Author Topic: Barbarian Brothers tribute video  (Read 3634 times)

chris2489

• Getbig II
Barbarian Brothers tribute video
« on: January 18, 2007, 11:04:36 AM »

chris2489

• Getbig II
Re: Barbarian Brothers tribute video
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 11:07:15 AM »
Just so you know thats them rapping.

chris2489

• Getbig II
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 11:28:18 AM »
From sammysdad over at intensemuscle

"The Barbarian Brothers were really good guys. I trained on and of with them (mostly David) for about a year in the early 80's.

A couple of Barbarian Stories:

I once asked them how they got the nick name and David told me in college they never would wash their gym clothes. They would workout between classes in their street clothes then just dry the sweat off in the dryer and put them back on. Once a girl said they were a couple of filthy barbarians and it stuck.

David (who by the way is one of the nicest guys you would ever meet with no temper at all) was arguing with his girlfreind (at the time) Peggy in front of the gym and threw his coffee on the ground. Some of it got on her shoes and she flipped!!!! He said "I'm sorry I didn't mean it" to which she replied "I know, youre not smart enough to plan something that good!" to this he just kind of smiled.

He didn't have an angry bone in his body. I wish we had kept in touch but I haven't spoken with him in probably 19 years. The last time I spoke with either of them Peter answered the phone and said in a muffled voice "Can't talk right now-just had all the fat sucked out of my face"

As far as training stories go they used to smack each other between sets, spit on the floor and leave their weights all over the place. Stuff that would drive you nuts but they were so likable you just couldn't be mad at them.

Once me and David had an argument about training legs (which he was never that fond of) I can't remember the entire argument but I remember saying he was wrong and that's why his legs sucked. He told me my legs sucked too and he wasn't going to train with me anymore. The next day I walk into the gym and he's sitting there drinking a quart of chocolate milk and say's "Where have you been? We got shoulder's today" the argument was never mentioned again. By the way I should mention I had just turned 16 at the time and had no right to say anyones anything sucked. The next leg workout he buried 6 plates for at least 5 on front squats (I think I got 250) then he went up to 495 for 5 on regular squats (I did 315) and I believe after that we did "3 sets of every leg exercise we could think of". I couldn't walk for a week after that. I don't know how I ever recovered from those workouts. I actually went from 175 to 200 in 6 months training with them.

One time David said I didn't eat enough calories so he recommended that I mix 12 whole eggs with 2 scoops of ice cream and a quart of milk in a blender and drink it right before bed. I chugged it down and it felt like my belly was going to burst open. After laying around my apartment for almost 2 hours I had to force myself to throw up because I couldn't take the pain anymore. I told him about it the next day and he said I was a pussy and I'd get used to it. So I went home that night and tried it again this time with only half what he recommended. I added an egg every day until I could handle the entire shake and then it became a staple every night. Progressive resistance eating at it's finest-lol"

chris2489

• Getbig II
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 11:34:19 AM »
Continued...........

Did 50 sets of heavy 5's for back with Peter and David Paull (The "Barbarian Brothers") using the worst form you've ever seen.

Believed David when he told me it was okay to cheat on heavy rowing exercises. His reasoning: "What are we working? Back right? Well if you cheat what are you using? Back right?...Throw on another 45!" I think he had a deal with my chiro..........

dodger

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007, 12:06:09 PM »
hey Chris some good stuff there,but how they got the name Barbarians is not the same story DAVID told me how they got it.David said one day while training back when they first arrived out in Gold's,Joe Weider came down to Gold's to see what was all the buzz about these 2 strong twins that just arrived.So David saw him come in the doors and told Peter to find him the biggest dumbbell they have and David started doing 1 arm dumbell rows with the 200 pounders and making all kinds of noises and sounds and ended up doing 38 reps while Joe was watching and then after David was done,he puked(threw up)all over the mat and then threw the dumbbell in the puke and making grunting noises.So then Joe freaked and said what the hell of kind of training is that,and it just came to him(david) and said "barbarian" training-no thinking,just reacting!!So Joe loved it and immediately ordered for a magazine shoot and story on the now former "barbarian brothers".They are so funny and super talented.David is a real nice guy like you say.

