Author Topic: Univ. of Hawaii Defense  (Read 5813 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Univ. of Hawaii Defense
« on: January 15, 2007, 04:36:16 PM »
My boys hit this year.  Here is a small sample.   :)

body88

Re: Univ. of Hawaii Defense
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 10:29:14 PM »
Impressive.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 12:07:58 AM »
Yep.  They hit like that all year.  Several NFL scouts called them the hardest hitting defense on the west coast.  We knocked a slew of QBs and RBs out of the game.  Jerry Glanville is the man. 

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 12:50:47 AM »
Also gave up a ton of points, made a lot of misreads which led to points, and couldn't stop OSU in the final regular season game.  Hell, I am a fan, but having div IAA teams on the schedule doesn't help matters.  I hope Colt does well in the NFL. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 07:43:05 AM »
Also gave up a ton of points, made a lot of misreads which led to points, and couldn't stop OSU in the final regular season game.  Hell, I am a fan, but having div IAA teams on the schedule doesn't help matters.  I hope Colt does well in the NFL. 

We give up points because we stay on the field longer than any defense in the country.  I think the average drive of our offense is less than 3 minutes.  The D played well enough to keep us in games, but when you're leading the nation in scoring that gets overlooked a bit.  The D only gave up 3 TDs to OSU (one was a kickoff return).  That is outstanding IMO. 

And having a IAA team on the schedule is consistent with what a ton of other schools do, including many of the "BCS" conferences.  Playing a IAA school is fine if you balance it out with a non conference schedule of Alabama, UNLV, Purdue, and Oregon State. 

I think Colt will declare today.   :-\

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 08:21:46 AM »
Is Granville still the def cor.?

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007, 08:37:08 AM »
My boys hit this year.  Here is a small sample.   :)

you know i got recruited to go there out of highschool.They were real shitty so i decided against it. But yeah went on the trip and everything. Also they went by the rainbow warriors at the time. I met lelie and thought he was kind of soft. He might have been the fastest person i have ever seen in person though.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2007, 10:01:05 AM »
Is Granville still the def cor.?

Yep.  This will be his third year.  I don't think we'll be able to keep him after this year.  Our D has immensely improved under Glanville.  I don't know what he is putting in the plantation ice tea, but he has those boys flying around and hitting.  It's beautiful!  We're going to put all three of our starting seniors on D in the NFL this year. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2007, 10:03:52 AM »
you know i got recruited to go there out of highschool.They were real shitty so i decided against it. But yeah went on the trip and everything. Also they went by the rainbow warriors at the time. I met lelie and thought he was kind of soft. He might have been the fastest person i have ever seen in person though.

[cringe]  We dropped that "Rainbow" name, along with the rainbow logo.

Man you passed up an opportunity to play in paradise?   :o

Lelie is probably the most dominant college WR I've ever seen.  He was a monster his last year (as a junior).  They just couldn't cover him.  I wasn't surprised at all that he led the NFL in yards per catch in 04 and 05 (despite playing with Plummer).  He really screwed up by holding out and demanding a trade.  Killed his off season value. 

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2007, 11:01:08 AM »
[cringe]  We dropped that "Rainbow" name, along with the rainbow logo.

Man you passed up an opportunity to play in paradise?   :o

Lelie is probably the most dominant college WR I've ever seen.  He was a monster his last year (as a junior).  They just couldn't cover him.  I wasn't surprised at all that he led the NFL in yards per catch in 04 and 05 (despite playing with Plummer).  He really screwed up by holding out and demanding a trade.  Killed his off season value. 

Yeah dont remind me. The year after i declined their offer they changed from the soft green unis to the tough black on black thats looks raw as hell. Then they drop the rainbow (i graduated in 2000) and go like 9 and 4 and win the wac. actually they beat the shit out of alabama in the process. Dude did i ever fuck up.

body88

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2007, 11:07:17 AM »
Yeah dont remind me. The year after i declined their offer they changed from the soft green unis to the tough black on black thats looks raw as hell. Then they drop the rainbow (i graduated in 2000) and go like 9 and 4 and win the wac. actually they beat the shit out of alabama in the process. Dude did i ever f**k up.

