Author Topic: Conference Championship Picks  (Read 12522 times)

body88

Re: Conference Championship Picks
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2007, 08:20:18 AM »
No life? I'm posting while packing to leave in about 30 mins. You have 5 threads going about the Patriots and you feel justified in making another one about some stats you copy-pasted from another website. I'm just curious as to why this is called the Sports Board when the only threads being posted in are the 6 Patriot ones you have going. Might as well rename it.

Wrong, there are tons of threads on other things. There are two pats threads. The hijacks where perpetrated by you talking shit. Would you like me to merge them?

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2007, 08:21:08 AM »
Wrong, there are tons of threads on other things. There are two pats threads. The hijacks where perpetrated by you talking shit. Would you like me to merge them?

Might as well, I know I'm tired of scrolling halfway down the board to sift through the Boston bullshit on here.  ;)

body88

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2007, 08:22:46 AM »
I just merged the two pats threads.

thisiskeith12

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2007, 11:32:28 AM »
Colts and Saints

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2007, 06:49:07 AM »
Yeah i think its the colts and saints....

Saints - The bears defense thrives off of mistakes. Breeze dosent make mistakes with the ball. The saints offense is too versitile. There isnt one guy that you can just key on and shut down and hope to win.  Sort of like a poor mans 1999 rams. Deuce and Bush in the backfield have proven to give defenses fits.
Also Rex Grossman has shown that he isnt consistant. I have never in my life seen one Person be responsible for 6 turnovers by himself. (MNF Cards v Bears). He is due for one of those games. The Saints Defense though not full of great athletes, they have great game plans and play very sound defense. They play well enough for the Saints offense to do their thing. Thats just my take.

Key factor....REX GROSSMAN. If he plays decent it will be a close game that would go anyway...But if he has one of those gun slinger games the Saints will take advantage... Look for the Saints to take this one

The colts...
Though you can never count Brady out and Bills game plans are the best in the last 20 years, I think this is the year for the Colts. They have won the close games. They have one the ugly games. And those are the games that the Pats usually win. i said last week that the chargers would have to beat the pats by 2 touchdowns because if not the pats would win a close game. Manning is due for a big game. Believe me, Manning is a pro and he will shake off last weeks debacle and will have a big game. But if not Adam V has changed jerseys and seems to have the good luck charm on his foot. Remember if there is no adam v there might not be a Brady...or brady might have mannings curse...
Also the pats and colts have played many times recently and the gap has gotten smaller For the colts. I think dungy finally has a handle on bills offense and will game plan well for it

And last but not least, home field advantage, the RCA dome might be the loudest in the leauge and it will play a major part in this game

Key factors. Adam V, Home field, Asante Samuel (dude is a game changer ask the jets)
Note i didnt add brady in the key factors because he is consistant and you know you will get an A+ effort.

thisiskeith12

« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2007, 07:17:20 AM »
Saints over Colts in super bowl.

please please please knock out the pats asap.

Karma will lead the Colts and Saints to the Super Bowl. I have said it, therefore it is official.

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2007, 07:35:27 AM »
It's not the same Patriots team of the old days and anyone who isn't a Patriot fan won't deny that. They have flaws on both sides of the ball and the Colts are just the team to exploit them. And if Harrison doesn't play, hahaha! Good luck stopping that recieving corp. If Dallas Clark has another gigantic game, then I expect the Colts to walk away with the victory. If the Ravens defense had trouble with him, there's no reason to believe the Pats linebackers will be able to handle him.

Bears don't have the offense to hang with the Saints, nor is their defense able to stop anyone running up the middle.

body88

« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2007, 09:09:10 AM »
It's not the same Patriots team of the old days and anyone who isn't a Patriot fan won't deny that. They have flaws on both sides of the ball and the Colts are just the team to exploit them. And if Harrison doesn't play, hahaha! Good luck stopping that receiving corp. If Dallas Clark has another gigantic game, then I expect the Colts to walk away with the victory. If the Ravens defense had trouble with him, there's no reason to believe the Pats linebackers will be able to handle him.

Bears don't have the offense to hang with the Saints, nor is their defense able to stop anyone running up the middle.

Very good points, this is what I would say to counter some of that (obviously there are strengths for the colts that can be applied the same way, this is just the perspective of a NE fan).

