Author Topic: Protein bars  (Read 1655 times)

D-bol

• Getbig IV
  • Its only hard if you make it hard.
Protein bars
« on: January 13, 2007, 08:20:23 AM »
For this year i want to use protein bars for my midsnacks. Cooking so much food is just daunting and I dont go big on shakes, cuz the oxygen feels me up and I dont feel like next meal in 2 hrs.

So, protein bars good alternative? We have a wide choice. Most taste like shit and are rather high on carbs. Few good-tasting crnabery/almond based. The problem is cost though, 1$ per bar, with 14 bars a day for 5 weeks makes it about $70 on just bars. Thats 10 extra packs of lean fresh norwegian salmon.

Any thoughts? Shoudl I go with it? pros and cons?

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
Re: Protein bars
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 04:27:40 AM »
get the ones at gnc that are about to expire.i got a bunch for like 50-75 cents.
DAWG

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 09:24:14 PM »
For this year i want to use protein bars for my midsnacks. Cooking so much food is just daunting and I dont go big on shakes, cuz the oxygen feels me up and I dont feel like next meal in 2 hrs.

So, protein bars good alternative? We have a wide choice. Most taste like shit and are rather high on carbs. Few good-tasting crnabery/almond based. The problem is cost though, 1$ per bar, with 14 bars a day for 5 weeks makes it about $70 on just bars. Thats 10 extra packs of lean fresh norwegian salmon.

The NITRO-TECH bars are pretty good. I recommend the Strawberry Cheesecake and the Double Chocolate ones, especially if you can get them at discount prices (specifically at GNC or Vitamin Shoppe).

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 05:30:18 AM »
i only use bars when im on the road. i'd prefer a shake, chewing is a bitch and some of them bars are huge
Z

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
  • "look, it's the drunk piano player."
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 06:45:21 AM »

Dbol...I used to use the designer protein bars..things tasted like snickers...but i read a few articles that pretty much stopped me from eating any of them..i eliminated them completely...a lot of them are loaded with sugars..hydrogenated oils, etc...i prefer protein shakes..most have little to no fat and little sugar...
footloose and fancy free

D-bol

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 10:40:44 AM »
rocky, yo prolly right...I also thought of all the chemically induced flavours and shit
but shakes are also unnatural?

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
  • "look, it's the drunk piano player."
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007, 11:18:33 AM »
rocky, yo prolly right...I also thought of all the chemically induced flavours and shit

yeah..i'm thinking they are unnatural but a lot less than the bars..with that shakes you can at least eliminate the sugars and hydrogenated stuff...
footloose and fancy free

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2007, 06:49:45 PM »
with 14 bars a day

You've got to be kidding  :o

Whey is not unnatural.
:

D-Jay

• Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2007, 07:55:43 PM »
muscletech's new nitrotech caramel peanut bar is awesome!

Dingleberry

• Getbig IV
  • My nuts, your chin, any questions?
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2007, 10:45:08 PM »
Skip the bar, any bar, unless you don't have access to food or a meal replacement shake. They should be used only when you have no other choice. I keep some in my desk drawer, in case a meeting comes up and I don’t have time to eat a regular meal.
You will make far better gains eating real food, or even a well formulated meal replacement shake.
tiny-tit bounty hunter

musclehedz

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2007, 03:03:52 PM »
Skip the bar, any bar, unless you don't have access to food or a meal replacement shake. They should be used only when you have no other choice. I keep some in my desk drawer, in case a meeting comes up and I don’t have time to eat a regular meal.
You will make far better gains eating real food, or even a well formulated meal replacement shake.

Amen.

About all pro's and other advanced bodybuilders prefer real food over supplements. Don't step in the bullshit. Stick with whey shakes to get enough protein intake for the day and maybe some dextrose/creatine around the training session.

D-bol

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2007, 10:40:45 PM »
You've got to be kidding  :o

i meant 14 a week sorry

D-bol

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2007, 10:42:43 PM »
Amen.

About all pro's and other advanced bodybuilders prefer real food over supplements. Don't step in the bullshit. Stick with whey shakes to get enough protein intake for the day and maybe some dextrose/creatine around the training session.

thanx, i think thats what i'll do...its just such a drag preping the foods and shakes  :-\

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2007, 04:02:49 AM »
Z

buffbodz

• Getbig V
  • It's only a board
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2007, 11:19:13 AM »
Most aren't much different than a snickers with a shot of protein in their.  Shakes are a much better choice.  Check the ingredients in most bars, you can't pronounce, never mind figure out what it is, and I prefer not eating what I don't know.  Remember to get to the 30 grams of protein, your body must break down all the fillers and gums first.
6 meals lift heavy and 1/2 hr cardio

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2007, 11:25:48 AM »
Most aren't much different than a snickers with a shot of protein in their.  Shakes are a much better choice.  Check the ingredients in most bars, you can't pronounce, never mind figure out what it is, and I prefer not eating what I don't know.  Remember to get to the 30 grams of protein, your body must break down all the fillers and gums first.

In a similar vein, whenever my wife eats a protein bar, I tell her, "I see you got your candy fix.'

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2007, 11:34:08 AM »
I don't really see a problem with a bar once in awhile.  I usually have one with a shake for my 3rd meal.
bodybuildersreality.com

Lewis

• Getbig II
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2007, 02:12:10 PM »
I generally avoid bars because of the glycerin etc. Plus cant be doing with the horrible after taste and chewing!

But i think the oat based ones are best. Dorian Yates's company does some nice ones.

tab1

• Getbig II
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2007, 07:37:00 PM »
tri -o-plex and MHP up your mass are very good and tasty. Cheapest online but Max Muscle will sometimes try to come close to the online price if you ask. I agree with big L dawg, try GNC every once in awhile and look for products about to expire, they are usually marked down quite a bit. Other than that don't shop GNC.

mwkcronin

• Getbig II
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2007, 06:11:26 AM »

The ingredients in the bars are not impressive at all.  To my knowledge the Nitrotech bars are the best in regards to not having garbage in them.  Most have high frutose  corn syrup, and hidden sugar alcohols.  Better off eating a snickers bare you know.

If any of the companies could make a good tasting bar with the ingredients found in most MRP packs I'd be on board.