Author Topic: why did TOM PLATZ gave up after 1987?  (Read 4348 times)

the shadow

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • THE FLAG OF THE ZAPATISTA ARMY OF LIBERATION
why did TOM PLATZ gave up after 1987?
« on: January 17, 2007, 09:01:17 AM »
i mean this guy looked awesome every year, he placed in the top 5 for majority of the olympias,he was injury free till the very end of his career and was the owner of the sickest legs in bodybuiling..he could have done alot better if he continued to compete
http://musclememory.com/show.php?s=tom+platz&g=M
RATM RULZ THE WORLD

kyomu

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • トホカミエミタメ ハラヒタマヒ キヨメタマフ
Re: why did TOM PLATZ gave up after 1987?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 09:05:44 AM »
i dont think so. his upper body is icredibly narrow.
i saw him in venice long time ago and he trains like crazy though...

the shadow

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 09:07:32 AM »
but i think so if he gave more time in building his upper body,i think so he could have faired well in some shows in the 1990's
RATM RULZ THE WORLD

hipolito mejia

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 09:16:24 AM »
i mean this guy looked awesome every year, he placed in the top 5 for majority of the olympias,he was injury free till the very end of his career and was the owner of the sickest legs in bodybuiling..he could have done alot better if he continued to compete
http://musclememory.com/show.php?s=tom+platz&g=M

he was the best man in mr.O 1981, then he tore his bicep.

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
  • It’s about how hard you can GET hit...
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 09:23:44 AM »
but i think so if he gave more time in building his upper body,i think so he could have faired well in some shows in the 1990's

He gave his upper body lots of work and I witnessed many of his insane workouts. His upper body improved quite a bit but simply didn't have the genetic potential of his legs.
and keep moving!

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 09:25:01 AM »
Dude, he was basically a short guy with massive legs and not much else, ala branch except branch has built a damn good upper body now. He was a genetic freak, and I don't think he realy knew how to train. I remember one workout of his, for back, consisted of something like 50 sets of pulley rows, and 50 sets of pulldowns or something ridiuculous, I mean its obv he trained hard, but certainly not smart.

the shadow

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 09:25:19 AM »
He gave his upper body lots of work and I witnessed many of his insane workouts. His upper body improved quite a bit but simply didn't have the genetic potential of his legs.
but i think so he trained his legs too damn much..i think so at he end of his career his legs over powered his upper body by a mile
RATM RULZ THE WORLD

the shadow

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2007, 09:27:13 AM »
Dude, he was basically a short guy with massive legs and not much else, ala branch except branch has built a damn good upper body now. He was a genetic freak, and I don't think he realy knew how to train. I remember one workout of his, for back, consisted of something like 50 sets of pulley rows, and 50 sets of pulldowns or something ridiuculous, I mean its obv he trained hard, but certainly not smart.
but never hard of him ever getting injured though..his legs looked like fuggin tree trunks
RATM RULZ THE WORLD

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2007, 09:29:20 AM »

Well in that pic above he is extremely narrow. No delt mass  at all.

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2007, 09:49:27 AM »
but never hard of him ever getting injured though..his legs looked like fuggin tree trunks

I never heard of him getting injured either, but i started following bbing in 94, so I missed platz "golden years", as they say.

Dan-O

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2007, 09:52:39 AM »
Platz's competitive career was pretty much finished after he tore his bicep while training for the 1982 Olympia.  It's a shame because he really looked amazing in 1981 and his upper body was starting to catch up to his legs.

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2007, 09:52:44 AM »
He tore his bicep in 82, I believe, as he was prepping for the Olympia. Had he not tore his bicep, many believe the O that year would have been his.

Mr. Michael Moore

• Getbig IV
  • A pretty good weight, for a small woman !
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2007, 10:37:23 AM »
Fucking politics again at work @ Olympia'81. Franco and Arnie are the ones to blame, again. Arnold and Jim Lorimer had put on that show, I believe. That was the year Franco exploded his knees at the WOM competition, running with a refrigerator on his back. It was at the beginning of that year, and months later he was able to win the O. with NO LEGS whatsoever. I have that video. The moment Franco was called upon by Platz to compare legs onstage it's a sad moment, guys. Platz shook up his leg the way he made famous and whoosh! , it was embaressment time for Franco all over....