When the two met during the regular season the pats only lost by 7 while committing 5 turnovers. I was shocked at how many chances they gave the colts. The secondary was in worse shape then it is now, so I think the key for the pats is to use the weapons they have on the line ( Wilfork, Warren and Seymour) to get Manning out of the pocket and make him throw on the run. Brewski, Vrabel, Banta Kain and Colvin can reek havoc on the passing lanes if Manning is pressured. He has always trouble with this. If he has all day you are right tho, without Harrison and with the injury's back there the colts ob have an advantage. Harrison, Wayne and Clark are the best in the biz. Lets not forget about Asanti Samuel and the impact he can have in a game. Expect the pats to give Manning some throws anyway. The guy will get his yards. The pats d was second to the ravens in total points allowed a (12. 8 ravens - 14.8 pats) average. Statistically the pats D was very good all year. So, that is a strength for them. The colts have been great, but will they revert back to ther old ways if they have to stop not only the run, the pass also? Trent Green and Steve Mcnair are not Tom brady.

The colts have faced one dimensional teams up to this point imo. The colts defense has been playing freaking awesome. I feel they have to come back down to earth at some point. The pats have far more offensive weapon then kc, or the ravens. Lets start with the 3 running backs. Three backs, three totally different  looks. I am still waiting for Maroney to blow up like he was (before he got hurt), Faulk has been a monster and old Dillon can still rumble a bit. They have the other best QB in the league and the ability to spread it out. They can go long, they can stay short. During there season there was speculation the new receivers where not have there timing down until playoff time. With the late season emergence of Gafney and Caldwell this seems to hold true. Caldwell has better stats on the year then the man he replaced in Deion. Troy is troy, and you can always count on him. I wish jackson did not get hurt in the preseason. This rookie is 6'4 , and fast. I feel when he gets some actual expierence he will be a great weapon. No idea iof they plan to use him.

This will be close game imo ( close in the sense it will prob come down to a score or so). It will come down to who executes better. It will also depend on that Indy d. If they come out like they have in the last two games it is going to be a tough game. But, if they soften up due to the offensive capabilities the pats have in the air, and let that running game get going I think the game will be won by the patriots. Same goes for ne. Harrison's injury was  said to take 3 - 4 weeks to heal. This is week 3, we shall see. They are playing Manning so if he plays well this is going to be a tough, tough battle. Forgot to mention the colts running game. The backs have been playing well, need to contain them.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2007, 09:24:20 AM »

Very good points, this is what I would say to counter some of that (obviously there are strengths for the colts that can be applied the same way, this is just the perspective of a NE fan).

When the two met during the regular season the pats only lost by 7 while committing 5 turnovers. The secondary was in worse shape then it is now, so I think the key for the pats is to use the weapons they have on the line ( Wilfork, Warren and Seymour) to get Manning out of the pocket and make him throw on the run. Brewski, Vrabel, Banta Kain and Colvin can reek havoc on the passing lanes if Manning is pressured. He has always trouble with this. If he has all day you are right tho, without Harrison and with the injury's back there the colts ob have an advantage. Harrison, Wayne and Clark are the best in the biz. Lets not forget about Asanti Samuel and the impact he can have in a game. Expect the pats to give manning those some throws anyway. The guy will get his yards. The pats d was second to the ravens in total points allowed a 12. 8 - 14.8 average. Statistically the pats D was very good all year. So, that is a strength for them. The colts have been great, but will they revert back to ther eoold ways if they have to stop not only the run, the pass also. Trent green and Steve mcnair are not Tom brady.

The colts have faces one dimensional teams up to this point. The colts defense has been playing freaking awesome. I feel they have to come back down to earth at some point. The pats have far more offensive weapon then kc, or the ravens. Lets start with the 3 running back. Three backs, three totally different  looks. They have the other best QB in the league and the ability to spread it out. They can go long, they can stay short. During there season there was speculation the new receivers where not have there timing down until playoff time. With the emergence of Gafney and Caldwell this seams to hold true. Caldwell has better stats on the year then the man he replaced in Dieon. Troy is troy and you can always count on him.

This will be close game imo. It will come down to who executes better. It will also depend on that Indy d. If they come out like they have in the last two games it is going to be a tough game. But, if they soften up due to the offensive capabilities the pats have in the air, and let that running game get going I think the game will be won by the patriots.

Where the pats seem to beat the colts is in the turnover department and there is no faster way to force those turnovers than pressure. But thats on both sides. Though PEyton gets rattled more than Brady who dosent have a nervous bone in his body, pressure from freeny could cause sacks. Freeny had 5 sacks in the regular season but its playoffs and he already has 2.3 (3 imo) in the last 2 games. And he gets a better jump on turf.
Also if bills Blitz get to manning then its lights out.

body88

« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2007, 09:28:38 AM »
I agree, but if the pats can shut down Merrimen for an entire game I am confident they can buy Brady the time he needs to throw. I was very surprised, Matt Light made Merrimen his bitch most of the entire game. IN the first meeting Manning was sacked three times by the pats. I believe that was the most he was sacked all year.

