Author Topic: Weider products  (Read 2648 times)

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Weider products
« on: January 11, 2007, 04:12:34 AM »
Have any of u guys treid weiders 'muscle builder?'
I just got sum and it says to mix it with semi simmed milk (while most say either milk or water), i tried this....3 heaped desert spoons and 300mls milk, man it was thick!
I think i might have put too much powder in but it was v thick, nice though lol!

Tried it with water wen i was at the gym, and was having shake after i finished workout. wsant a nice, but il get used to it.

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
Re: Weider products
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 08:13:39 AM »
Several comments, but first, here are the ingredients:

"Protein Blend (Calcium Caseinate, Soy Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Powder), Fructose, Maltodextrin, Guar Gum, Canola Oil, Tricalcium Phosphate, Natural and Artificial Flavour."

(1) the soy question; there are issues regarding whether soy is estrogen promoting (although some studies have concluded it is as effective as whey).  I say why risk it when whey by itself doesn't carry such baggage;

(2) the fructose issue; fructose as the primary sweetner?  what was Weider thinking?  at least the maltodextrin would be an effective pwo workout option for spiking insulin levels, but the fructose puzzles me unless its solely for taste; in any event fructose is in general fat-promoting and not the best option;

(3) usage:  if you are using it for pwo purposes, there is no reason to ingest a protein with caseinate, which is slower dissolving; traditionally, you want the protein which will be absorbed the quickest by the body (whey);  if you are using it before bed, caseinate is preferable over whey; as such, I'm not sure what purpose this product is intended to serve (although granted, many people use blends).

(4) calorie to protein ratio;  I call this protein efficiency (loosely translated as "how many calories must I consume to obtain each gram of protein?")  Most protein powders on average have 120 calories per serving which gets you about 24g of protein (i.e., a protein efficiency of about 5:1).  With the Weider product, you have 170 calories yeilding 18g of protein (i.e., a protein efficiency of over 9:1).

My conclusion:   This product was designed more for commercial purposes and catering to the masses, rather than a serious bodybuilding product.  By this I mean no offense to you, because I think we've all purchased such products at one time or another.

WhiteHulk4

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 08:40:29 AM »
Every ingredient in this product is added for one reason: BECAUSE IT'S CHEAP!  This is a cheap, crap supplement for idiots who buy supplements at Kroger or Publix or the f#cking Piggly Wiggly!  They look at it and say "Wow!  MUSCLE BUILDER!  I want to build my muscles, so this must be the sh*t!  WOOOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!!"

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
  • I'm too sexy for my shirt!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 09:06:46 AM »
You should know better... The mere fact that is says Weider on the box should let you know that it's full of crap...

WhiteHulk4

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 11:09:15 AM »
Columbusdude82, what the F#CK happened to our Buckeyes on Monday night???  Worst game I've ever seen (I'm from Upper Arlington by the way)!!!

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 11:17:38 AM »
Columbusdude82, what the F#CK happened to our Buckeyes on Monday night???  Worst game I've ever seen (I'm from Upper Arlington by the way)!!!

Answer: speed kills

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
  • I'm too sexy for my shirt!!!
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 11:32:13 AM »

I've posted about the game on here several times in the relevant threads. Please don't make me re-live that!

darksol

• Getbig III
  • ProSportNutrition.net
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2007, 05:48:50 PM »
Eating protien is pointless unless its done 5-6 times a day and you provide dextrose to transport it to the cells.  Try to focus your diet around real foods.  IE ( tuna, eggs, beef ), and if you just want to bulk up, PB & J ( my favorite )

Tier

• Getbig III
  • Lift light with sloppy form
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2007, 06:26:37 PM »
Every ingredient in this product is added for one reason: BECAUSE IT'S CHEAP!  This is a cheap, crap supplement for idiots who buy supplements at Kroger or Publix or the f#cking Piggly Wiggly!  They look at it and say "Wow!  MUSCLE BUILDER!  I want to build my muscles, so this must be the sh*t!  WOOOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!!"

i bought the shit when i 1st started and thought like this  ;D

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2007, 08:35:56 PM »
Several comments, but first, here are the ingredients:

"Protein Blend (Calcium Caseinate, Soy Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Powder), Fructose, Maltodextrin, Guar Gum, Canola Oil, Tricalcium Phosphate, Natural and Artificial Flavour."

