Author Topic: U.S. warns about Canadian spy coins  (Read 1960 times)

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
U.S. warns about Canadian spy coins
« on: January 13, 2007, 06:55:14 AM »
U.S. warns about Canadian spy coins
By TED BRIDIS,
Associated Press Writer
Thu Jan 11, 4:16 AM ET

AP Photo: This photo released by the
Central Intelligence Agency shows a
hollow container, fashioned to look like
an Eisenhower silver dollar.

WASHINGTON - Money talks, but can it also follow your movements?

In a U.S. government warning high on the creepiness scale, the Defense Department cautioned its American contractors over what it described as a new espionage threat: Canadian coins with tiny radio frequency transmitters hidden inside.

The government said the mysterious coins were found planted on U.S. contractors with classified security clearances on at least three separate occasions between October 2005 and January 2006 as the contractors traveled through Canada.

Intelligence and technology experts said such transmitters, if they exist, could be used to surreptitiously track the movements of people carrying the spy coins.

The U.S. report doesn't suggest who might be tracking American defense contractors or why. It also doesn't describe how the Pentagon discovered the ruse, how the transmitters might function or even which Canadian currency contained them.

Further details were secret, according to the U.S. Defense Security Service, which issued the warning to the Pentagon's classified contractors. The government insists the incidents happened, and the risk was genuine.

"What's in the report is true," said Martha Deutscher, a spokeswoman for the security service. "This is indeed a sanitized version, which leaves a lot of questions."

Top suspects, according to outside experts: China, Russia or even France — all said to actively run espionage operations inside Canada with enough sophistication to produce such technology.

The Canadian Security Intelligence Service said it knew nothing about the coins.

"This issue has just come to our attention," CSIS spokeswoman Barbara Campion said. "At this point, we don't know of any basis for these claims." She said Canada's intelligence service works closely with its U.S. counterparts and will seek more information if necessary.

Experts were astonished about the disclosure and the novel tracking technique, but they rejected suggestions Canada's government might be spying on American contractors. The intelligence services of the two countries are extraordinarily close and routinely share sensitive secrets.

"It would seem unthinkable," said David Harris, former chief of strategic planning for the Canadian Security Intelligence Service. "I wouldn't expect to see any offensive operation against the Americans."

Harris said likely candidates include foreign spies who targeted Americans abroad or businesses engaged in corporate espionage. "There are certainly a lot of mysterious aspects to this," Harris said.

Experts said such tiny transmitters would almost certainly have limited range to communicate with sensors no more than a few feet away, such as ones hidden inside a doorway. The metal in the coins also could interfere with any signals emitted.

"I'm not aware of any (transmitter) that would fit inside a coin and broadcast for kilometers," said Katherine Albrecht, an activist who believes such technology carries serious privacy risks. "Whoever did this obviously has access to some pretty advanced technology."

Experts said hiding tracking technology inside coins is fraught with risks because the spy's target might inadvertently give away the coin or spend it buying coffee or a newspaper. They agreed, however, that a coin with a hidden tracking device might not arouse suspicion if it were discovered in a pocket or briefcase.

"It wouldn't seem to be the best place to put something like that; you'd want to put it in something that wouldn't be left behind or spent," said Jeff Richelson, a researcher and author of books about the        CIA and its gadgets. "It doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense."

Canada's largest coins include its $2 "Toonie," which is more than 1-inch across and thick enough to hide a tiny transmitter. The CIA has acknowledged its own spies have used hollow, U.S. silver-dollar coins to hide messages and film.

The government's 29-page report was filled with other espionage warnings. It described unrelated hacker attacks, eavesdropping with miniature pen recorders and the case of a female foreign spy who seduced her American boyfriend to steal his computer passwords.

In another case, a film processing company called the FBI after it developed pictures for a contractor that contained classified images of U.S. satellites and their blueprints. The photo was taken from an adjoining office window.

___

On the Web:

CIA hollow coin: http://www.cia.gov/cia/information/artifacts/dollar.htm

==================

OH MY GOODNESS!!! What's next?

w

Stark

• Getbig V
Re: U.S. warns about Canadian spy coins
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007, 07:06:38 AM »
Complete rubbish

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2007, 07:16:40 AM »
Complete rubbish

Well whaddya expect? The old standyby scare tactics are losing their value. Gotta come up with new threats.
And what's skeerier than a pocketful of Canadian coins? :o Loonies have weaned me off eel-skin wallets :D
w

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2007, 12:00:20 PM »
Well whaddya expect? The old standyby scare tactics are losing their value. Gotta come up with new threats.
And what's skeerier than a pocketful of Canadian coins? :o Loonies have weaned me off eel-skin wallets :D

The coin thing is very impractical.