Brady had time to throw most of the entire game against the chargers. if the line can repeat that performance he should be good to go. The pats offensive line has really stepped it up the last 6 games.

Same goes for Manning, if he has all day, we are in trouble.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2007, 09:33:14 AM »
I agree, but if the pats can shut down Merrimen for an entire game I am confident they can buy Brady the time he needs to throw. I was very surprised, Matt Light made Merrimen his bitch most of the entire game. IN the first meeting Manning was sacked three times by the pats. I believe that was the most he was sacked all year.

Brady had time to throw most of the entire game against the chargers. if the line can repeat that performance he should be good to go. The pats offensive line has really stepped it up the last 6 games.

Just as i said before...if the colts make it a slug fest they will lose. I know they have won close games but this is the playoff pats we are talkin about here. They live for close games.

body88

« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2007, 09:34:22 AM »
Sorry, must have read what you wrote wrong. I agree, I think is going to be a close dogfight.

I think by the third quarter that colts offensive line is going to lose some steam against the huge pats defensive line. Same for the colts d line. Small and fast is a great tool on the line until the body starts to wear down.

The pats have to keep it close until the speed starts to fade on the colts side of the ball.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2007, 09:37:07 AM »
Sorry, must have read what you wrote wrong. I agree, I think is going to be a close dogfight.

I also think it has the possibility of being a close dogfight out of ciurcumstance. The pats better take some alot shots down field and have that strecth play action goin if they wanna loosten up this pats d.

DUDE I FUCKIN CANT WAIT

body88

« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2007, 09:38:20 AM »
I also think it has the possibility of being a close dogfight out of ciurcumstance. The pats better take some alot shots down field and have that strecth play action goin if they wanna loosten up this pats d.

DUDE I FUCKIN CANT WAIT

I mean close in the sense of relativley high scoring dog fight. You know what I mean  ;) I am pretty pumped up to.

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2007, 10:04:33 AM »

Outside of the Chargers game, the Pats tackles have been pretty disappointing this year. Freeney and Mathis are both big game guys and play their best with the spotlight on them. I'm expecting a monster day from Freeney. 

One cool thing I noticed about the Patriots is that they have like 4 recievers from Florida.

I hope it comes down to Vinatieri kicking a 40 yarder as time expires for the win.  ;D

body88

« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2007, 10:15:29 AM »
Outside of the Chargers game, the Pats tackles have been pretty disappointing this year. Freeney and Mathis are both big game guys and play their best with the spotlight on them. I'm expecting a monster day from Freeney. 

One cool thing I noticed about the Patriots is that they have like 4 recievers from Florida.

I hope it comes down to Vinatieri kicking a 40 yarder as time expires for the win.  ;D

If that happens I will not even be mad. That would be so ludicrous and ironic, I would just shake
my head and laugh.

Gloskowski is a damn good kicker, so I do not even wanna think about that, lol.

body88

« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2007, 10:46:25 AM »
Bears/ NO

NO has way to much scoring ability  for the current version of the bears d. The bears have been allowing 25 points per game. The d is not the same since the loses.

It will come down to if Rex can overcome the points that NO can put on the board. I do not think he can.

Not to mention how red hot Duce is right now. Compliment that with the speed and athletic ability Bush can bring, I do not see how the bears can stop em.

imo

body88

« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2007, 11:57:46 AM »

Just a quick counterpoint to this statement. Up until the Miami game you are correct the pats tackles where having a uncharictoristic and at times spotty year. At times they looked great and at other well, not so great. But since that Miami game which was six games ago, they have played fantastic. To say they had a disappointing year is a stretch. An off year at times, before the last four games of the regular season, without a doubt. They where fantastic the last four games of the regular season, in the jets wildcard game,and lights out last week against the best in the biz. Dan Koppen being injured during the regular season did not help the cause.

To say Mathis and Freeney will have a huge game based on the last two performances by your own logic is a bit hypocritical, imo. The colts where sporting the 7th worst run d in NFL history up until the last two games. They where sporting a horrible d as a whole. They have been very effective against the outside rusher, but I feel they will have issues with a power runner. Light manhandled Merrimen last week,and Kaczur has been playing well, I think it will be a good matchup.

I think the colts d has stepped it up 10000 percent, just making a point. The colts d deserves all the credit in the world. My only question is how will they do against a team that not only can run,but can kill you in the air. The ravens and chiefs did not have this ability imo.I expect the colts d to play well in this game. They have been fantastic during this playoff. I was refering to the original quote you made.

