Author Topic: Radio contestant dies during stunt...  (Read 959 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Radio contestant dies during stunt...
« on: January 14, 2007, 08:20:31 PM »
Coroner: Water Intoxication May Have Killed Woman
(CBS13) SACRAMENTO A radio contest participant may have died of water intoxication, a press release from the Sacramento County Coroner’s Office said Saturday. The woman was discovered unresponsive by relatives in her home in Rancho Cordova Friday afternoon.

28-Year-Old Jennifer Lea Strange was declared dead by Sacramento Metro Fire Paramedics. Strange had reportedly competed in a contest held by local radio station 107.9 ‘The End’ earlier Friday that required contestants to drink large amounts of water without being able to go to the bathroom.

The preliminary investigation revealed no life threatening medical conditions to explain her sudden death. While the preliminary findings of the autopsy are consistent with water intoxication, the coroner says the final cause of death will not be available for several months.

gtbro1

• Getbig V
Re: Radio contestant dies during stunt...
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 08:22:44 PM »
I saw that on AOL. "Hold your Wee for a WII."

I have heard about the possibility of water overdose before but honestly who here would be afraid to drink too much water?You would think you would vomit before you ingested enough to kill ya.At least I think so.

She called someone crying complaining of a severe headache and that was the last they heard from her.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 08:24:13 PM »
i heard about this my soph year in HS.

a woman on a diet drank a gallon of water and died. "turgor" pressure?  water forced cell walls to burst in her organs?

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 08:30:17 PM »
i heard about this my soph year in HS.

a woman on a diet drank a gallon of water and died. "turgor" pressure?  water forced cell walls to burst in her organs?

Yeah I remember them always saying "too much of anything can kill ya...even water". But when was the last time you were actually afraid to overdrink water.That is a freak thing in my opinion.

Faust

• Getbig IV
  • It's a league game, Smokey
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 01:17:45 AM »
Yeah I remember them always saying "too much of anything can kill ya...even water". But when was the last time you were actually afraid to overdrink water.That is a freak thing in my opinion.

Not really. I've heard of a couple of cases as well. In Brussels an african women died recently because they made her drink like a bucket during an exorcism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication

Body fluids contain electrolytes (particularly sodium compounds, such as sodium chloride) in concentrations that must be held within very narrow limits. Water enters the body orally or intravenously and leaves the body primarily in the urine and in sweat. If water enters the body more quickly than it can be removed, body fluids are diluted and a potentially dangerous shift in electrolyte balance occurs.

Most water intoxication is caused by hyponatremia, an overdilution of sodium in the blood plasma, which in turn causes an osmotic shift of water from extracellular fluid (outside of cells) to intracellular fluid (within cells). The cells swell as a result of changes in osmotic pressure and may cease to function. When this occurs in the cells of the central nervous system and brain, water intoxication is the result. Additionally, many other cells in the body may undergo cytolysis, wherein cell membranes that are unable to stand abnormal osmotic pressures rupture, killing the cells. Initial symptoms typically include light-headedness, sometimes accompanied by nausea, vomiting, headache and/or malaise. Plasma sodium levels below 100 mmol/L (2.3g/L) frequently result in cerebral edema, seizures, coma, and death within a few hours of drinking the excess water. As with alcohol poisoning, the progression from mild to severe symptoms may occur rapidly as the water continues to enter the body from the stomach or intravenously.

A person with two healthy kidneys can excrete about 1.5 litres (0.39 gallons) of water per hour at maximum filtration (other studies find the limit to be as little as 0.9L/h (0.24 gal)[2]). Consuming as little as 1.8 litres of water (0.48 gal) in a single sitting may prove fatal for a person adhering to a low-sodium diet, or 3 litres (0.79 gallons) for a person on a normal diet.

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication
$

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2007, 01:50:15 AM »
Not really. I've heard of a couple of cases as well. In Brussels an african women died recently because they made her drink like a bucket during an exorcism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication

Body fluids contain electrolytes (particularly sodium compounds, such as sodium chloride) in concentrations that must be held within very narrow limits. Water enters the body orally or intravenously and leaves the body primarily in the urine and in sweat. If water enters the body more quickly than it can be removed, body fluids are diluted and a potentially dangerous shift in electrolyte balance occurs.

Most water intoxication is caused by hyponatremia, an overdilution of sodium in the blood plasma, which in turn causes an osmotic shift of water from extracellular fluid (outside of cells) to intracellular fluid (within cells). The cells swell as a result of changes in osmotic pressure and may cease to function. When this occurs in the cells of the central nervous system and brain, water intoxication is the result. Additionally, many other cells in the body may undergo cytolysis, wherein cell membranes that are unable to stand abnormal osmotic pressures rupture, killing the cells. Initial symptoms typically include light-headedness, sometimes accompanied by nausea, vomiting, headache and/or malaise. Plasma sodium levels below 100 mmol/L (2.3g/L) frequently result in cerebral edema, seizures, coma, and death within a few hours of drinking the excess water. As with alcohol poisoning, the progression from mild to severe symptoms may occur rapidly as the water continues to enter the body from the stomach or intravenously.

A person with two healthy kidneys can excrete about 1.5 litres (0.39 gallons) of water per hour at maximum filtration (other studies find the limit to be as little as 0.9L/h (0.24 gal)[2]). Consuming as little as 1.8 litres of water (0.48 gal) in a single sitting may prove fatal for a person adhering to a low-sodium diet, or 3 litres (0.79 gallons) for a person on a normal diet.

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication

How do you not vomit first? I am not debating the facts you presented..just simply asking..How in the fuck can you physically consume that much without vomitting.Hard to imagine but obviously possible.

Faust

• Getbig IV
  • It's a league game, Smokey
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2007, 01:57:22 AM »
How do you not vomit first? I am not debating the facts you presented..just simply asking..How in the f**k can you physically consume that much without vomitting.Hard to imagine but obviously possible.

I don't know. I think vomitting is a reaction from your stomach when it gets stressed by certain factors (eg too much salt, alcohol). Water probably isn't a stress factor. Also, from what i remember most of the water isn't absorped in your stomach, but mostly in the rest of your intestines. So the water probably leaves the stomach real quickly allowing you to keep on drinking.

Just my theorie.

$