These fucking mobsters from the IFBB have been screwing good carrers for such a long time.
Train forever !

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2007, 10:58:39 AM »
Franco blew his knee out long before he appeared onstage at the 81 Olympia. I think it was 77 or so that he did the Strongman competition and showed that humans should not carry refrigerators on their backs!!! 

http://ironage.us/yabbse/index.php?topic=6984.0

http://ironage.us/yabbse/index.php?topic=2091.0

Mr. Michael Moore

• Getbig IV
  • A pretty good weight, for a small woman !
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2007, 11:12:13 AM »
Franco blew his knee out long before he appeared onstage at the 81 Olympia. I think it was 77 or so that he did the Strongman competition and showed that humans should not carry refrigerators on their backs!!! 

I stand corrected. I am sure I was meaning the injury to the knee that he suffered while filming CONAN with Arnie, like the links you posted tells the story. Thanks.
Train forever !

chris2489

• Getbig II
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2007, 11:22:16 AM »

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2007, 01:56:48 PM »
but i think so he trained his legs too damn much..i think so at he end of his career his legs over powered his upper body by a mile

I saw him train a lot at Venice.  He gave his upper body lots of attention.  He had narrow clavicles, nothing you can do about that.  He did have a fantastic chest, though. 

Dingleberry

• Getbig IV
  • My nuts, your chin, any questions?
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2007, 02:07:25 PM »
tiny-tit bounty hunter

natural al

• Getbig V
  • like it or don't, learn to live with it..whooooooo
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2007, 03:21:12 PM »
Tom retired cause he was doing very well in contests anymore, he was out of the top 10 at the 86 olympia nad didn't place well at the 87 Detroit Grand Prix....
nasser=piece of shit

Sergio Rules 77

• Getbig III
  • Sergio can split the atom. With his bare hands.
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2007, 03:49:23 PM »

A few people seem to be like "Well Franco deserved to win the 1981 Olympia based on his perseverance alone coming back from such an injury, what a guy" WTF ?. Well, yes, he did come back from a horrendous injury and that's to be commended but they are judging the best physique, it's not a bleeding heart contest. Give him a round of applause but don't give him the Mr Olympia title.

SERGIO!!!!
Ugh, my retirement grease

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2007, 03:52:37 PM »
A few people seem to be like "Well Franco deserved to win the 1981 Olympia based on his perseverance alone coming back from such an injury, what a guy" WTF ?. Well, yes, he did come back from a horrendous injury and that's to be commended but they are judging the best physique, it's not a bleeding heart contest. Give him a round of applause but don't give him the Mr Olympia title.

SERGIO!!!!

I don't know how the fuck you got any of that from my post.
I never said an opinion either way on whether Franco should have won or not in my post.
So, for the record, I think the top three in ANY order should have been Platz, Callender and Padilla. Either three of them could have won, and I wouldn't have argued either way.
No learn to do more than shout Sergio and read. Comprehension is a good place to start. >:(

Sergio Rules 77

• Getbig III
  • Sergio can split the atom. With his bare hands.
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2007, 03:59:41 PM »
I don't know how the f**k you got any of that from my post.
I never said an opinion either way on whether Franco should have won or not in my post.
So, for the record, I think the top three in ANY order should have been Platz, Callender and Padilla. Either three of them could have won, and I wouldn't have argued either way.
No learn to do more than shout Sergio and read. Comprehension is a good place to start. >:(

Woe, Woe, back up a bit. I was referring to the posts over at ironage, not your post here.

SERGIO!!!!
Ugh, my retirement grease

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2007, 04:12:27 PM »
Platz's competitive career was pretty much finished after he tore his bicep while training for the 1982 Olympia.  It's a shame because he really looked amazing in 1981 and his upper body was starting to catch up to his legs.

Right on the money.
a

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2007, 04:27:14 PM »
Woe, Woe, back up a bit. I was referring to the posts over at ironage, not your post here.

SERGIO!!!!

Should have you pointed that out? ;)