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2007, 12:09:40 PM »

Just a quick counterpoint to this statement. Up until the Miami game you are correct the pats tackles where having a uncharictoristic and at times spotty year. At times they looked great and at other well, not so great. But since that Miami game which was six games ago, they have played fantastic. To say they had a disappointing year is a stretch. A off year at times before the last four games of the regular season, without a doubt. They where fantastic the last four games of the regular season, in the jets wildcard game and lights out last week against the best in the biz. Dan Koppen being injured during the regular season did not help the cause.

To say Mathis and Freeney will have a huge game based on the last two performances by your own logic is a bit hypocritical, imo. The colts where sporting the 7th worst run d in NFL history up until the last two games. They where sporting a horrible d as a whole. They have been very effective against the outside rusher, but I feel they will have issues with a power runner. Light manhandled Merrimen last week and Kaczur has been playing well, I think it will be a good matchup.

I think the colts d has stepped it up 10000 percent, just making a point. The colts d deserves all the credit in the world. My only question is how will they do against a team that not only can run but can kill you in the air. The ravens and chiefs did not have this ability imo.I expect the colts d to play well in this game. They have been fantastic during this playoff. I was refering to the original quote you made.

I wasn't saying they would have a big game due to their recent play. It's widely known that both of those guys are big game players, Freeney especially. He usually plays well above his normal level when the spotlight is on him and it's do or die.

body88

« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2007, 12:13:05 PM »
I wasn't saying they would have a big game due to their recent play. It's widely known that both of those guys are big game players, Freeney especially. He usually plays well above his normal level when the spotlight is on him and it's do or die.

I am sure they will. I was speaking more about the first statement you made. Like I said, I believe the colts d of the playoffs will be the version we see when we play them. I only make the point that they have yet to face a team that can soften them up in the air very effectivley.They have struggled against power runners and I think Dillon will be effective this game. I think this is going to be a great game and I think the colts will play great.

It will come down to execution and turnovers. Whoever does it better wins.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2007, 12:16:56 PM »

I am sure they will. I was speaking more about the first statement you made. Like I said, I believe the colts d of the playoffs will be the version we see when we play them. I only make the point that they have yet to face a team that can soften them up in the air very effectivley.They have struggled against power runners and I think Dillon will be effective this game. I think this is going to be a great game and I think the colts will play great.

Thats what i think about the colts against the pats d..If the running game is going a little bit in the first quarter, the strecth play with a play action with something deep down field or clark up the seam will soften up the pats d to where they will have no chance but to blitz crazy and sometimes a blitz can be a crap shoot.

But if they do those controlled blitz's or the zone type of blitz it will counter what the colts are trying to do.

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2007, 12:18:23 PM »

It will come down to execution and turnovers. Whoever does it better wins.

They held Larry Johnson to 38 yards, and Dillon isn't anywhere near a runner of LJ's caliber at this point. Don't really see the Patriots RB's doing much of anything.

body88

« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2007, 12:21:32 PM »
They held Larry Johnson to 38 yards, and Dillon isn't anywhere near a runner of LJ's caliber at this point. Don't really see the Patriots RB's doing much of anything.

Larry Johnson is best as a outside rusher imo. The colts have struggled with power runners. Dillon is still a great back, Faulk has been having a great year and Maroney is the real deal. I know he is not on the level of LJ anymore ( I do not think he is), but LJ is the second best rusher in the league. My point is the pats have about 600 more ways to kill you then kc did. Opening up things kc had slammed shut against them. Maroney did not get much attention since he was sharing touches with Dillon and Faulk every game. Then at the end of the year he was out for three years so no one payed any attention to him. Madden called him the real deal on Monday night, and judging from what I saw before he was hurt I agree. I think they will make a impact. Just my opinion tho.

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2007, 12:23:37 PM »

Larry Johnson is best as a outside rusher imo. The colts have struggled with power runners. Dillon is still a great back, Faulk has been having a great year and Maroney is the real deal. I know he is not on the level of LJ anymore ( I do not think he is), but LJ is the second best rusher in the league. My point is the pats have about 600 more ways to kill you then kc did. Opening up things kc had slammed shut against them. Maroney did not get much attention since he was sharing touches with Dillon and Faulk every game. Then at the end of the year he was out for three years so no one payed any attention to him. Madden called him the real deal on Monday night, and judging from what I saw before he was hurt I agree. I think they will make a impact. Just my opinion tho.

LJ runs up the tackles fine. He's a 230 pound back. I knew Maroney was the real deal in college watching Minnesota. The Pats are more than lucky to have taken him.

body88

« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2007, 12:25:46 PM »
LJ runs up the tackles fine. He's a 230 pound back.

Well, I tend to think he is most effective when he gets outside. I just wanted to make the point the colts did a great job of stopping lj, but the pats have many more ways to kill them then on the ground. That was about all kc had to go against em.

Dont think I am trying to tell you the colts d is not going to be tough, I know it will.