Author Topic: Aishwarya Rai  (Read 20422 times)

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
Re: Aishwarya Rai
« Reply #75 on: January 22, 2007, 03:01:26 PM »
You speak patwa?

{LOL} Let's just say I understand it better than I speak it.
If I study it for a bit I can, but it doesn't flow naturally for me. I never really heard it growing up.

I can speak it when Louise Bennett monologues, because she writes phonetically, otherwise it comes out as phony as Malik Yoba in "Cool Runnings". He was passable, but someone with an ear for it can pick it up. In the past, I've always just run my pronunciation through Jamaican friends. They let me know where I have to stretch or place extra emphasis. car vs. keeyaar (all one syllable)  :)
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #76 on: January 22, 2007, 03:12:12 PM »

my darling jaguar, how i've missed you and the golden bullshit you wholesale.   aishwarya rai and your "jamaicans" got their eyes from the same place . . . from the people who originated west of the caucasus mountains. in rai's case, we're probably benefiting from some brit sowing his wild oats. the caribs, like all american "indians," are descendants of the "asiatics" . . .

I never said they weren't.

any eye color other than a dark brown is an aberration, not the norm.

but i love the way you dark skinned colonial people still idealize caucasian features and try to make them your own through your little yarns about the "original" caribs.  they were "tawny," but so is your average japanese. 

How is that "making them my own?". They Caribs ARE the original Jamaicans. The original inhabitants of that island. Everyone else came there. If you consider a fascination with eyes that sparkle like jewels the idolizing of caucasian features, ...so be it, ...however there are many non-Caucasians whose eyes also sparkle like jewels. It's a quality or characteristic that has nothing to do with race.

And when are you going to layoff the pointless, baseless, stupid, attacks? They're getting stale already.
w

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #77 on: January 22, 2007, 03:14:23 PM »
{LOL} Let's just say I understand it better than I speak it.
If I study it for a bit I can, but it doesn't flow naturally for me. I never really heard it growing up.

I can speak it when Louise Bennett monologues, because she writes phonetically, otherwise it comes out as phony as Malik Yoba in "Cool Runnings". He was passable, but someone with an ear for it can pick it up. In the past, I've always just run my pronunciation through Jamaican friends. They let me know where I have to stretch or place extra emphasis. car vs. keeyaar (all one syllable)  :)

:)  I can understand it too.  I can speak a word or two.  I have several Jamaican friends.  In some ways, it's not much different than the pidgin they speak here. 

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #78 on: January 22, 2007, 11:07:44 PM »
:)  I can understand it too.  I can speak a word or two.  I have several Jamaican friends.  In some ways, it's not much different than the pidgin they speak here. 

the interesting thing that I'm discovering, is that it appears from my perspective to be a combination of different pronunciations. If you listen very closely, there are tones of African, but also Dutch, British, Scottish, and very heavily Welsh pronunciations all mixed together. There this Welsh designer whose name escapes me at the moment, but everytime I see him profiled, I swear it sounds like he's speaking Jamaican patois. His mother even sounds like that.

If you can understand it, ...then maybe you might appreciate this joke... very few did.  :-\ I found it hilarious  :P

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=81317.msg1159069#msg1159069
w

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #79 on: January 23, 2007, 07:40:47 AM »
the interesting thing that I'm discovering, is that it appears from my perspective to be a combination of different pronunciations. If you listen very closely, there are tones of African, but also Dutch, British, Scottish, and very heavily Welsh pronunciations all mixed together. There this Welsh designer whose name escapes me at the moment, but everytime I see him profiled, I swear it sounds like he's speaking Jamaican patois. His mother even sounds like that.

If you can understand it, ...then maybe you might appreciate this joke... very few did.  :-\ I found it hilarious  :P

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=81317.msg1159069#msg1159069

LOL.   ;D