Mal, where did you play? Tell us a few stories about big plays.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2007, 11:16:21 AM »
Yeah dont remind me. The year after i declined their offer they changed from the soft green unis to the tough black on black thats looks raw as hell. Then they drop the rainbow (i graduated in 2000) and go like 9 and 4 and win the wac. actually they beat the shit out of alabama in the process. Dude did i ever f**k up.

lol.  That was actually the biggest turnaround in NCCA history (from 0-12 to 9-4).  But hey you can always come visit.   ;D 

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2007, 11:18:05 AM »
Mal, where did you play? Tell us a few stories about big plays.

I went to play at a Division 2 school with a good Academic Reputation (Morehouse) ::) ::)
(way to go mom)

But I actually played football with Denzel Washingtons son (JD Washington he is on the practice squad for the rams)

Oh i have a big hit on a current nfl player...

We were playing tuskegee, then a d2 powerhouse (our rivals) and we had lost maybe 10 straight times to them...I was at strong safety this game and Drayton Florence (starting cb for the chargers wears 29) was at wideout....
It was 0-0 in the first. They ran a wide open like 4 wide set for the whole game so i was in space for a while. Well i watched film and they liked to run a buble screen. Well Florence was at the wide out and he steped back and around to catch the screen. I was like maybe 10 yards off because im not the fastest guy in the world. But i read it from jump and i got on my horse before the ball was even thrown..the slot missed me on a block and i left my feet head first at florence as soon as he caught the ball i hit him right under the face mask...his helmet must have went in the air about 8 feet. He didnt come back in the game and i we won 20-0..

body88

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2007, 11:31:41 AM »
I went to play at a Division 2 school with a good Academic Reputation (Morehouse) ::) ::)
(way to go mom)

But I actually played football with Denzel Washingtons son (JD Washington he is on the practice squad for the rams)

Oh i have a big hit on a current nfl player...

We were playing tuskegee, then a d2 powerhouse (our rivals) and we had lost maybe 10 straight times to them...I was at strong safety this game and Drayton Florence (starting cb for the chargers wears 29) was at wideout....
It was 0-0 in the first. They ran a wide open like 4 wide set for the whole game so i was in space for a while. Well i watched film and they liked to run a buble screen. Well Florence was at the wide out and he steped back and around to catch the screen. I was like maybe 10 yards off because im not the fastest guy in the world. But i read it from jump and i got on my horse before the ball was even thrown..the slot missed me on a block and i left my feet head first at florence as soon as he caught the ball i hit him right under the face mask...his helmet must have went in the air about 8 feet. He didnt come back in the game and i we won 20-0..

Great story. 

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2007, 11:34:49 AM »

Great story. 

It was kind of lame but i was a lb/ss so not a lot of exciting plays like a wide out or a tail back.

I do remember in one game i had 2 forced fumbles and a pic to the house...

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2007, 11:36:58 AM »
It was kind of lame but i was a lb/ss so not a lot of exciting plays like a wide out or a tail back.

I do remember in one game i had 2 forced fumbles and a pic to the house...

Are you kidding?  Not lame at all.  Knocked a player's helmet off and knocked him out of the game?  I would be telling my grandkids that one.   :)

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2007, 11:37:54 AM »
Are you kidding?  Not lame at all.  Knocked a player's helmet off and knocked him out of the game?  I would be telling my grandkids that one.   :)

cool thanks ;D ;D

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2007, 02:14:46 PM »
We give up points because we stay on the field longer than any defense in the country.  I think the average drive of our offense is less than 3 minutes.  The D played well enough to keep us in games, but when you're leading the nation in scoring that gets overlooked a bit.  The D only gave up 3 TDs to OSU (one was a kickoff return).  That is outstanding IMO. 