Anyone who handles money won't carry 50 cent pieces long and the average person can tell by sound and wieght if the coin isn't right.

I on rare occasions spot pre 1964 silver coins just on sound in my hand when i get change.

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2007, 05:04:35 PM »
This is a joke, right?

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2007, 05:10:57 PM »
nope.  ;D

no joke, ...but it might be a pretty good indicator of what some powers on high think of the intelligence of the population to whom they're feeding this story.

What I haven't figured out is if the paranoia is so high that they're actually stupid enough to believe this,
...or if it's a case of them thinking the public is stupid enough to believe this. That I haven't quite figured out yet.

From everything I've heard in the past, it's USA currency that has the capability of inserting tracking tags... in the strip that runs through every USA bill. I've seen experiments where those bills have been placed in a microwave, ...and there is definitely something in that strip that doesn't like getting nuked.  :P
w

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2007, 05:15:11 PM »
nope.  ;D

no joke, ...but it might be a pretty good indicator of what some powers on high think of the intelligence of the population to whom they're feeding this story.

What I haven't figured out is if the paranoia is so high that they're actually stupid enough to believe this, ...or if it's a case of them thinking the public is stupid enough to believe this. That I haven't quite figured out yet.

From everything I've heard in the past, it's USA currency that has the capability of inserting tracking tags... in the strip that runs through every USA bill. I've seen experiments where those bills have been placed in a microwave, ...and there is definitely something in that strip that doesn't like getting nuked.  :P

Sadly, I'm sure many americans in the "bible belt" would believe this shit. Hell, if the gov really wanted to, they could probably convince them Bush is the second coming of Jesus. Anywho, got a vid of the strip getting nuked? I'm too poor to nuke my own money LOL.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2007, 05:30:03 PM »
The coin thing is very impractical.

Anyone who handles money won't carry 50 cent pieces long and the average person can tell by sound and wieght if the coin isn't right.

I on rare occasions spot pre 1964 silver coins just on sound in my hand when i get change.

Normally I'd agree with you, but Canadian coins are always changing. They frequently come out with commemorative issues, so it's not ALWAYS the same images on the coins. I can think of about 4 different versions of the quarter. The only really unusual one that I've seen was the one commemorating Breat Cancer awareness. It looked similar to our two-toned Toonie (the $2 coin) however, it had a pink ribbon in the centre.

Oh well, so what's new? Privacy rights experts & advocates have been talking about RFID tags in clothing for years. Tags capable of tracking it from the factory of it's manufacturer, right through the distribution channel, to the end user, ...and even how often it gets worn, ...or if it just sits in your closet. Some spook in Langley will be able to sit behind his desk, and note that person 746254853 in Paris, has chosen a lovely ensemble today. The eleganty cut Dior suit, accented by the chartreuse blouse, and accessorized with the Langevin scarf, and Jimmy Choo sandals.

Take heart, ...it's not all that bad. There are plusses to this kind of thing.
I mean, ...someone might have been able to alert Brittany Spears that she'd forgotten her panties.  ;D
w

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2007, 05:41:47 PM »
This looks pretty real to me... No hoax info and this it is on ABC, CNN, CBS, USAToday etc...  It may not be the best all around espionage tool, but obviously it would have its speciality uses.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2007, 06:13:25 PM »
I can see something like that being used where you want to keep track of someone, but don't want to overtly "offend" them. Put them on the honour system, ...but track their movements throughout your sensitive location. ie: Is he really an expert telecommuications technician with the capability to fix the phone system within our highly sensitive building, ...or is he really a covert operative? Let's slip him a tracking coin in his change when he buys his morning coffee & bagel. It'll give off a warning if he slips out of the phone room, and into our super secret room where he has no business being.

Or perhaps such a device could be used to trigger the locks on a door to a sensitive area without calling attention to it. I mean if there was a whole rigamarole one had to go through to gain entry, ...people might say "I wonder what's behind there" and will want to see it. Swipe cards could be stolen, along with keys, ...however, if a person was required to go through the charade of inserting a key into a lock, ...even they may never know that it was infact the coin in their pocket that allowed them entry. They could give the key to someone else, it could be stolen, or they could even sell it to the highest bidder, ...but without them being aware that it was actually the coin in their pocket providing access, ...what's behind the door remains secure.

My imagination is starting to run wild. There's all kinds of scenarios and pratical applications one can come up with if you really tried.
w