wanna lead your team out of a hole.

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2007, 09:42:21 AM »

That's what happens when you're an overrated team and you beat overrated teams all year in a shitty conference and don't play for 55 days.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2007, 09:47:20 AM »

Same guys.

The Big Ten got exposed...again.

I mean, after being DESTROYED last night, how the hell does OSU keep the #2 ranking??

And then those idiot writers rated WISCONSIN 7th in the AP...and bloody 5th in the coaches' poll.  What a joke!  Sure, 12-1, but those wins were vs a truly Notre Dame-esque cupcake schedule.

The SEC rules college football, period.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2007, 09:51:08 AM »

Are you in favor? Or do you like the current system?

I'd first like to see a 4-team playoff.  The top 3 bowl games would feature the top 4 teams, with a rotating title game. 

For conferences with a championship game, the regular season would be scaled back to 11 games, and then you'd end up with a maximum of 14 games played.  Conferences without a championship game could still play a 12-game regular season. 

I don't see much of a difference between playing a max of 13 and 14 games, but there's a huge difference between 13 and 16.

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2007, 09:52:38 AM »
Same guys.

I mean, after being DESTROYED last night, how the hell does OSU keep the #2 ranking??

And then those idiot writers rated WISCONSIN 7th in the AP...and bloody 5th in the coaches' poll.  What a joke!  Sure, 12-1, but those wins were vs a truly Notre Dame-esque cupcake schedule.

Pretty sure Arkansas was embarrassed by said Wisconsin team in the Capital One Bowl, and Arkansas played in the SEC title game.  ::)

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2007, 09:54:57 AM »
Same guys.

Yes. I believe the entire college football system needs an overhaul. Right now it just seems so... antiquated and inefficient.

Hopefully, this will be a good lesson in humility for coach Tressel's boys. They act like the big guys on campus, like celebrities around town. People who were born and raised in Ohio tend to see them as just that. We non-Ohioans find it odd. Every newcomer to Ohio State goes through this phase of thinking wtf is this and why is everyone so Buckeye-crazy... Like I said before it is very provincial.

I personally prefer other OSU sports teams, like rugby and soccer. I have made friends in those teams, but I don't like dealing with people who think they are the shit and are above everyone else, so I stay away from the football players and the ass-kissing crowd.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2007, 09:58:06 AM »
Pretty sure Arkansas was embarrassed by said Wisconsin team in the Capital One Bowl, and Arkansas played in the SEC title game::)

They were not the 2nd-best team in the SEC, however.  

LSU beat Arkansas at their house, but after road losses to Auburn and Florida earlier in the season, there was no way for them to go anywhere because of the way people vote.  As a result, they got stuck playing lowly Notre Dame.  

If only they could've gotten past Auburn...*sigh*

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2007, 09:59:48 AM »
The game only sucked because of OSU; Florida was great.

How many more decades of rhetoric before there are playoffs? The no. 1 team under this lame ranking system just got blown out. :-\

body88

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2007, 10:01:07 AM »
The game only sucked because of OSU; Florida was great.

How many more decades of rhetoric about playoffs before it's done?

Probably many >:(

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2007, 10:29:44 AM »
They were not the 2nd-best team in the SEC, however. 

LSU beat Arkansas at their house, but after road losses to Auburn and Florida earlier in the season, there was no way for them to go anywhere because of the way people vote.  As a result, they got stuck playing lowly Notre Dame. 

If only they could've gotten past Auburn...*sigh*

Funny, Auburn wasn't even good this year. They lose to Georgia but the LSU juggernaut can't beat them? Wasn't the game at LSU, too?

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2007, 10:34:32 AM »
where are all the people that said florida didn't belong in the game and michigan should've went?

E
E

BigWyte

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2007, 11:38:21 AM »
where are all the people that said florida didn't belong in the game and michigan should've went?

E
Reading this thread with a tear in their eye. Their ring leader is(was) Eddie George.....The king of the 06' Ohio State Elitist's......It was his position that it was a forgone conclusion that Ohio State would win the National Championship...and since mighty Michigan played the unbeatable Ohio State within 3 points....they therefore must be far and away the second best team in the nation.

News for you Eddie....USC proved that wrong in Rose Bowl big time.....and Florida put a big bold exclamation point on it in the BCS Championship.