And having a IAA team on the schedule is consistent with what a ton of other schools do, including many of the "BCS" conferences.  Playing a IAA school is fine if you balance it out with a non conference schedule of Alabama, UNLV, Purdue, and Oregon State. 

I think Colt will declare today.   :-\

As you probably know, UH doesn't even get the top recruits from in state.  June needs to stop ignoring the local talent that comes from Kahuku, Farrington, St. Louis.  If they could get local talent as well as the mainland signings, perhaps Aloha Stadium could start selling out.  For as good as a program as they have been since June got here, it is an embarrasment that UH doesn't sell out every game.  If they did, they could start becoming a perenial power. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2007, 03:09:20 PM »
As you probably know, UH doesn't even get the top recruits from in state.  June needs to stop ignoring the local talent that comes from Kahuku, Farrington, St. Louis.  If they could get local talent as well as the mainland signings, perhaps Aloha Stadium could start selling out.  For as good as a program as they have been since June got here, it is an embarrasment that UH doesn't sell out every game.  If they did, they could start becoming a perenial power. 

June has made terrific strides with local recruits.  We still lose some of the top recruits, but he has done better than any coach before him in keeping local talent home.  Now that the Kahuku coach is gone, they can put that dumb feud to rest and we should get more Kahuku players.  I'm really interested to see what Fehoko does (Vili the Warrior's son).  I think he's the top recruit in the state.  It's down to UH and Arkansas.   

Re Aloha Stadium, we just have some fair weather fans.  It's disgusting.  If we win, the fans come.  Because we sucked last year, season ticket sales and attendance at early games were down.  We barely put 20k in the seats during the first half of the season.  As we started winning, fans showed up, till we nearly sold out Purdue and OSU.  Makes me sick.  I'm a season ticket holder and I'm there every week, win or lose, rain or shine.  The only way to keep the seats filled is to win.  We don't have a very loyal fan base. 

Have you seen the clip of Leon Jackson?  He's the Nebraska RB transfer.  I think you can put him down for 1500 yards rushing this year.  One of the fastest players I've ever seen on film.   

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2007, 03:58:49 PM »
Coach Reggie is a good man.  He was brought in to clean up the program after Sivai got the boot.  I am hoping a winning tradition means we will get more than the prop 48 guys we traditionally get.  Two years and out gets old quick. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2007, 05:07:57 PM »
Coach Reggie is a good man.  He was brought in to clean up the program after Sivai got the boot.  I am hoping a winning tradition means we will get more than the prop 48 guys we traditionally get.  Two years and out gets old quick. 

Fehoko just committed to San Diego State.  Joining his brother.   :'(

scooter

• Getbig III
  • the fvckin priest deserved to die
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2007, 07:46:16 PM »
I watched a couple of games of theirs and their D impressed me. They were really dominant and hit hard as hell. Pretty quick too. I like them alot I hope they do good next year

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2007, 08:20:46 PM »
The DBs make a lot of misreads that leave them in poor position to make plays.  When you send the house on a blitz, you'd better make sure you stay behind your man, and send them to the sidelines, not to the middle where there is no safety. 

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2007, 09:33:18 PM »
Yes we were great this year.  Isn't the Navy Quarterback from Hawaii too.  Allot of talent here.  The school would probably save a little money if we recruited more locally.  But its hard to compete with the big boys on the mainland.  Plus the goal for allot of guys here is to get off the island.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2007, 11:19:38 PM »
I watched a couple of games of theirs and their D impressed me. They were really dominant and hit hard as hell. Pretty quick too. I like them alot I hope they do good next year

I think they'll be great next year, even if Colt leaves.  We have a couple of outstanding ILBs:  Solomon Elimimian and Adam Leonard.  I think Leonard will definitely play Sundays.