Steve Pulcinella

• Getbig II
  • www.ironsport.com
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 12:08:57 PM »
Chris, great stories. I remember when they fist burst onto the scene too, I was about 16 and used to love to see articles on them in the BB mags. Funny looking back on the videos of them now with the poofy Paula Abdul haidos and those giant rag tops they always wore.

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 12:11:47 PM »
the lyrics blow

chris2489

• Getbig II
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007, 12:18:03 PM »
hey Chris some good stuff there,but how they got the name Barbarians is not the same story DAVID told me how they got it.David said one day while training back when they first arrived out in Gold's,Joe Weider came down to Gold's to see what was all the buzz about these 2 strong twins that just arrived.So David saw him come in the doors and told Peter to find him the biggest dumbbell they have and David started doing 1 arm dumbell rows with the 200 pounders and making all kinds of noises and sounds and ended up doing 38 reps while Joe was watching and then after David was done,he puked(threw up)all over the mat and then threw the dumbbell in the puke and making grunting noises.So then Joe freaked and said what the hell of kind of training is that,and it just came to him(david) and said "barbarian" training-no thinking,just reacting!!So Joe loved it and immediately ordered for a magazine shoot and story on the now former "barbarian brothers".They are so funny and super talented.David is a real nice guy like you say.

Thats a funny story. That story is from someone who goes by sammysdad over at intense muscle, there not mine.

chris2489

• Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2007, 12:37:32 PM »
Dodger, both stories could be right. Maybe the girl called them Barbarians and later on when weider asked them what kind of training is that, the thought of being called a barbarian came to his mind and just used it for the name of his training.

dodger

• Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2007, 12:41:35 PM »
Dodger, both stories could be right. Maybe the girl called them Barbarians and later on when weider asked them what kind of training is that, the thought of being called a barbarian came to his mind and just used it for the name of his training.
yeah you're probably right,how can i download that "whatcha looking at" song so i can have it on my own music.

davidpaul

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2007, 01:20:36 PM »
one of the brothers posts on this site, his gimmick is blockhead.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2007, 09:34:39 PM »
one of the brothers posts on this site, his gimmick is blockhead.

::)

davidpaul

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2007, 03:08:58 AM »
::)

u got a fanclub down at the V Keith, they love you down there. :)

TheAnimal

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2007, 03:42:19 AM »
I always hear/see people refering to these guys yet I have no idea about them but those stories seem pretty cool.

the shadow

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • THE FLAG OF THE ZAPATISTA ARMY OF LIBERATION
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2007, 03:51:25 AM »
the barbarians had real raw power.shame they did'nt competed
RATM RULZ THE WORLD

the shadow

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • THE FLAG OF THE ZAPATISTA ARMY OF LIBERATION
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2007, 03:54:49 AM »
they lifted heavy weights just for the sake of lifting them but still impressive as hell
RATM RULZ THE WORLD

MarvinEderFan

• Getbig III
  • m
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2009, 12:33:03 PM »
Bumping this thread - great stories!

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2009, 02:18:09 PM »
they lifted heavy weights just for the sake of lifting them but still impressive as hell
I heard one was dead now is that true?

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2009, 03:26:30 PM »
  Which one died?

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2009, 03:38:27 PM »
  Which one died?
Not sure there was post awhile back stating one did not sure if its true...trying to find out.

Nizar

• Getbig II
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2009, 04:34:30 PM »
I remember seeing them on DC cab. Didn't know who they were then

noworries

• Getbig V
  • Train Heavy or Go Home
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2009, 05:46:23 PM »
They actually have a few really good training songs.  War With the Weights was pretty good.  The Harley Davidson song is really good
No Worries 4 me

Rudee

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2009, 09:17:47 PM »
Bumping this thread - great stories!

Moron.    ::)