Author Topic: Environmental rules waived for fence  (Read 2880 times)

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
Environmental rules waived for fence
« on: January 13, 2007, 03:14:39 AM »
Environmental rules waived for fence
By ARTHUR H. ROTSTEIN,
Associated Press Writer
Sat Jan 13, 12:29 AM ET

TUCSON, Ariz. - Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff waived environmental rules Friday to clear the way for a border fence to be constructed along the Mexican border.

The move circumvented a series of laws, from the Endangered Species Act to the Federal Water Pollution Control Act and the National Environmental Policy Act, outraging environmentalists.

Dr. Robin Silver, board chair of the environmental organization Center for Biological Diversity, called Chertoff's move "a historic travesty."

"Because they refuse to deal head-on with the economics of the immigration challenge, they're now taking a step to destroy the integrity of the central part of southern Arizona's desert," Silver said. "There's not a wall on earth that's going to stop a human in search of a minimum-wage job to feed his hungry family."

It was unclear when construction on 37 miles of traditional and virtual fencing would begin at the Air Force's training range in southwestern Arizona. The project also includes radar and other infrastructure, lighting, all-weather and drag roads, expected to cost in the neighborhood of $64 million.

Chertoff voided "environmental requirements and other legalities that have impeded the department's ability to construct fencing and deploy detection technology on the range," spokesman Russell Knocke said in Washington.

Knocke said small openings will be made in fencing to allow the flat-tailed horned lizard to continue crossing into Mexico.

The construction will be part of the Bush administration's overall Secure Border Initiative that calls for adding a mix of fencing, cameras and high-tech surveillance and communications, vehicle barriers and other features to diminish and deter illegal crossings along the Mexican border.

Arizona has been the epicenter for crossings by illegal immigrants for several years and authorities said last year nearly 8,600 people trying to enter the country illegally were apprehended in the Barry M. Goldwater Range.
w

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
Re: Environmental rules waived for fence
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007, 05:09:43 PM »
What rubbish, "they're now taking a step to destroy the integrity of the central part of southern Arizona's desert," integrity of the DESERT? What, they're going to displace some sand? What retard said that? I like this one even better "There's not a wall on earth that's going to stop a human in search of a minimum-wage job to feed his hungry family." I might buy that, except #1 a large portion of illegals carry drug guns and other weapons, and are convicted criminals, #2 there is something called a naturalization process in this country, you complete it, you are a US citizen, GROW UP AND PAY FUCKING TAXES, and #3 if mexicans are having a tough time in mexico, why the fuck am I supposed to feel bad and feel some intense desire to do something about it? I don't fucking care! There are starving children all around the world, there is an AIDS epidemic, for GOD's sakes, these things I care about! If mexicans don't like where they live, they should either immigrate naturally, or fucking change things in their own country.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2007, 05:38:54 PM »
What rubbish, "they're now taking a step to destroy the integrity of the central part of southern Arizona's desert," integrity of the DESERT? What, they're going to displace some sand? What retard said that? I like this one even better "There's not a wall on earth that's going to stop a human in search of a minimum-wage job to feed his hungry family." I might buy that, except #1 a large portion of illegals carry drug guns and other weapons, and are convicted criminals, #2 there is something called a naturalization process in this country, you complete it, you are a US citizen, GROW UP AND PAY FUCKING TAXES, and #3 if mexicans are having a tough time in mexico, why the f**k am I supposed to feel bad and feel some intense desire to do something about it? I don't fucking care! There are starving children all around the world, there is an AIDS epidemic, for GOD's sakes, these things I care about! If mexicans don't like where they live, they should either immigrate naturally, or fucking change things in their own country.

Mike,
I'd like to suggest you do a little research into the "Maquilla Doros" project.

I'd also like to suggest it is just as difficult for Mexcans to do things in their own country when free elections are interfered with, and election results rigged. When the voices of the people are ignored and discarded, mexicans have a hard time accomplishing what they want in their country. If Americans find this a challenge, why wouldn't Mexicans?

ps - Also too, I think  for many Mexicans, they have familial ties in the US, ...plus it's a lot closer than Venezuela.  :D
w

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2007, 05:55:40 PM »
I don;t know.....I for one am getting really concerned about the Illegal immagrant problem in our country.  I don;t know if the fence will do the trick or even help.  But something has to happen.

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2007, 06:46:28 PM »
I don;t know.....I for one am getting really concerned about the Illegal immagrant problem in our country.  I don;t know if the fence will do the trick or even help.  But something has to happen.

Yeah, try living in california man, it's little mexico i'm not kidding.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2007, 07:00:19 PM »

That's because it WAS mexico, ...i'm not kidding.  :P

ps - he DOES live in california
w

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2007, 07:03:56 PM »

solution:

Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2007, 07:15:20 PM »
S

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2007, 09:26:49 PM »
solution:

Can that be bought anywhere? I'd buy 100.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2007, 04:39:12 PM »
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2007, 04:59:15 PM »
How about they place land mines along the border?

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2007, 05:00:00 PM »
That's because it WAS mexico, ...i'm not kidding.  :P

ps - he DOES live in california

The imperitive term here being WAS mexico. Was as in past tense, as in will never be again.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2007, 05:36:36 PM »
Why is this such a big issue?

Mexico is obviously lagging behind the US and Canadian economies.

Mexico isn't helped by a lot of their young population leaving for USA.

USA and to some degree Canada isn't helped by a poor neighbor in the south.

Why not protect the border, put up a fence, and border patrols.

At the same time look over the NAFTA trade agreements and get Mexico a better trade off so the Mexican economy can grow. It's a disgrace to North America that Mexico is near third world in some parts.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2007, 07:53:37 PM »

At the same time look over the NAFTA trade agreements and get Mexico a better trade off so the Mexican economy can grow. It's a disgrace to North America that Mexico is near third world in some parts.

-Hedge

I agree, we should do more to help mexicos government, we already do a lot for their economy from what I know, with all the manufacturing we have going on down there. What can we really do though?

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2007, 08:46:47 AM »
The imperitive term here being WAS mexico. Was as in past tense, as in will never be again.

Gee Methyl Mike, You need to make up your mind.
Either it WAS, and never will be again
(in which case...why are you whining?)

...or...

It WAS, and continues to be like Mexico.

Which is it?  ;)   8)
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2007, 08:50:26 AM »

-Hedge

As well to some longstanding European financial houses and institutions that have contributed to some of this. It didn't always use to be this way.
w