(1) the soy question; there are issues regarding whether soy is estrogen promoting (although some studies have concluded it is as effective as whey).  I say why risk it when whey by itself doesn't carry such baggage;

(2) the fructose issue; fructose as the primary sweetner?  what was Weider thinking?  at least the maltodextrin would be an effective pwo workout option for spiking insulin levels, but the fructose puzzles me unless its solely for taste; in any event fructose is in general fat-promoting and not the best option;

(3) usage:  if you are using it for pwo purposes, there is no reason to ingest a protein with caseinate, which is slower dissolving; traditionally, you want the protein which will be absorbed the quickest by the body (whey);  if you are using it before bed, caseinate is preferable over whey; as such, I'm not sure what purpose this product is intended to serve (although granted, many people use blends).

(4) calorie to protein ratio;  I call this protein efficiency (loosely translated as "how many calories must I consume to obtain each gram of protein?")  Most protein powders on average have 120 calories per serving which gets you about 24g of protein (i.e., a protein efficiency of about 5:1).  With the Weider product, you have 170 calories yeilding 18g of protein (i.e., a protein efficiency of over 9:1).

My conclusion:   This product was designed more for commercial purposes and catering to the masses, rather than a serious bodybuilding product.  By this I mean no offense to you, because I think we've all purchased such products at one time or another.

This product is a throw-back, so to speak, from the era of high carbs. The only criticism I have with it is that it's relatively low in protein, 18 grams of protein in a 45-gram serving. But again, in the era, where carbohydrates were the holy grail of nutrients, this was a great product. You'd likely find its counterparts from other companies with a similar nutrient profile (an example of this would be the Pre/Post-Workout Recovery Drinks from Lee Haney's Mass Fuel Kit from Twinlab; I still have the video from the one I got many years ago).

As for the post-workout thing,  you need protein to help recover and stimulate growth. Yes, pure whey is preferable; but a blended protein like that will do just fine.

Ten years ago, I used to take a Mega Mass 2000 shake (which has a proten blend, mainly milk and egg) about 30 minutes after finishing my workout. And, it definitely helped me recover from my training. If Weider Muscle Builder is all one has available, then by all means, use it. I would, however, suggest using a bit more than two servings to get more protein (around 40 grams).

And, as for the soy issue, I think the hysteria about estrogen levels is vastly overblown. Bodybuilders have been using soy protein for decades. No guy is going to turn into a girl or have to start shopping for bras by using soy protein (especially, if it's high quality like Supro, a soy protein isolate).

canadian_husker

• Getbig III
  • From the outside looking in you cant understand it
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2007, 11:27:40 PM »
the other day at walmart they had

weider creatine monohydrate 500g $39.99

and right beside it

some no name brand creatine monohydrate 650g $19.99

i'll bet more than one sucker is buying the weider stuff because he once read a copy of muscle and fitness and knows that name brand.

what a friggin scam
Go Big Red!!!

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2007, 01:59:11 AM »
Actually guys, alot of that info u posted is wrong.
Was actually up there to buy more maximuscle protein, but they wer out of stock, so i thought id try an alternative, and the fact it was kinder on the wallet was justa  bonus.

Someone said it only had 18 grams of protein per serving, it actually has 32 grams of protein per serving, i think u wer confused with the numbers, it has 18 grams of carbs.

I wouldnt care what name was on it, i got it as the protein i was after wasnt in stock.

I take it 3 times on gym days, after the gym with water, which should speed up absorption.

davie

Tier

• Getbig III
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2007, 04:39:52 AM »
...umm........so whats the point of this topic again.......?  ???

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2007, 05:21:31 AM »
...umm........so whats the point of this topic again.......?  ???

Discussing the product, as i was wandering who had used it.

Thanks for everyones input!!

davie

TestDummy

• Getbig IV
  • 5%
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2007, 12:22:57 AM »
Weider = crap

WhiteHulk4

• Getbig III
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2007, 12:34:14 PM »
Eating protien is pointless unless its done 5-6 times a day and you provide dextrose to transport it to the cells.

This is the dumbest comment I've ever read...  Do you really think dextrose is needed with every meal - otherwise nothing reaches your cells???  That's flat out retarded!  Dextrose spikes insulin yes, but it's DEFINITELY NOT the only thing that causes an insulin response (not to mention that insulin is NOT the ONLY way nutrients get into your system - otherwise, everyone on a low-carb diet would die...).  Not to mention that spiking insulin is NEVER a good idea, unless its immediately after your workout!  So doing it 5-6 times a day would be the equivalent of smearing dogshit on your face - from an intellectual point-of-view of course.

I'm sorry, I've read lots of stupid people say a lot of stupid things on GetBig, but this one takes the cake!

Tier

• Getbig III
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2007, 01:10:24 AM »
I loved that dogshit comment  ;D

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2007, 07:43:02 PM »
Was actually up there to buy more maximuscle protein, but they wer out of stock, so i thought id try an alternative, and the fact it was kinder on the wallet was justa  bonus.

Someone said it only had 18 grams of protein per serving, it actually has 32 grams of protein per serving, i think u wer confused with the numbers, it has 18 grams of carbs.

I wouldnt care what name was on it, i got it as the protein i was after wasnt in stock.

I take it 3 times on gym days, after the gym with water, which should speed up absorption.

davie

how big is a 'serving' ? you would still have to compare that to another brand.
let' say one brand have you take one scope for 25 grams of protein, then the other brand have you take two scopes for 30 than the first brand would have more protein, but the other brand might have it look like there's more in theirs due to a bigger sized 'serving'
knowwhatimsaying!
Z

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2007, 08:34:48 PM »
I've read lots of stupid people say a lot of stupid things on GetBig, but this one takes the cake!

Did someone say cake?  ;D
:

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2007, 09:30:50 PM »
Discussing the product, as i was wandering who had used it.

Thanks for everyones input!!

davie

I used it about 15-17 years ago, It's and oldie but a goodie, just like the very first supplement I ever used: Weider's Dynamic Weight Gainer.

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2007, 10:37:23 AM »

davie

The label says what the label says.  I looked it up on the internet and posted it above as an attachment.  It says 18 Grams of protein per serving.  I was just at the drugstore, and re-checked the label, it says the same thing.  Maybe the formulation is different where its sold in your country.  However, I'm not sure from your post, what else we supposedly got wrong.  If it does indeed contain soy and fructose, I stand by my prior comments.

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2007, 02:33:33 AM »
I think someone said i bought it b/c of the 'muscle builder' name on the front. That isnt importnat to me.

With regards to composition, it must be different in ur country. here its is 32 grams protein and 18 grams carbs.

The serving size is 30grams (about 3 heaped dessert spoons).

davie

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2007, 07:50:21 AM »
I think someone said i bought it b/c of the 'muscle builder' name on the front. That isnt importnat to me.

With regards to composition, it must be different in ur country. here its is 32 grams protein and 18 grams carbs.

The serving size is 30grams (about 3 heaped dessert spoons).

davie

Those numbers are somewhat better.  What about fructose and soy as ingredients- are they in your product?

BigCypriate

• Getbig IV
  • F****n Peasants!
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2007, 07:57:27 AM »
i bought the shit when i 1st started and thought like this  ;D

hahahaha I remember when I first bought a barbell/dumbell set when I was young, and I bought some Wieder Weight Gain stuff aswell

I used to drink a glass of it mixed with milk and do a few set of dumbell curls, and keep checking in the mirror after each excercise to see the improvements!  ;D ;D ;D

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2007, 08:28:10 AM »
I think there is some casein in it, not sure about soy, dont have it to hand at the moment. There is some fructose, but i am active with quite alot of cardio at the moment due to rugby training tuesday and thursdays and a game on saturdays.

davie