Schottenheimer staying on but refuses extension
ESPN.com news services
Marty Schottenheimer, left, is out of the playoffs, while Tony Dungy moves on.SAN DIEGO -- Marty Schottenheimer will return as coach of the San Diego Chargers next season, but turned down a one-year extension for 2008 worth $4.5 million.
Team president Dean Spanos ended three days of speculation when he said in a statement Wednesday that the embattled coach will be back for the final year of his contact.
There had been speculation following Sunday's 24-21 loss to the New England Patriots that Schottenheimer might be fired due to his icy relationship with general manager A.J. Smith.
"I have decided that Marty Schottenheimer is the best person to lead the Chargers in the 2007 season," Spanos said. "General Manager A.J. Smith and I agree on this fundamental point."
Spanos said Schottenheimer was offered a one-year, $4.5 million contract extension.
"He decided not to accept this extension and I respect his decision," Spanos said.
Schottenheimer was to attend an afternoon news conference.
The Chargers failed to advance in the playoffs despite their NFL-best 14-2 record.
"We are all bitterly disappointed how this season ended, but we can't allow our disappointment to cloud the achievements of our franchise over the past few years," Spanos said. "Now it is time to put this issue behind us and move forward together." http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2734129