Author Topic: Give us guns – and troops can go, says Iraqi leader  (Read 3128 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Give us guns – and troops can go, says Iraqi leader
« on: January 17, 2007, 06:16:01 PM »
Prime Minister wants change of US policy
Mistakes over Saddam hanging, Times told

America’s refusal to give Baghdad’s security forces sufficient guns and equipment has cost a great number of lives, the Iraqi Prime Minister said yesterday.

Nouri al-Maliki said the insurgency had been bloodier and prolonged because Washington had refused to part with equipment. If it released the necessary arms, US forces could “drastically” cut their numbers in three to six months, he told The Times.

In a sign of the tense relations with Washington, he chided the US for suggesting his Government was living on “borrowed time”. Such criticism boosted Iraq’s extremists, he said, and was more a reflection of “some kind of crisis situation” in Washington after the Republicans’ midterm election losses. Mr al-Maliki conceded that his administration had made mistakes over the hanging of Saddam Hussein. But he refused to accept all criticism over the execution. When asked about the Italian Prime Minister Romano Prodi’s attack on Iraq’s capital punishment laws, Mr al-

Maliki cited the Italians’ summary killing of Benito Mussolini and his stringing-up from a lamppost.

Asked how long Iraq would require US troops, Mr al-Maliki said: “If we succeed in implementing the agreement between us to speed up the equipping and providing weapons to our military forces, I think that within three to six months our need for American troops will dramatically go down. That is on condition that there are real, strong efforts to support our military forces and equipping and arming them.”

The US Government is wary of handing over large amounts of military hardware to the Iraqis because it has sometimes ended up in the hands of militias and insurgents.

Gordon Johndroe, the White House national security spokesman, conceded that some of Mr al-Maliki’s criticism was “valid”. The training and equipping of Iraqi troops would be speeded up, he said, adding that by “self-admission we have had to redo our training and equipment programme”.

Although Mr al-Maliki’s tone was measured throughout, he is clearly irritated at US criticism that he has failed to curb Shia militias. Robert Gates, the new US Defence Secretary, said that Mr al-Maliki could lose his job if he failed to stop communal bloodshed and Condoleezza Rice, the Secretary of State, gave a warning that he was living on “borrowed time” and that American patience was running out.

Challenged on the point, Mr al-Maliki remarked acidly: “Certain officials are going through a crisis. Secretary Rice is expressing her own point of view if she thinks that the Government is on borrowed time, whether it is borrowed time for the Iraqi Government or American Administration. I don’t think we are on borrowed time.”

He added: “I wish that we could receive strong messages of support from the US so we don’t give some boost to the terrorists and make them feel that they might have achieved success. I believe that such statements give moral boosts to the terrorists and push them towards making an extra effort and making them believe that they have defeated the American Administration, but I can tell you that they haven’t defeated the Iraqi Government.”

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
Re: Give us guns – and troops can go, says Iraqi leader
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 06:26:22 PM »
right we spent billions of $ of establish a presence there just aso we could leave...   :-\

carpe` vaginum!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 06:29:17 PM »
$400 billion.

Now they're saying "Give us guns and you can leave in 3 to 6 months".

It matches the wishes of majority of Iraqis, Iraqi officials, Americans, Congress...

The only people who wouldn't like that option?

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 06:32:09 PM »
we aint leaving...

Rob..for your faimlys sake..

put $ away in an offshore ..non US $ account..

pref gold..
carpe` vaginum!

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 08:28:13 PM »
Give them their aks and fuckin bail.

BRUCE

• Getbig IV
  • Different Dunes, Same Sand
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 08:52:24 PM »
Give them their aks and fuckin bail.

Everytime you make a comment like this it depreciates the value of your words here.  You expose yourself as uncompassionate.
Thread Killer

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 10:06:24 PM »
The new iraqi goverment is still in its infancy, there is still a tremendous amount of bribery and theft going on, as well as a large contingent of loyal saddam followers lurking around. I would guess we will be there for about 10 more years in full force, eradicating insurgents and helping the iraqi people create a more stabilized democracy of some kind. Just kill their leader and drop off some guns and pray for the best eh? Thats a shitty plan if you ask me. You have to remember, these people lived their whole lives under a ruthless dictator, they are used to a somewhat savage and primitive way of life, and we offer the chance to live life peacefully and without worry of being kidnapped or shot on the way to 7-11. I'd say we are doing a lot of good.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2007, 10:07:32 PM »
The new iraqi goverment is still in its infancy, there is still a tremendous amount of bribery and theft going on, as well as a large contingent of loyal saddam followers lurking around. I would guess we will be there for about 10 more years in full force, eradicating insurgents and helping the iraqi people create a more stabilized democracy of some kind. Just kill their leader and drop off some guns and pray for the best eh? Thats a shitty plan if you ask me. You have to remember, these people lived their whole lives under a ruthless dictator, they are used to a somewhat savage and primitive way of life, and we offer the chance to live life peacefully and without worry of being kidnapped or shot on the way to 7-11. I'd say we are doing a lot of good.

