Author Topic: Senators Agree on Iraq War Resolution  (Read 775 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Senators Agree on Iraq War Resolution
« on: January 17, 2007, 12:16:07 PM »
Senators Agree on Iraq War Resolution

By ANNE FLAHERTY
Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) -- A group of senators including a Republican war critic announced agreement Wednesday on a resolution opposing President Bush's 21,500 troop build up in Iraq, setting the markers for a major clash between the White House and Congress over the unpopular war.

The non-binding resolution, which was also gaining interest from a second key Republican, would symbolically put the Senate on record as saying the U.S. commitment in Iraq "can only be sustained" with popular support among the American public and in Congress.

"I will do everything I can to stop the president's policy as he outlined it Wednesday night," said Sen. Chuck Hagel, a Nebraska Republican and potential 2008 presidential candidate, who joined Democrats at a press conference on the resolution. "I think it is dangerously irresponsible," Hagel said.

Even as skeptical Republicans were summoned to private meetings with Bush and national security adviser Stephen Hadley at the White House, Bush's aides made clear that the Capitol Hill challenge would be met aggressively by the administration.

Presidential spokesman Tony Snow said resolutions passed by Congress will not affect Bush's decision-making.

"The president has obligations as a commander in chief," he said. "And he will go ahead and execute them."

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_IRAQ?SITE=HIHAD&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Senators Agree on Iraq War Resolution
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 12:29:15 PM »
checks and balances.

It took 5 years, but they're finally beginning it. 

If it's met positively in polls, I'm betting we see 5 more this year.