Author Topic: Marty Stays With Chargers  (Read 3099 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Marty Stays With Chargers
« on: January 17, 2007, 03:42:52 PM »
Schottenheimer staying on but refuses extensionESPN.com news services

Marty Schottenheimer, left, is out of the playoffs, while Tony Dungy moves on.SAN DIEGO -- Marty Schottenheimer will return as coach of the San Diego Chargers next season, but turned down a one-year extension for 2008 worth $4.5 million.

Team president Dean Spanos ended three days of speculation when he said in a statement Wednesday that the embattled coach will be back for the final year of his contact.

There had been speculation following Sunday's 24-21 loss to the New England Patriots that Schottenheimer might be fired due to his icy relationship with general manager A.J. Smith.

"I have decided that Marty Schottenheimer is the best person to lead the Chargers in the 2007 season," Spanos said. "General Manager A.J. Smith and I agree on this fundamental point."

Spanos said Schottenheimer was offered a one-year, $4.5 million contract extension.

"He decided not to accept this extension and I respect his decision," Spanos said.

Schottenheimer was to attend an afternoon news conference.

The Chargers failed to advance in the playoffs despite their NFL-best 14-2 record.

"We are all bitterly disappointed how this season ended, but we can't allow our disappointment to cloud the achievements of our franchise over the past few years," Spanos said. "Now it is time to put this issue behind us and move forward together."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2734129

body88

Re: Marty Stays With Chargers
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 03:50:37 PM »
This is great news for the pats, colts and all the other afc contender's.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 04:13:11 PM »
lol.  At least when it comes to the playoffs.   :)

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 04:29:47 PM »
Chargers are going to be the best team in the NFL for the next 3-4 years at least. Marty better shape up or get the fuck out.

body88

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 04:38:06 PM »
Chargers are going to be the best team in the NFL for the next 3-4 years at least. Marty better shape up or get the f**k out.

I agree, but the injury gods where lucky to them this year. I would love to see Marty in the playoffs, with lt and a few other key guys hurt. Can you imagine that? If he could not fall back on the talent advantage he has over most every team in the NFL. If he had to coach his way out of a situation. I think the chargers should have canned him and moved on.

Then again you look in the stands this past sunday, and it looked like a backstreet boys concert. So hell, cant say I'm surprised.

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 05:07:32 PM »
I don't know. They're on the verge of greatness. Might as well give Marty one more shot. Rivers and LT were both a little banged up going into the playoffs, also. They're my pick for next year as of this point.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 06:53:00 PM »
This is great news for the pats, colts and all the other afc contender's.

LOL

So true.

They should fire him after Week 17 next season, just to be on the safe side. 

thisiskeith12

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2007, 07:45:59 PM »
You can't blame Schottenheimer for missed catches. The Chargers dropped so many easy passes against NE it was silly.

body88

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2007, 08:08:42 PM »
You can't blame Schottenheimer for missed catches. The Chargers dropped so many easy passes against NE it was silly.

They dropped a few, and had many others blasted out of there hands when they got hit. Marty should never have thrown that challenge flag. It was a clear strip made by Troy Brown. That was a retarded challenge. They had no timeouts at the end of the game because of that. Marty should have never gone for it on 4th and 11 only to get stuffed. He should teach his players not to head butt other players in front of refs. Lastly he should have let LT touch the ball more then 9 times in the second half. Those are a few of his many blunders.

Marty has so much talent on that team he really has no excuse. That and he did the same thing with powerful teams 5 times before. Football games in the playoffs are not won by the team with the most talent. They are won by teams with the fewest turnovers and who execute the best. Or teams who capitalize on turnovers and make critical stops when they have to.

When NE played Indy in the regular season they lost by 7 point.They turned the ball over 5 times to Indy on bonehead mistakes. They lost because of penalties and turnovers. They lost because they played undisciplined football. It Did not matter tho, the colts capitalized on all the mistakes the pats made, and executed better, so they won. Rightfully so, if you capitalize on another's teams bonehead play, and get it done, you deserve to win! Same shit happened in the Indy ravens game. Ravens turned it over, and couldn't get it done on offense, while Indy executed, and capitalized on the ravens failures. Did not matter that Indy only scored 15 points by field goals. Did not matter Manning was throwing picks and could not find the endzone. He got it done when he had to. Same shit went for Brady on sunday, got it done when he had to get it done. The whole colts team capitalized on mistakes, and made plays when they had to against the ravens. Mcnair throwing ints from the 10 yard line is the type of shit that will kill you in the playoffs, no matter what you have for talent.

Maybe Marty can win it next year, who knows. I would not bet on it!!!!

thisiskeith12

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2007, 08:22:06 PM »
He deserves another shot. But he will be gone after next year.

body88

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2007, 08:26:17 PM »
He deserves another shot. But he will be gone after next year.

Players love him, so why not. I am only happy because if we have to see them in the playoffs again, there is always that little shot he can pull a Marty. Christ, with the amount of talent on that team, you need some kind of angle against em!

Wombat

• Getbig IV
  • Your name tattooed to my ass!
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2007, 12:52:07 AM »
Chargers are going to be the best team in the NFL for the next 3-4 years at least. Marty better shape up or get the f**k out.

Rivers had a good year but its way to early to know if he can sustain it...I think he can but time will tell...