We've spent $400 billion so far.

Should we have spent that money on improving the USA?

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2007, 10:20:33 PM »
We've spent $400 billion so far.

Should we have spent that money on improving the USA?

We've dished out nearly that much in welfare over the years so lazy people can sit on their asses and do nothing and collect free money, does that count as improving the USA? You know what would improve the USA? Eliminating welfare and free money and healthcare for able bodied people who don't work, closing down our borders, and working to strengthn our borders language and culture, that would greatly improve america. Unfortunately the left doesnt want this to happen, so the gov is focusing on other things going on in the world, like stopping terrorism and securing our energies for the next 100 years. How irresponsible of them  ::)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2007, 10:25:36 PM »
hell yeah, i agree compeltely about cutting off the beggars here. 

but i think we should focus on alternative energy here instead of warring for it.

Remember that brazil bacause oil-independent using alternative sources.  I bet the US brains and research ability, along with $400B, could have easily done the same.  And if we all left, the jihadists could kill each other all they wanted.  We could lock up the borders, and live safe.

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2007, 11:21:19 PM »
Don't you think it's a bit odd the way we keep saying: GIVE us more guns and there will be peace... If we would have paid attention we would have found out ages ago, that Guns never solve any problems, they just make them go away for a while but they come back and the headache that comes with the hangover is a real killer.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2007, 11:24:23 PM »
I love my guns :)  I don't take a dump without a glock within reach.  2 dudes tried to kill my little brother last year when they robbed his pharmacy.

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2007, 11:26:37 PM »
hell yeah, i agree compeltely about cutting off the beggars here. 

but i think we should focus on alternative energy here instead of warring for it.

Remember that brazil bacause oil-independent using alternative sources.  I bet the US brains and research ability, along with $400B, could have easily done the same.  And if we all left, the jihadists could kill each other all they wanted.  We could lock up the borders, and live safe.

Well that's something of "the dream" isn't it? We produce our own energy, leave the sand people to destroy themselves etc. Its not so simple, oil is the cornerstone of the global economy, im sure we will produce alternative energy, in 50 years, but you cannot change things to drastically without disrupting money around the world. Brazil is half the size population and has a third the cars and oil usage as california, it's not something we could do as a whole country very quickly unless we HAD to.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2007, 11:27:51 PM »
true.  maybe we could buy 1/2 of mexico for $400b and set up the ethanol farms there. 

i know they love oil so it's gonna stay oil, would piss off the big 3 automakers too much anyway.

Jeff Miller

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2007, 04:12:51 AM »
I'm not touching this one
ChuckNorrisFearsMe

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2007, 06:08:39 AM »

Old_Rooster

• Getbig IV
  • SquadFathers mom gave me a BJ
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2007, 11:44:47 AM »
$400 billion.

Now they're saying "Give us guns and you can leave in 3 to 6 months".

It matches the wishes of majority of Iraqis, Iraqi officials, Americans, Congress...

The only people who wouldn't like that option?

they haven't weeded out the bad apples in the military and police in iraq yet and you just want to give guns to every muhammad that says hes a good apple?  jesus h christ, what wisdom you have grasshopper.
Benjamin Pearson-Pedo

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2007, 12:43:10 PM »
they haven't weeded out the bad apples in the military and police in iraq yet and you just want to give guns to every muhammad that says hes a good apple?  jesus h christ, what wisdom you have grasshopper.

hey genius, we give them guns, we leave.  They can cook each other all they want, and you and I can save our tax dollars.  You got a problem with that?

Old_Rooster

• Getbig IV
  • SquadFathers mom gave me a BJ
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2007, 01:19:22 PM »
hey genius, we give them guns, we leave.  They can cook each other all they want, and you and I can save our tax dollars.  You got a problem with that?

Actually I do because I want it done right, I want those towelheads to enjoy their freedom.  Leaving is not an option til the region is safe.  hmmmm, actually i'd just as soon nuke the entire middle east if we can save the oil....
Benjamin Pearson-Pedo

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2007, 01:37:45 PM »
We've dished out nearly that much in welfare over the years so lazy people can sit on their asses and do nothing and collect free money, does that count as improving the USA? You know what would improve the USA? Eliminating welfare and free money and healthcare for able bodied people who don't work, closing down our borders, and working to strengthn our borders language and culture, that would greatly improve america. Unfortunately the left doesnt want this to happen, so the gov is focusing on other things going on in the world, like stopping terrorism and securing our energies for the next 100 years. How irresponsible of them  ::)

EVERY German household's water heater is powered by solar power. They have less sunny days than Washington state. Its mandated there. If we took 20,000 acres in the desert in Arizona and put in a solar power farm we could supply the whole country with electricity. Of course oild and power utilities wouldn't like it. If you made a wind farm of 20,000 acres in Nebraska the same could be done.
The House that Ruth built

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2007, 01:49:02 PM »
Of course oil and power utilities wouldn't like it.

Luckily, our political process isn't influenced by big corporations.

HAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA