Author Topic: Someone, please defend the 21,500 troop number  (Read 5156 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Someone, please defend the 21,500 troop number
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2007, 11:07:50 PM »
If you weren't watching MtV all day, you would have seen this exact question being asked of senators/reps on both side of the aisle, all week on the news.

But I guess the media, congress, and most americans having this conversation are "dumb" as you put it.

And you still haven't defended the 21,500 number.   Defend it.  you did crash this thread and never answered it.

Actually, I called your questions dumb.  Here is your daily mantra:  ask a dumb a question, don't get the answer you like (or any answer at all), claim the person has been "owned."  Very persuasive.   ::)

Jeff Miller

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2007, 12:16:00 AM »
Can anyone defend it?  People seem to be saying either pull out completely, or boost the troops to 300k and just overwhelm them and win.

Again, lets define the "enemy".  Crush whom?  Overwhelm whom?

Victory in Iraq is an empowered Iraqi military and police and stabilized government.
ChuckNorrisFearsMe

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2007, 12:50:07 AM »

Victory in Iraq is an empowered Iraqi military and police and stabilized government.

+1

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
  • "look, it's the drunk piano player."
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2007, 05:12:01 AM »
You can't defend the number if even bush's former military men said it wasn't going to do much...

no soldier is going to go on tv and disagree with the CIC on CNN...you'd be in a world of hurt if you did...

the majority of these guys don't want to be there..people join the military to get job training, paid well, free living...etc...most don't say..i'm joining up so i can get my ass blasted back to the stone age for a bunch of unappreciative, backwards living arabs...but they know they have no choice when they are told what to do and go and do their jobs...I know a lot of guardsman and reservists who have no desire to go or go back there because they don't think they can do any good--the consensus was/is that while they are happy saddam is gone they aren't happy americans are still there...
footloose and fancy free

mightymouse72

• Getbig III
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2007, 06:00:53 AM »
Essentially, it's an inflationary number to keep up with the growing insurgency.  15% troop growth per year, for the next 5 years.  Just as they say the insurgents grow.

Can anyone defend it?  People seem to be saying either pull out completely, or boost the troops to 300k and just overwhelm them and win.

*Please don't attack either position or either party - this 21,500 position is unpopular with BOTH parties*

Can someone please defend the 21,500 number as a strategy for victory? thanks.

with the 21,500 troops added now, there were still more over there this time last year.

W

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2007, 07:31:44 AM »

Of course they want to acutually stabilize Iraq, that would mean a pullout. The insurgency gives the US the chance to stay there.

a_joker10

• Getbig IV
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2007, 07:45:39 AM »
Of course they want to acutually stabilize Iraq, that would mean a pullout. The insurgency gives the US the chance to stay there.
Jeff Miller is right.

Hopefully the Iraq government will keep its word and actually allow America to face off against Al-Sadr.

Al-Sadr is the one pushing the insurgency and if the troops were removed right now, would become the defacto leader.
Death squads on Sunni's anyone.

There were 2 schools of thought on this war and on Afghanistan, one is a massive troop presence and very little aid. This is the Vietnam model.

The Iraq and Afghanistan model involve a lot less troops and more money and a lot more time, but it also involves making these states and their governments independent and their military strong.
These are also the same methods America is quietly using all over central Africa.

Iraq's economy is booming right now.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16241340/site/newsweek/
If Al-Sadr and the Hussein insurgents can be dealt with maybe Iraq can become a great free country.
Z

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2007, 10:22:33 AM »

Just like other countries we have troops in, there will never be a complete pullout in Iraq........a complete pullout would be assnine!

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2007, 08:19:24 PM »
The military theory is sound but I don't think its enough. I think its'too late. We need more Iraqi's doing their job. If they can hold each neighborhood and get the locals to point out the insurgents. Its a mess that we can'r win because these idiots are not rational.
L

Wombat

• Getbig IV
  • Your name tattooed to my ass!
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2007, 01:53:40 AM »
i've said it..and i'll say it again..

this is possibly the last timeperiod to enjoy life on this planet..

shits gonna hit the celing ..in another 50 yrs..HARD...

I'll take the under for $1000..Like way under...we have 6 years tops...

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2007, 02:56:44 AM »
i've said it..and i'll say it again..

this is possibly the last timeperiod to enjoy life on this planet..

shits gonna hit the celing ..in another 50 yrs..HARD...

That's ok bro, I'll be 80 than... so no worries

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2007, 03:19:52 AM »

Brilliantly insightful Jeff.
w

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2007, 03:22:01 AM »
That's ok bro, I'll be 80 than... so no worries

Ever seen how the elderly fare in a wild, chaotic, dog eat dog, every man for himself, state of anarchy?
You should be skeeered, ...very skeered.   :o
w